Vintage Luxor chronograph with Landeron 248. My first chrono and I could not be more pleased
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vintage Luxor chronograph with Landeron 248. My first chrono and I could not be more pleased

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Luxor chronograph with Landeron 248. My first chrono and I could not be more pleased

Hi all, I'm excited to be on a different part of WUS than the Russian subforum.

I recently snagged a deal with a fleabay best offer on a Landeron 248 based chronograph. The condition is amazing for the price I paid, but I honestly can't tell if it's a redial. It doesn't matter to me much, but I'm very curious as it would mean I either got a deal, or an amazing deal.

From what I've seen from limited google image searches, the dial looks correct, but in better shape than most.

Name:  IMG_20190615_172403.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  336.1 KBName:  IMG_20190615_161845.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  289.5 KB

Re: Vintage Luxor chronograph with Landeron 248. My first chrono and I could not be more pleased

According to Mikrolisk the name Luxor was registered by several registrants including Omega Watch Co. SA / Louis Brandt & Freres, Biel in 1893, also by Selza Watch Co. SA, Montres Luxor SA / J.H. Brunner, Zenith and in 1986 by Candino Watch Co. SA, Biel Switzerland. Is there a caliber marking or manufacturer id on the movement?
    Nobody knows Everything, but Everybody knows Something!

Re: Vintage Luxor chronograph with Landeron 248. My first chrono and I could not be more pleased

Quote Originally Posted by Old Navman View Post
    According to Mikrolisk the name Luxor was registered by several registrants including Omega Watch Co. SA / Louis Brandt & Freres, Biel in 1893, also by Selza Watch Co. SA, Montres Luxor SA / J.H. Brunner, Zenith and in 1986 by Candino Watch Co. SA, Biel Switzerland. Is there a caliber marking or manufacturer id on the movement?
    It appears to be an unsigned Landeron 148, common in entry-level chronographs of the era.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The caliber is marked 248 with the Landeron "L" logo under the balance.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Russian and Vintage keeps the wallet happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paumanok View Post
    The caliber is marked 248 with the Landeron "L" logo under the balance.

1950's or 60's? That would mean made under the Montres Luxor SA / J.H. Brunner banner.
    Nobody knows Everything, but Everybody knows Something!

1950's or 60's? That would mean made under the Montres Luxor SA / J.H. Brunner banner.
    I'm seeing pictures online that claim 60's, but the arrow markers scream 50s to me.

Are there any old watch catalog archives I could look in?

Hi Paumanok
    Welcome to the *other* vintage place on WUS
    Nice watch!
    The faceted arrow markers give it a ‘more sophisticated Strela’ look
    Enjoy your new watch!

I sort of did the same with one of my first chronos: got a Junkers J88 as I wasn’t confident I could spot a real Strela
    Last edited by OhDark30; 3 Weeks Ago at 13:44.
    Paumanok and SunnyOrange like this.
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

I was actually looking at a lot of Poljot 3133 chronos and Citizen 8110a chronos before stumbling on this one. I didn't want to spend more than 200 on something I wasn't sure I could service myself just yet.

I repair a lot of Vostok 2416 and 2409 movements, and give/sell to friends for what they deem a fair rate, so I can afford the tools.

I got to talking with my friend's mom who grew up in Ukraine and she told me how she used to sell the Poljot Sturmanskies to Italian tourists, as it was the "cool" thing to do. I guess similar to tourist watches in Switzerland.

I wasn't to concerned with an all original Strela 3133, I mostly wanted an intro chrono with the Sturmanskie inner rotating bezel, which some of the Citizens had as well.

I only found this Luxor because I was bidding on a Aureole L248 chrono that was sold as "parts" because it was missing the flyback spring and 1) I knew I could fix it in an instant, and 2) I have a hand wound Aureole from the 50's that belonged to my great grandfather, which got me into watches originally, and thought it'd be cool to have a second Aureole. This Luxor was a "similar auctions" and was a buy now or best offer deal, someone else was giving offers but I guess my lowball won out.
    OhDark30 likes this.

For some reason I can't edit my previous reply, but I wanted to say gorgeous watch, I love when crystals go nearly to the edge of the case, such a clean look.

OhDark30 likes this.

Thanks!
    The civvie J88 is almost *too* good looking
    It has a gilded movement as well

I did the internal bezel 3133 and 8110 thing too!

Mid 80s civvie Poljot 3133..

Mid 70s Citizen 67-9119

I love the clean looks of internal bezels, but because of the gearing they’re too slow to operate for me
    Shame, cos the 9119 was the most feature packed watch I’ve owned (and still svelte):
    Auto chrono flyback day date

Happy hunting!
    SunnyOrange likes this.
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information