Vintage Ladies' Waltham - Info/Advice?

Thread: Vintage Ladies' Waltham - Info/Advice?

Vintage Ladies' Waltham - Info/Advice?

It's not often I venture into the Vintage forum, but I'm in need of some help from the experts. Pictured below is a Waltham ladies' wristwatch that was my great-grandmother's. Apparently my mom has had it for years, and wanted to have it repaired, but didn't know any better than to take it to the mall, where the jeweler ushered her back out the door, of course. I don't know anything about Walthams, so if anyone can provide any information on the watch, I'd appreciate it. My mom says the caseback is blank. She also says it does not run at all - it feels "overwound" to her. I'm guessing the watch isn't worth anything, but I'm considering trying to get it fixed and perhaps have some restoration done. She says the crystal is in good condition, but it's obvious that the dial has issues. Are there any watchmakers out there that are considered experts with Walthams? Any advice on how to proceed would be helpful. Thanks!
    Last edited by abingdon; December 31st, 2011 at 16:35.

Re: Vintage Ladies' Waltham - Info/Advice?

You should get the watch from your mom and open the caseback to take a clear picture of the movement including serial number. This will help to determine the age, which in this case might be 1920'ies +/-. There is no such thing as an overwound watch, but it will need at least a full clean and oil depending on condition. As it was your great-grandmothers watch it is a good heirloom and something you should consider having serviced and passed on to the next generations. Any competent watchmaker can fix this, but don't go to a mall jeweler.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Thanks, I'm hoping to get her to send it to me so I can work on it. If/when I get my hands on it I'll work on getting a shot of the movement (I'm not going to ask my mom to d it herself). I know better than to take it to a mall - I have noticed a local watchmaker but I've never used him/her before.

Still curious if there are any experts out there that might be able to do more restorative work to this watch beyond just servicing the movement?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hey folks. I have the watch and am ready to have it restored. Does anyone have any experience with Antique Watch Co.? The watchmaker's name is Rusty Tuggle. Site looks reputable but I'm suddenly getting cold feet before sending off a family heirloom to someone I know nothing about.

Not familiar with the site, but I doubt you have much to worry about. The reality of women's watches is that they aren't considered very collectable. There are notable exceptions, but I doubt there are many Waltham's in that category. So in a worst case scenario, you could probably find the exact same movement with a cleaner dial on eBay or otherwise for about $20. That's good news for you, because it means that even if the watchmaker does find something broken in the watch, he should be able to get replacement parts very easily.

Make sure you are very clear with the watchmaker in terms of what you do and don't want them to do. I'd make a point of telling him not to do anything to the watch that can't be easily undone without checking with you first, and to return any broken/replaced parts with the watch.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Did you use Antique Watch Company afterall?

Thread Information