Vintage manual Omega
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Vintage manual Omega

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage manual Omega

Hi everyone,

I inherited this vintage Omega recently, and was wondering whether anybody more knowledgable might be able to tell anything about it. The most similar watch I've seen is a Geneve. From the serial number it seems to be from about 1967. I brought it to my local Omega Boutique but their database didn't go far back enough to try to trace it at all. Recently had it serviced by a local shop because it went far too slow, and it seems to be fine now.

Link to album as the images are large.
    imgur.com/a/v7m64dd

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt and QuartzCrisis like this.

Re: Vintage manual Omega

Forgot in the main post, the movement serial number is 26102090. Thanks!

Very nice watch, and wise to get it serviced. It does look like a Geneve, but I don't know exactly how to cross reference that number (looks like 131/28016), with the more typical numbers in the Omega Vintage Database. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will explain.
    Molliedooker likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Very nice watch, and wise to get it serviced. It does look like a Geneve, but I don't know exactly how to cross reference that number (looks like 131/28016), with the more typical numbers in the Omega Vintage Database. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will explain.
    Thanks so much for the reply. I tried searching the reference number but couldn't find anything. Perhaps somebody else can shed more light!

This is a 9 carat gold case, so it wasn't made in Switzerland. And the hallmarks do not look like Swiss ones anyway.
    I know that 9 carat was used widely in GB and that there was a time when gold cases for Omega were made locally in GB and other countries like France, the US and even Brasil if I remember correctly. (for tax and other reasons)
    The quality of the pics unfortunately doesn't allow me to decipher the hallmarks. So I cannot confirm that this is a British case. But I have doubts.
    Maybe someone else with better eyes can help.
    And if you can decipher the makers mark (??) GWC or OWC or whatever, that'll probably help to find in what country the case was made.

As for the Geneve question. There are tons of Omegas without any "subbrand" like Omega, Seamaster or whatever. So why shouldn't this be one of those?

Many (perhaps most) of the GB-made 9ct cases were produced for Omega by Dennison, and clearly marked as such. This is not a Dennison case.

Quote Originally Posted by emka View Post
    This is a 9 carat gold case, so it wasn't made in Switzerland. And the hallmarks do not look like Swiss ones anyway.
    I know that 9 carat was used widely in GB and that there was a time when gold cases for Omega were made locally in GB and other countries like France, the US and even Brasil if I remember correctly. (for tax and other reasons)
    The quality of the pics unfortunately doesn't allow me to decipher the hallmarks. So I cannot confirm that this is a British case. But I have doubts.
    Maybe someone else with better eyes can help.
    And if you can decipher the makers mark (??) GWC or OWC or whatever, that'll probably help to find in what country the case was made.

As for the Geneve question. There are tons of Omegas without any "subbrand" like Omega, Seamaster or whatever. So why shouldn't this be one of those?
    Thanks for the info! I can't quite tell what it says, it could be CWC even. I'll perhaps try to get it opened up again to see if I can get a better look.
    Given that it's 9K 37.5% it would make sense that it's made in the UK. I'm almost certain it would have been bought in Britain too.

Yes, could make sense that it would not have a sub-brand.

The shop that I took it to for a service had a very similar one but without the date for around €850. Hate to be the person to ask, but does anybody perhaps have any idea of how much it could be worth?

If you use the Advanced eBay search feature to look for SOLD examples that are similar (e.g. 9ct, similar condition), I'm sure you will find a large number of sales that you can use to estimate the auction value. Asking price in a retail store is not the best indicator.

Looking at the omega vintage database and filtering by cal 613 there are some very similar looking geneves all right. But most with 132xxx or 136xxx reference numbers.

But because this is not a standard case (there is no traditional back, you access the movement from the front) I think that rules out it been a Geneve.

There is a cosmic that had the 613 in it. https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...ic-st-136-0017
    And a Deville. https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...omega-136-0028
    And a seamaster. https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...omega-136-0022

Would be interesting to see any markings on the back of the watch.

Don't quote me on this, but I think that these Omegas that were cased in Britain represent a bit of a separate category altogether, so one should not expect to make a one-to-one correspondence with a specific Omega reference number from the OVN. They are totally legit, but just a series of their own. I am more familiar with the Dennison examples, but perhaps this is similar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information