Vintage Mickey Mouse Wind Up won't keep time

Thread: Vintage Mickey Mouse Wind Up won't keep time

Vintage Mickey Mouse Wind Up won't keep time

I inherited a Mickey Mouse wind up watch that I'm guessing is from around the 50s-60s. The watch guy at our mall said it was really clean on the inside.

My problem is, this watch won't keep time. Gradually it just starts slowing down until it stops. I feel like I'm winding it too much. When I do wind it, I never feel any "tension" to signal me that it's wound enough. I don't want to overwind it.

Any ideas? Should I take it somewhere else to get serviced? Should I just wind it multiple times a day (if this is the case, I'll probably never wear it), should I wind it more in the morning?

I work 12 hour shifts. I have already worked 9 hours and I have wound this watch twice, not including the initial wind in the morning. Both times, it was losing time.

I really would like to wear this and I'll be bummed if I can't. My husband spent a lot of money replacing the band.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Vintage Mickey Mouse Wind Up won't keep time

Welcome to Watchuseek. It sounds like the mainspring is bust. Sometimes, these things break at a point where the watch won't run at all, in other cases, they break halfway down the line so you will get some action out of the watch but it won't run well. In addition, on a watch without automatic winding (such as yours), there should be a definite end point and you don't seem to have that.

The only way of rectifying such a situation is a mainspring replacement, I'm afraid. And in this case, it depends on whether the movement can be repaired at all. These watches used to be dollar watches (i.e. to be bought for one dollar in their day) with pin lever movements, robust but not all that accurate to start with. Such movements were sometimes welded together so they can't be dismantled any more. In which case, you would need an entire replacement movement. This particular model was aimed at children so that they would have an incentive to learn how to read the time. Fortunately, it makes it somewhat more collectible these days so it may be just about worth spending some cash on it.

Hartmut Richter

Re: Vintage Mickey Mouse Wind Up won't keep time

Thanks that's a bummer. Maybe I'll take it to the watch guy and see what he thinks as well.

Thread Information