vintage leonidas chronograph

Thread: vintage leonidas chronograph

vintage leonidas chronograph

I received this watch after my Dad died. He bought it from a buddy in the service in the fifties. It doesn't work at the moment. I would like to identify it and find a watch repairer to fix it. It's 18k gold. There is a serial # on the back, 567596.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3822.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	987.4 KB 
ID:	3056122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3823.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	3056138

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: vintage leonidas chronograph

Welcome to the Vintage forum and congratulations. The movement in your watch is a Cal. Valjoux 72C:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Valjoux 72C

It looks a little tarnished but that may just be dirt and should be nothing that a decent service can't fix. A nice heirloom. Leonidas used to be independent but were bought up by Heuer (now TAG Heuer) in the 1960s.

Hartmut Richter

Hi and welcome
    Your Dad's watch is really a nice piece similar to a Universal Geneve 'tri-compax' (Month day and date)
    Yours had unusual bur very nice blue hands.
    I like it a lot
    Worth getting serviced
    Your Dad had good taste
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi
    I am also a newcomer to this forum! I recently bought a Leonidas Triple Date Moonphase watch. There are photos of it at this link: Leonidas * Triple Date Moonphase Chrono c.1950s | Secondhand and Vintage Watches - Poshtime.co.uk

I am hoping someone may be able to help me synchronise the moon phase dial. At the moment it is about 4 days ahead i.e. the full moon symbol is central in the dial about 4 days before the actual full moon. I have tried winding the main hands forwards (and backwards) and also moving the date hand (with the bottom left button). My problem is that they all move together so I can't change the synchronisation. Is there a way that I can advance the date hand without advancing the moon phase dial?

Looking forward to joining in this forum and learning more about some lovely watches!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to Watchuseek. Your watch should have quick setting mechanisms for the date and moonphase at 8:00 and the day-of-the-week and month at 10:00. The 10:00 pusher moves the day-of-the-week when lightly pushed and the month if pushed a little harder and further in. The same goes for the 8:00 pusher (lightly for the date, harder for the moonphase). You should always avoid advancing around the time of the changeover. 6:00 or 18:00 are generally good times for quick setting calendar features. If all still fails, some of the date (or moonphase) friction springs must be bust. See also:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Venus 200

Hartmut Richter

great reply from Hartmut.
    Just to emphasize do not try to set the quick setting mechanisms between 9.00 (21.00) and 3.00 (15.00) hours, I usually do about 4.30 hrs

Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thank you so much for the replies. I hadn't realised there was a 'soft push' and 'hard push' option. I will certainly try this and let you know how I get on.

Thread Information