VINTAGE LONGINES CHRONOGRAPH...HELP IDENTIFYING
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tablaman

Thread: VINTAGE LONGINES CHRONOGRAPH...HELP IDENTIFYING

VINTAGE LONGINES CHRONOGRAPH...HELP IDENTIFYING

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I am a vintage fountain pen guy. I just picked up this Longines Chronograph. Watch keeps time but I don't know how to test the chrono functions.So not sure if they work. The crystal is badly scratched. Their is some paint loss to the bezel. Case back has had inscription removed. Movement is marked Longines Swiss-17 Jewels-Movement number 530 ?? Movement is spotless and purrs like a cat.
    I was thinking about getting it restored.Should I restore it or sell it as is.I just don't know if it's worth investing the money into getting it fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

Name:  longines1.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  294.3 KBName:  longines2.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  297.2 KB
    Grill G and bubba48 like this.

Re: VINTAGE LONGINES CHRONOGRAPH...HELP IDENTIFYING

If you replace the crystal, you will be amazed how great it looks. This is a nice watch worthy of some TLC.

If you decide to sell it - get the crystal replaced, or polished before you do.

Hi, Any help identifying the watch and a potential value? I here chronographs can cost $500-$!000 to repair. If the watch is only a $500 watch doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In my 1968 Longines material catalogue it is listed as a Longines calibre 30CH, and appears to be a vey fine movement. They soon after started to use the Val 23 and 72, so I guess this isn't a common calibre.

Please look at the rules in the stickies, we're not permitted to discuss value.

If the movement is running well (and it does look very clean) you should be able to have it serviced for much less. I pay about US$250 for a chrono service - and that is an average price.
    Last edited by trim; April 19th, 2012 at 04:34.

Hi Trim, Thanks for the info. and sorry for not knowing the rules. I looked closer and it is marked 30CH. Also doing other research based on your info. discovered the Back Case number and movement numbers line up with the watch you are talking about. Thanks so much....I think I will get it serviced. Any tips on where to get a new crystal?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tablaman View Post
    I think I will get it serviced. Any tips on where to get a new crystal?
    Great!

Providing it isn't cracked, the watchmaker should be able to save that one if they cannot supply from inventory. It will most likely just be a very standard armored (maybe diver's, so a little thicker) perspex crystal.

BTW, those lugs look the same as the Nivada Chronomaster.

Thread Information