Vintage Ladies Hamilton watch band help

Thread: Vintage Ladies Hamilton watch band help

Vintage Ladies Hamilton watch band help

My wife was given her great grandmothers old watch. It is a Hamilton and the band on it has been replaced once.

The current band is one that she doesnt care for and it is actually too small for the watch. I am not familiar enough with these watches or bands to be able to tell what kind it is, but its basically one of the bands that fit like a true bracelet. Its metal links and has some sort of elastic in between the links to stretch to fit over your fist and then onto your wrist. There is no clasp or buckle.

I want to replace the band, but cant seem to find any to fit it. It doesnt have your regular pin-hole/springbar lug attachment. Its more of a metal bar that the band would clasp to. Picture attached.

Any ideas on where to buy old metal bands for vintage watches?

Thanks ahead of time for any help/suggestions......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by phils_66; September 25th, 2008 at 22:28. Reason: attached pic

Re: Vintage Ladies Hamilton watch band help

Sounds like the watch has a replacement expansion bracelet on it from the 1950s.
    Vintage ladies watches usually came with a ribbon like strap, a cord-like strap , or a chain with some sort of clasp like a deployant buckle.
    You might try looking online for examples similar to your watch to get ideas.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

It sounds to me what is normally called a flex band on a wire lug watch

Ebay is probably the best place to browse and purchase such a band

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

All

I have included a picture of the watch and the current band on it (obviously too small for it). If anyone can assist with narrowing down where I could find some nice straps or metal bracelets that would fit, I would appreciate it. I believe that the lug size is 17mm. Thanks again to all for the information so far. I look forward to your responses.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd take it to a really good watchmaker and see if he has any suggestions. I think a leather open end strap would fit it. Or some sort of ribbon band. An expansion band is totally wrong for such a watch.
    That watch is probably from the 1910s or very early 1920s. We can ID it for you exactly if you can get the serial number from the movement. Very nice Art Deco type case.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks Ray. I will do as you suggested. Also, I will get the serial # and post it so you guys can help me ID it. I dont know that much about vintage watches, but from what I can tell, its got a nice design and seems to be a pretty neat old watch. She really likes it and wants to wear it, so I am doing my part and helping her find a nice strap for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    I'd take it to a really good watchmaker and see if he has any suggestions. I think a leather open end strap would fit it. Or some sort of ribbon band. An expansion band is totally wrong for such a watch.
    That watch is probably from the 1910s or very early 1920s. We can ID it for you exactly if you can get the serial number from the movement. Very nice Art Deco type case.

Ray and all,

The number on the movement from the inside of the watch is # 270411. Its a Hamilton and it was my wifes grandmothers watch. Any information you guys could give me on this watch would be much appreciated!! Maybe your additional information or research will have specs on the watch and I can find out the exact measurements for the fixed lugs.

Thanks again!

Philip

Serial number can't be correct as that one corresponds to a grade 940 21J 18S railroad model from 1903.
    What we would have is specs on the movement, not the case which is a separate piece.
    Could you recheck the number with a magnifying glass?

Thread Information