Vintage Lip Himalaya

Thread: Vintage Lip Himalaya

Vintage Lip Himalaya

Hi,

I caught two more Lip recently. Both have a R23 movement. One is a Himalaya. The brand name is interesting. Was this watch made for mountaineers?

Cheers,

Zhang
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Vintage Lip Himalaya

Hi -

Seriously doubt it, as LIP didn't get into that the way Enicar did, supplying watches to various everest expeditions (Sherpa line). I imagine it's simply cashing in on the cachet that Enicar acquired by doing so.

Not that these couldn't be used, but they lack the kind of shielding and cold-weather preparation (oils, greases, etc) that Enicar used in the watches actually provided to the Everest expeditions they sponsored. Back in reality, the Sherpa line of Enicars was, internally, no different than other Enicar watches. They just sold for a whole lot more...

JohnF

PS: Very nice LIPs, decent condition as well. The R23 is a really nice movement from that time period...
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

sheffield-birthplace of the 'dreadnought'

john

am i correct in thinking that the first watch to ascend everest was a smiths- and it accompanied one edmond hillary??.
    from what i've read, rolex using their vast amounts of cash, conned the world into thinking that it was the rolex explorer model that went up everest with hillary:oops:

of course, i may be wrong

regards, john

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

If I recall correctly, you are correct. Smith's in the possession of Edmund Hillary, gentleman's purchase in London (I say, old chap, I need a decent watch to do some climbing with...).

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    john

am i correct in thinking that the first watch to ascend everest was a smiths- and it accompanied one edmond hillary??.
    from what i've read, rolex using their vast amounts of cash, conned the world into thinking that it was the rolex explorer model that went up everest with hillary:oops:

of course, i may be wrong

regards, john
    The story is kind of complex and the truth may never be known for sure.

Smiths was the official expedition watch supplier, and a Smiths Deluxe was certainly worn by Hillary. This was a high grade watch produced by Smiths English factory (not to be confused with the mass-market offerings from their Welsh joint-venture). The Smiths Everest was the spin-off model, advertised with an endorsement from Edmund Hillary.

However...

Tensing Norgay wore his own Rolex bubbleback acquired a few years earlier when tooling up for the US attempt to conquer Everest. (This model was not known as 'Explorer' at that time)

and...

Tensing and Hillary never revealed which man was first to the top

So what we are left with is a now-extinct watch manufacturer which only ever had a relatively modest advertising budget versus one of the world's best-known and wealthiest manufacturers with an advertising budget to match. And when it comes to consumer items like watches, the real stuff of legends is..

... advertising

Hi Soviet ,

Interesting this ; I also own a Lip Himalaya but mine lloks a bit different then yours . It belonged to my father who died 20 years ago . I believe he bougth the watch in the early 1960's but I'm not sure about that . It is a bit a mystery where and why he bougth the watch . I had it cleaned up a few years ago and the watch maker told me that indeed the watch was issued because of the support LIP gave to an expedition to the Himalaya. The watch is mechanically perfect ; it runs on time . The dial and the hands are a bit touched by the time but I thinh that's the charm of a watch that old. If you are interested Ican send you a photgraph but it's not for sale .
    I'm very curious if you have received any reactions on your post besides the one I can see.

regards, Ad

We always like to see pics of interesting vintage watches! Don't forget pics of the movement!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    Hi,

I caught two more Lip recently. Both have a R23 movement. One is a Himalaya. The brand name is interesting. Was this watch made for mountaineers?

Cheers,

Zhang
    Nice one soviet, one "real" LIP (ante 1974)

To answer your question, YES, it seems to have been created in 1954 after a discussion between Fred LIP and one his friend, Lionel Terray, a mountain guide.

The watch was sold until 1973 and there were different versions.
    My YouTube channel | My ImageShack gallery

MY COLLECTION :
    Swiss : FAVRE LEUBA | FORTIS | GIRARD-PERREGAUX | JAQUET+GIRARD | LONGINES | OMEGA | TISSOT | TITUS | ZENITH
    Japanese : CASIO | CITIZEN | ORIENT | SEIKO
    Russian : POLJOT | RAKETA | SLAVA | STURMANSKIE | VOSTOK | VOSTOK EUROPE | ZVEZDA
    French : AVYSTYLE | HERMA | LIP | YEMA | YONGER & BRESSON
    German : AEROMATIC | GLASHÜTTE | TAUCHMEISTER
    Chinese : ALPHA | ARMIDA | BEIJING | FINËAT | JARAGAR | KASSAW | OHSEN | PARNIS | SANGDO | SEKARO | SMAEL | STEWAL | WINNER

Thread Information