Just wanted to get your opinions on this vintage Longines Flaship:
    Name:  PVU250-799.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  23.3 KBName:  PVU250-799B.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  23.3 KBName:  PVU250-799C.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  23.1 KB

That’s about it for the pics. No pic of the movement but the company is offering a one year warranty from manufacturing defects. Price is 700$.

First questions is would you buy a vintage watch online or even in a store without seeing the movement?
    Second, I tried to look up this model of Longines but the Flagship models that I came across in my searching looked nothing like this. Anyone know about this particular style of Longines?
    Third, since I don’t know much about this style and haven’t seen the movement I have no idea if 700$ is a reasonable price, thoughts?
    Lastly, looks like the case back, crown, band, and buckle are not original but I am new to vintage watches and could be wrong, thoughts?

I appreciate your feedback.
    Last edited by kprzybyl; June 13th, 2012 at 22:18.

Re: Vintage Longines Flagship

Hi there,

First impressions... thought it looks like a great watch!

Not know much about Longines (own a couple), I tried looking for a similar one..... after quite some time, I found this:

Coin des Affaires - Longines Flagship diver

Has the same 285 cal movement as advertised in the one you are interested in (which I note was used in many handwind flagships I just saw).

Caseback looks ok (from the one obscure pic of the back and side) to me. Band and buckle are definite replacements... as could the crown be (not uncommon in older watches). I would also say the crystal has been replaced... again, not uncommon!

As for your first question, I have bought many watches without seeing the movement..... but not spent that amount!! Can you not ask the site for a movement pic?

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Hey thanks for that link. I noticed the watch on the link had a magnified date and it doesn't appear that the one I am looking at does. Thats a big issue with me and I am happy you sent that link so I could raise that question to the store, thanks again.

I did send the company an email asking them about a bagillion other questions. I live near to the store and also asked if I could stop in, but I am not sure if is an actual store or just an office type space. I think the watch looks amazing but I am always a little hesitant about buying vintage watches. I am always concerned about the movement and future service costs but this one just might be worth it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kprzybyl View Post
    Hey thanks for that link. I noticed the watch on the link had a magnified date and it doesn't appear that the one I am looking at does. Thats a big issue with me and I am happy you sent that link so I could raise that question to the store, thanks again.

I did send the company an email asking them about a bagillion other questions. I live near to the store and also asked if I could stop in, but I am not sure if is an actual store or just an office type space. I think the watch looks amazing but I am always a little hesitant about buying vintage watches. I am always concerned about the movement and future service costs but this one just might be worth it.
    As I say above 'I would also say the crystal has been replaced'...... as i would say the original one should have a magnifier! The one you pictured has likely been replaced due to damage. Its very hard to find original/replacement crystals with the magnifier. I personally dont see this is as a deal breaker! Straps, Crowns, Crystals.... all see large amounts of wear, hence they get replaced!

I suggest you write back to the store asking just 3 questions... not a billion!

1. Can I see a photo of the movement?

2. When was the watch last serviced?

3. The site says 'It is keeping good time and is running well'... what does this mean? What is the watch gaining/loosing over 24 hours?
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

this is a pure fantasy Longines

I am not totally sure what you mean by that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
    this is a pure fantasy Longines
    I actually just made an appointment to go to the store tomorrow so hopefully I can get some of my questions answered. Before I go I would like to know what an "acceptable" +/- sec/min per day would be on a vintage pice like this?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by kprzybyl View Post
    I would like to know what an "acceptable" +/- sec/min per day would be on a vintage pice like this?

Thanks again.
    "acceptable" for me is no more than +/- 60 seconds per day.

What I would prefer to see is +/- 20 to 30 seconds per day.

anything under 20 seconds per day would be great.....

That said.... I have watches that I wear that are +/- 2 mins a day.... but they did not cost $700.

Im sure others will have an opinion also!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

This is not a Longines I have seen before but that does not say much. The data given is insufficient to determine authenticity. Longines casebacks are fairly informative as are, of course, movements. But they are not pictured.

I will buy unseen movement vintage watches from trusted vendors. And I will occasionally buy them on eBay because they are something I really want and I know I can return them if they are not as claimed.

I always assume the watch will need a COA (clean oil adjust) unless I have grown to trust the vendor's representations. So the total cost to you should always have a COA thrown in... For those of us that buy interesting vintage that are brands not currently being actively marketed (or who have fallen in stature) the COA cost is often more than the watch cost. I just got a beautiful NOS 50's Benrus automatic that will cost me more to service than to buy. Amazing bargain.

The Longines does not look like an amazing bargain like that... but with more info who knows? Maybe worth it...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Talking about Longines, I always my beloved Longines admiral "disco vaolante"..
    this is the images before sold to me..
    jamtanganautomatic.blogspot.com/2012/05/for-sale-longines-admiral-1970s-disco.html?m=0

Safety Cheers,
    Mas

I will try to give opinion about your Question. I think to buy a watch via Online, the most important is the store has a good realibility...which can be shown with the quality of the website .. You also can assess the watch to sell...... It's my experience.....

Safety Cheers,
    Mas

When a problem can't be solved, so time will solve it.. :)

Thread Information