Vintage Military Watch
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Vintage Military Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Military Watch

Hey All,

So I'm an Amateur in regards to watch knowledge and knowing when something is a fake/good deal/ or anything. But i love the way watches look, and I love the mechanics. I'm a sucker for vintage military watch, and I've attached a link to a watch I'm considering, I would love to hear feedback from people.

Just to give you some of my interests:
    Vtg Omega 30T2 SCPC WW2 Military Watch 1935 Read Description | eBay

I like nato straps as well. And I'm a pretty big guy 6'3/215, so a 33 mm watch might look small. If anyone has any recommendations, or potential watches they want to sell, or anything. I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Re: Vintage Military Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Ozair.rahman View Post
    Hey All,

So I'm an Amateur in regards to watch knowledge and knowing when something is a fake/good deal/ or anything. But i love the way watches look, and I love the mechanics. I'm a sucker for vintage military watch, and I've attached a link to a watch I'm considering, I would love to hear feedback from people.

Just to give you some of my interests:
    Vtg Omega 30T2 SCPC WW2 Military Watch 1935 Read Description | eBay

I like nato straps as well. And I'm a pretty big guy 6'3/215, so a 33 mm watch might look small. If anyone has any recommendations, or potential watches they want to sell, or anything. I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
    The watch in the link is not a military watch. A military watch would mean watches that have been issued by the military and would thus have markings to prove it. Also i think that omega is not fully original i believe.

Bigger sized vintage military pieces or just vintage military pieces are going to set you back a lot of money usually and if you want to go for the look of it only, it would be a wiser move to buy modern re issues etc.
    Also, there are so many military fakes out there that it would an unadvisable buy for new enthusiasts.

Speaking of larger vintage military pieces, the watches that come to my mind are:
    -Longines pilot watch made for Czech airforce
    -WW2 german flieger watch (saw one in antiquorum, those are like 55mm)
    -Heuer autavia IDF, Eterna kontiki IDF
    -Blancpain Fifty Fathoms
    Wibbs likes this.

Sadly, the watch in the link is a franken. The dial and movement are probably OK, but they do not date to 1935, since the 30T1- the predecessor of the 30T2- was only introduced in 1939! The phrase "original case" couldn't be any more distant from the truth. EVERY Omega case from that period was signed inside. There should be an Omega stamp in there, inscription indicating the case material (stainless or "staybrite" steel), and for watches made until the mid 1940s- a serial number. From the mid 1940s on, the case serial was replaced with the reference number system. NONE of these things is there. Conclusion? A generic case. The watch is also NOT military- the only military Omega without lumed hands, used in the WW2 period, was the one issued to the RAF (6B/159) and the Fleet Air Arm (HS8). The HS8 and the 6B/159 are only slightly different- had spring bars and fixed lugs respectively. But more importantly, a military watch would have been marked as such. Watches purchased by the military almost always had proper stamps, consisting of a property mark and item number in the military records. Or even more than that, like on American military watches by Bulova and Hamilton.

If you are concerned about a vintage watch, military or military-style, looking too small- you can always get a leather strap with a wrist guard. David Boettcher and Chris Balm make really good ones, so this might be the solution. The wrist guard makes the watch appear slightly larger than it really is... And it looks kind of cool.

Recommendations? Can try Bulova. The A11, if you want a WW2 watch, and the A17A, if you want something from the Vietnam War era.

British WWW specification watches are often faked and horribly expensive, and the German D/DH, although priced lower than the WWWs, are faked notoriously and in large quantities.
    Last edited by mkws; February 29th, 2016 at 03:56.
    busmatt, Wibbs and JOSE G like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yep, I agree with what has been posted. Anyway WWII didn't start until 1939
    Last edited by tinknocker; February 29th, 2016 at 05:13.
    busmatt likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Hi Ozair,

Welcome. Don't be too disappointed as there are millions of watches out there. Keep looking and posting here and with the good advice you get before too long you'll be happily wearing a vintage military watch.

Regards,

Thank you all for the replies.

It was some awesome advice. So this is a tough one, my budget is 500. If you had a budget of 500, and watch a vintage military/pilot watch. What would you choose?

In this range, you can find the A17A and some of the DH, but with all the fake DHs out there, and with how little does it take to fake a DH convincingly, I'd say that the Bulova A17A and its other versions (the A17A was a navigators' watch, the ones issued to other branches of the military had a different specification name and number) is a much safer bet.
    busmatt, 1955mercury and JOSE G like this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I don't think that it's a genuine Breitling. Let's hope that Watchfred has a look at this thread, he'll be able to tell you for sure.

To me, the Breitling stamp on the movement, as well as the case back inscriptions look shoddy. Breitling used Venus movements alright, but because of that any Venus-based chrono can be turned into a Breitling by a skilled faker.
    The watch is being sold from South America, a region notorious for redialing and faking watches by brands like Girard-Perregaux, Ulysse Nardin and Breitling. That's already a red flag to me.
    busmatt likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Quote Originally Posted by Ozair.rahman View Post
    Well it's not a military watch and I agree with mkws that it is not original. The hands all seem to be a mismatch with one another and the Breitling word signed on the movement looks fishy.
    With that said, why not look for other brands apart from well known brands like Omega and Breitling...? As you have guessed by now it's a minefield especially on eBay so personally if I were to buy any vintage pieces from these 2 brands, it would be from a reputable dealer or a collector. Sure you pay a slight premium but beats buying Frankens on the bay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information