Vintage Longines with no hallmark on main body of case
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mkws

Thread: Vintage Longines with no hallmark on main body of case

Vintage Longines with no hallmark on main body of case

Hello folks, I once again come back to this forum to get help from all the experienced collectors here.

I have just come across a nice vintage Longines that I am thinking of buying.
    Something struck me as odd though: the case itself seems not to have the customary Swiss gold Helvetia hallmark, only the caseback.

Here is the watch in question: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LONGINES-FLA...257367?hash=item41bf0e43d7:g:MVwAAOSwZ8ZW~Yj k

Does anyone else find it odd that there are no hallmarks on the main body of the case?

Re: Vintage Longines with no hallmark on main body of case

I have an 18K Fortis that has the mark on the inside caseback. Nothing odd to me, at least.
    The first one you show also has the poinon de matre, The hammer head with 121 in it. That is the mark of Guillod Gunther SA
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If there is a mark, it could be very small on the back of a lug. In this case, it looks like they did quite a lot of polishing, which could make the (hypothetical) mark even harder to see. The case seems legit to me. However, the hands seem quite short and the lume does not match on hands and dial.
    Last edited by badbackdan; March 12th, 2017 at 17:27.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

What worries me about the watch is not its case, this seems to be all good; I agree with Dan, that it's the lume and the polishing that's a reason for concern here. The price, for an overpolished watch with lume issues, is outrageous.

I wouldn't recommend that dealer, I've seen them sell redials and overpolished watches at idiotic prices before. One of these guys, who just can't help the urge to make too much use of a bloody Cape Cod cloth. His eBay store's logo photoshopped into a pic of a watch store, that's beyond crass.

The "buy the seller" rule disqualifies this one, methinks.
    Shum and Michael Maddan like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    What worries me about the watch is not its case, this seems to be all good; I agree with Dan, that it's the lume and the polishing that's a reason for concern here. The price, for an overpolished watch with lume issues, is outrageous.

I wouldn't recommend that dealer, I've seen them sell redials and overpolished watches at idiotic prices before. One of these guys, who just can't help the urge to make too much use of a bloody Cape Cod cloth. His eBay store's logo photoshopped into a pic of a watch store, that's beyond crass.

The "buy the seller" rule disqualifies this one, methinks.
    Yes, I agree that the dial and the price are wacky. But what about the fact that the main bodies of the cases on the three watches above seem to have no hallmarks? Shouldn't all the parts of the watch case be hallmarked for Switzerland?

Was just looking at my Fortis and it does have a mark between the lug at 6 o'clock and also one on the underside of the 11 o'clock lug. Small rectangle, even with a jewelers loop, I can't make out what's in them. Definitely something there though.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Thread Information