Vintage military or Aviator for afforadble prices.
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Vintage military or Aviator for afforadble prices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage military or Aviator for afforadble prices.

A few of you might have seen my thread in the public forum where I'm asking for some assistance in finding a cool vintage-looking automatic watch. But just to keep the alternatives open, what are some good military or aviator watches that can be had for under $600 nowadays? Anything from the 1920's to the 1960's would be good, but WWII stuff is my first choice.

I would greatly appreciate any help here, I'm new to "serious collecting" so I have no clue where to start.
    Passion for old cars and watches

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Re: Vintage military or Aviator for afforadble prices.

Type A-11, ORD CORP or even A17-A for the US military.
    Maybe try looking on MWR for many different types of military issued watches.
    There are the WWW British issued just after WW", or the ATP during.

This site shows many of the world's milwatches: Vintage wristwatches | Vintage Chronograph | Military wristwatches
    busmatt likes this.

Are you aware that most "Military" watches from WWII were very (by modern standards) small? Even the more recent stuff (like the MIL-W-46374's of the 80's and 90's) were in the 39mm range. BTW, I'd consider the 46374's to be probably the best "value" for your money, if you're looking for a genuine mil-spec watch for daily use.

MIL-W-46374 MILITARY FIELD WATCHES
    busmatt, Wibbs and justaworm like this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I used to own a Bulova A-11. Are all of those type A-11 the same size?

Edit: 35mm to 40mm are the perfect size for my wrist, currently wearing a 35mm Lemania. Under 35mm does work, but anything under 30mm is a no-go.
    Last edited by Parptarf; August 24th, 2015 at 17:49.
    busmatt and Wibbs like this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

With military watches, you need to watch out! Real military watches are sought after which a) jacks up the prices for the real ones and b) creates an inudstry for turning non military watches of roughly the same age into "military style" watches and advertising them on eBay or the like without the necessary word "style" in the description! Before rushing in and buying a specimen, it is highly advisable to learn a lot first or get the opinion of some experts.

Hartmut Richter

as far as Aviator AND affordable price go one cannot go past Poljot Aviator. You can get either 24H or 12H dials.
    they are manual wind but very cooling looking and in decent enough size :)

try looking up vintage 60s/70s Seiko military watch. It may not have really been a military issue but the chance of it being larger and still very nice looking is good. And besides that-there is nothing weong with a 70s Seiko as its one of my all time favorite brands. I had a hankering for a plain military watch about 5yrs ago and found nothing the really struck me. I ended up buying a a more modern Seiko 7s26 with a black dial, plain white markers and a 24hr inner non-rotating bezel -the purpose which was to grow the size of the case to 44mm-but its stepped up and looks like it would rotate.

Other then that-for <$600 I can't think of many 'aviator' style military. Possibly the british CWC broad arrow watches (there are others by Smiths) but I'm not much of an expert in those.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

You can look for the German DH pieces, but they are a horrible minefield. Here's a good resource on them:
    DH / DU / D Watches
    The trouble with them is, that the majority of them are being sold from the Ukraine, which most unfortunately is known for fakes and frankens.
    There are original (non-frankenized) pieces coming from there, but watch out for redials and re-lumed ones.
    The DH fit in the "$300 and more" range, which is still better than the British WWW ones- where $800-$900 seems to be the absolute minimum. But here, the combination of brand and rarity applies. Cyma or Buren don't go for that much, but an Omega, despite being apparently one of the most common WWWs, sells for more- sometimes even more than the more sought-after Eterna. Looked at these on eBay, and the prices are only getting more and more horrible. So, the range for these is between $900 and the price of an average car (and of the Grana...). And truth be told, if I had the choice between the two, I'd go buy a new car.
    The price frenzy has already influenced the military watches made much later- anything with a broad arrow logo on it sells at truly disgusting prices. No, seriously- even a military Smiths from the 1950s/1960s gets close to the WWW level. Ridiculous.
    I guess that a DH will be a good thing to look for then- they've got the looks... and a shock device, which no WWW or ATP has. But before you decide to buy anything, you might want post the link to the listing here- so that you can get some more info before spending a bloody lot of money.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Those German DH pieces would actually be the kind I'm looking at. Love how those looks.

Edit: Also, Vietnam-era military watches looks pretty good. Found this on Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viet-nam-war...item4882cbc1df
    Last edited by Parptarf; August 26th, 2015 at 12:44.

Op said he's mainly interested in an automatic which would eliminate most ww2 era watches.
    DaBaeker likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information