Vintage Ladies 9K Gold Case Swiss Made General Watch

Thread: Vintage Ladies 9K Gold Case Swiss Made General Watch

Vintage Ladies 9K Gold Case Swiss Made General Watch

Hello All,

I recently inherited an old 9K gold case (stamped 375 on the side) swiss made ladies manual wind General watch. The watch runs. It belonged to my Grandmother in the UK. I don't know how old it is, but she would be 115 today, if she were still alive. The watch looks all original, except for the band. It measures approximately 32mm lug to lug, by 27mm in diameter, with a lug size of 17mm.

Perhaps someone here can tell me more about this watch? Does it have any value above scrap value? Any help would be much appreciated.

I don't seem to be able to insert or attach pics, so please click on the links below.

http://home.mountaincable.net/~peten/General9KFace.jpg

http://home.mountaincable.net/~peten/General9KBack.jpg

Thanks,

Phil

Re: Vintage Ladies 9K Gold Case Swiss Made General Watch

Given the dimensions and style of bracelet it's a man's watch. The General Watch Company was absorbed into what eventually became Swatch. If you could get a picture of the movement we could tell you more. The cushion case styling suggests pre WWII the bracelet post WWII.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I know next to nothing about watches... My Mom has some vintage watches that were passed down through the family, so I am hoping to find out some more about them. The watches have no real sentimental value to my Mom. She is a pensioner, on a fixed income, so I thought I would probably sell them on eBay, to make a little money for her. I haven't searched online for information on all the watches yet, so if you or others are up to the challenge, I may be asking for more advice/help in the future.

I should have guessed it was a man's watch; I thought it belonged to my Grandmother, but it was her brother-in-laws. I had the time today, so I carefully opened the watch case, and took several photos. I was unable to insert or attach a photo to this post, (I kept getting errors), so I have stitched all the photos together, so there is only one link below to click on, as opposed to ten. The stitched image is about 600 KB. The last photo in the stitched image shows a hallmark inside the watch case.

Any help would be much appreciated. Perhaps a ballpark starting price on eBay, if possible??? I don't want to price it as scrap, if it has some value above scrap value, and of course I don't want to start it too low, and there only be one bidder, and end up giving it away so to speak.

http://home.mountaincable.net/~peten...ManualWind.jpg

Thanks,

Phil
    Last edited by Phil66; January 6th, 2011 at 22:28.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here's a link bidfun-db Helvetia_82C: Helvetia 82C it should give you some information to research.

Hi. We don't attempt valuations in here. But, if it helps, I bought an Helvetia in good working condition with the same movement off ebay a couple of years ago for £17.80. Not in a gold case, of course.

Name:  Helvetia 82C (3).JPG
Views: 1699
Size:  104.8 KB
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Hi,

Thanks guys for all your help, using the website provided earlier, and some other online sources, I did find out more or less what I was looking for.

Phil

Thread Information