Vintage ladies watch for wedding present
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Vintage ladies watch for wedding present

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage ladies watch for wedding present

Hi all

I'm a newbie to watch collecting (mostly budget related and I had to get a house first), but to cut s long story short I'm getting married next year and would like to get my fiance a vintage watch as a gift and to wear on the day.

I was thinking about a vintage Omega of some sort, but really have no idea about what is good or what I can expect to get.

Could anyone give me a starter for 10? I'm thinking of anything up to around £500 or so, preferably with some sort of papers or box, definitely with the original clasp / buckle.

Nice and small and elegant.

I'm open to all suggestions, it's not until May next year so I have a bit of time to make decisions and source it.

I’ll be wearing my great grandfather's Fischer A1 Cyma pocket watch on the day, just for info.
    Last edited by WildfireS3; November 12th, 2018 at 22:29.

Re: Vintage ladies watch for wedding present

I would recommend you to add a few bucks, and get a beautiful and unique Artdeco wristwatch for her. (I will definitely do the same one day.)

Wouldn't care too much for the brand, and go straight for the look. They are often a bargain, don't be afraid of the Ebay prices. Scrap Price + few Bucks and the watch is often yours.

If you go for ladies' sizes there is actually a lot you can buy for your budget or a tad more. Ladies' watches are generally a lot cheaper than men sized watches. Some watches even have a sort of jewel-like appeal due to the bracelet being made more like a jewelry accessory than a watch. Consider quartz too if she's not a watch gal (can be annoying for some ladies to manual wind or even set the time on automatic watches if they don't wear it for a couple of days). Have a look on ebay to start having an idea of the look/style you want to get. Just be aware that ladies' watches are really small in general (sub 30mm).
    Also, there is a sub forum dedicated to ladies' watches only which might come handy:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f469/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, whatever you do, consider a service for this watch (not only calculating the price, but thinking of the time necessary and May 2019 could even be too late on some brands). Even if you buy a watch declared as 'recently serviced', you can't always know if this is true and what has really been done besides polishing the case. Vintage watches have their risks (especially unserviced) and it wouldn't be good if especially the wedding watch stops running at the wrong moment, before, during or shortly after the wedding. Perhaps you find a reliable source where the watch comes with a prior service.

On a ladies watch, I agree you should rather go for the looks, most of them come for a song compared to a mens watch, as they are not really collectors items.

A quartz watch is a different thing, but the most practical if she would wear it on a daily basis.

Thanks all.

She usually wears a Fitbit most days so I think it will be a nice occasion watch, so an auto or manual would be fine as she could just set it on the day she wants to wear it.

Art-Deco sounds good. Does anyone have any pointers on what to look for?

I'm definitely looking at something small. Although she seems to want my Tag F1 for some reason?? But she's not wearing that on the wedding day.

Good shout on the service. I'm hoping to go see a local watch maker this week about repairing another 1880's pocket watch (probably uneconomical) but it has family sentimentality. I'll see what he thinks.
    Last edited by WildfireS3; November 12th, 2018 at 22:29.

Hi!

The best would be the know her taste and what she prefers.
    I would always suggest to ask for opinion because then you will be sure it's the watch she likes.
    You got good advices from others, about necessity of servicing vintage watch which is additional money to spend.
    Then there is a question whether she will like mechanical watch she would have to wind. Or quartz, as Border-Reiver wrote, is more practical to wear every day without thinking.
    Also one important thing - bracelet is something that attracts attention of women a lot (in my case certainly), because it can be worn as a piece of jewelry.
    OhDark30 likes this.
    -- Mimi --

The question is a bit too open-ended for us to be really helpful. We are talking about nearly 100 years of ladies' watches with virtually no guidance except for "small and elegant". Perhaps the OP can post some photos of watches that are appealing to him and his fiancé, so we can get on the same page.

Also, is it just me, or are the OP's posts full of strange characters that make them hard to read?
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post

Also, is it just me, or are the OP's posts full of strange characters that make them hard to read?

Yes, quite strange characters wherever he was using apostrophe, I guess.
    -- Mimi --

Thanks guys, I'm on it. I'll do a bit of research on the types.

I'm a bit more of a classic almost dress watch fan, so round and probably not any weird and wonderful shapes. I think maybe a bracelet would be nice that I could change out for a nice leather strap so she could wear it out if she wanted.

I think something elegant? She does like art deco though.

As for the weird characters, no idea what's going on there? I made the other posts on my iPhone.
    SunnyOrange likes this.

DON

Real question is. Does she even like watches?

Little tiny vintage ladies watches which were more jewellery that watches with even smaller crowns

While it sounds like a nice idea. That might be it for it and I would really suggest you involve her and get her thoughts on the subjects.

Nothing worse than buying a gift like that and her not wearing it

DON
    SunnyOrange likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information