Vintage luxor - does anyone know much about these?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Vintage luxor - does anyone know much about these?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage luxor - does anyone know much about these?

Hi guys,
    Saw this on ebay.. no make/model in the description but dial reads "luxor".

Listing states 59s but looks more 40s to me.

Any ideas?

Vintage Watch Calendar 15 Jewels Swiss Made LOT 23 | eBay

Pete

Re: Vintage luxor - does anyone know much about these?

Apologies... "50s" not 59s.. fat fingers.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

That's a beauty. The movement has a sign on it for Hans Gisiger, Selza S.A.
    The Luxor name belonged to the Selza Watch co. owned by Hans Gisiger, funnily enough. Registered in 1924.
    I would say late thirties to early forties.
    Last edited by bobbee; August 18th, 2014 at 22:07. Reason: corrections...
    HOROLOGIST007 and Emre like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks like a stand alone company,from those which boomed in '40s and sunk with quartz crisis. Luxor is listed by mikrolisk from 1940 and onwards: Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

These rotating disc triple date watches have generally whether a Venus 2xx or Fontainemelon (FHF) 175-3 movement.The watch you've linked to has the FHF caliber.It has an evenly aged dial,expected patina on chrome case with ss back,the calender is in English language,would make a good buy at the right price.
    bobbee likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

According to Mikrolisk, "Luxor" was a brand of Selza Watch Co. SA so it seems to be genuine. The movement is something from the FHF Cal. 70 family:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 70-2

According to Ranfft, none of the derivatives had a day-of-the-week feature (assuming that "MAR" is "Mardi", i.e. french for Tuesday, rather than "March") so I assume that the central date by pointer conversion and addition of day-of-the-week feature is by Selza.

Hartmut Richter

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Looks like a stand alone company,from those which boomed in '40s and sunk with quartz crisis. Luxor is listed by mikrolisk from 1940 and onwards: Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

These rotating disc triple date watches have generally whether a Venus 2xx or Fontainemelon (FHF) 175-3 movement.The watch you've linked to has the FHF caliber.It has an evenly aged dial,expected patina on chrome case with ss back,the calender is in English language,would make a good buy at the right price.
    The movement has the Hans Gisiger mark, as here: Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index
    So with the Luxor name also being registered to this name in 1924, I think this may be correct.

My reply is based on the dial mark/logo 'Luxor' register to Montres Luxor.There are like 8 'Luxor's registered one belonging even to Zenith.However I see the movement mark of Selza also...

Montres Luxor SA / J.H. Brunner Kleinuhren, Penduletten, Wecker; Le Locle, Schweiz; registriert am 10.12.1940

edit: I stand corrected,the logo on the dial of the OP has no extended arms of the letter ' X' in 'Luxor'.In this case along with the Selza mark on movement I agree with your comments.
    Last edited by Emre; August 18th, 2014 at 22:27.
    bobbee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    The movement has the Hans Gisiger mark, as here: Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index
    So with the Luxor name also being registered to this name in 1924, I think this may be correct.
    I must agree.
    Well found. (bow)
    A
    bobbee likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

This is what I found a few years back.

Luxor is listed as a company operating in the 50's here:

http://www.altivotimepieces.com/vintage/id90.html

This appears to show that Zenith took responsibility for the Luxor pension fund at some point:

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...3DN%26pwst%3D1

This shows that it was merged into Zenith in 1987 (I think)

Registre du commerce - République et canton de Neuchâtel (Edit: I can't find this now; but it was there in2008!)

Suivant procès-verbal authentique de son assemblée générale du 29 octobre 1987, la société a approuvé le contrat de fusion, passé le 29 octobre 1987 avec la société Montres Luxor S.A., au Locle (FOSC du 13.10.1981, No 237, p. 3205) aux termes duquel Zenith International S.A. reprend l'ensemble des actifs et passifs de la société Montres Luxor S.A.
    Last edited by Marrick; August 19th, 2014 at 00:07.
    bobbee likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    This is what I found a few years back.

Luxor is listed as a company operating in the 50's here:

http://www.altivotimepieces.com/vintage/id90.html

This appears to show that Zenith took responsibility for the Luxor pension fund at some point:

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...3DN%26pwst%3D1

This shows that it was merged into Zenith in 1987 (I think)

Registre du commerce - République et canton de Neuchâtel (Edit: I can't find this now; but it was there in2008!)

Suivant procès-verbal authentique de son assemblée générale du 29 octobre 1987, la société a approuvé le contrat de fusion, passé le 29 octobre 1987 avec la société Montres Luxor S.A., au Locle (FOSC du 13.10.1981, No 237, p. 3205) aux termes duquel Zenith International S.A. reprend l'ensemble des actifs et passifs de la société Montres Luxor S.A.

Great info, but I think the subject predates all of it.
    Regards, Bob.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast