Vintage Minute Repeater Pocket Watch Help Needed? - Page 4
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Vintage Minute Repeater Pocket Watch Help Needed?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Vintage Minute Repeater Pocket Watch Help Needed…

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    John
    If you want, I can give you a master watchmaker that can do as you want
    Jim Michaels was the director of the NAWCC School of Horology
    He is a MASTER watchmaker
    He was empowered by the Smithsonian to open George Washington watch.
    This is on CD, as he opened up, stripped the watch/and rebuilt it
    He works privately now.

A
    Hello Adam,

That sounds fantastic, I would appreciate his name.

Thanks!

John
    / Tudor: “The Usuals"...Sub, S-D, Daytona's, GMT-II, GMT-IIC, Tudor Sub, Mini-Sub, Ω: NASA Issue Speedy Pro, Cosmic ‘51 R.I., IWC: 3717, Dudley: Masonic Pocket Watch, ℘℘:5107G, 3448, : 31 Day, 47040, BP: Leman Moon Phase Calendar, Milus: TIRM600

"Americans are stupid to believe what they see and read in an IWC Brochure, the photos in the brochure are done to be the best-looking example of the product to make it more desirable, not what is actually available.” Benoit de Clerck, Ex-President, IWC N.A.

Having been a car collector my experience is cars can not be stored unused without deteriorating. You need to get them out every several months and stretch their legs... Every spring my mechanics would take a tour of collectors who didn't do that. And they would return shaking their heads with regret over how the cars were getting worse and worse...

Your mileage may vary... but not by much.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by John Vargas View Post
    Hello Adam,

Don't forget that I have the original shipping box, bill of sale as well as the correspondence between the two of them…LOL!

In the grand game of life, Wm. W. Dudley didn't fail, he achieved his dream, but in his lifetime, it didn't come out the way he would have wanted, but he didn't fail.

Failure is two things, one you never try and two, no one remembers you. Wm. W. Dudley succeeded at making his watches, although just for a brief time in his life. In death, he has transcended time as everyone who is a Mason and even those who are not want his watches.

Regards,

John

John
    Nicely worded.
    From what I understand - Dudley died a sad, dejected and completely broke man. Not understood or respected for his great craftsmanship.

I will PM you Jims E mail.

Best
    Adam
    John Vargas likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Having been a car collector my experience is cars can not be stored unused without deteriorating. You need to get them out every several months and stretch their legs... Every spring my mechanics would take a tour of collectors who didn't do that. And they would return shaking their heads with regret over how the cars were getting worse and worse...

Your mileage may vary... but not by much.
    Just took my L6 in for service and spoke to one of the owners of the shop. The recommendation on storage for cars was put 500 miles a year on a car spaced over every 3-4 months. Saves significantly on subsequent restorative service according to him. (They maintain several $1,000,000 plus collections.)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Just took my L6 in for service and spoke to one of the owners of the shop. The recommendation on storage for cars was put 500 miles a year on a car spaced over every 3-4 months. Saves significantly on subsequent restorative service according to him. (They maintain several $1,000,000 plus collections.)
    Hello Eeeb,

I appreciate your advice and concern as well as you gathering the information for me, it is greatly appreciated, therfore thank you!

I maintain the car to the standards of the National Corvette Museum, which does not drive any of their cars. Sorry, that I didn’t clarify that I just didn’tpark it in my garage and leave it. She is well maintained and since she has very low miles and is unrestored, I plan to keep her that way.

Now, when my Rolls-Royce Phantom II Boatail Speedster iscomplete (joint collaboration with Gary Wales), I plan to drive her everychance I get…LOL!

Regards,

John
    Last edited by John Vargas; June 26th, 2013 at 15:59.
    / Tudor: “The Usuals"...Sub, S-D, Daytona's, GMT-II, GMT-IIC, Tudor Sub, Mini-Sub, Ω: NASA Issue Speedy Pro, Cosmic ‘51 R.I., IWC: 3717, Dudley: Masonic Pocket Watch, ℘℘:5107G, 3448, : 31 Day, 47040, BP: Leman Moon Phase Calendar, Milus: TIRM600

"Americans are stupid to believe what they see and read in an IWC Brochure, the photos in the brochure are done to be the best-looking example of the product to make it more desirable, not what is actually available.” Benoit de Clerck, Ex-President, IWC N.A.

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    John
    Nicely worded.
    From what I understand - Dudley died a sad, dejected and completely broke man. Not understood or respected for his great craftsmanship.

I will PM you Jims E mail.

Best
    Adam
    Hello Adam,

Thank you and thank for you for the PM.

I would agree that Bro. Wm. W. Dudley died sad, dejected, unappreciated, misunderstood and a spirituality broken man. He lost everything when his company went bankrupt. To make matters worse, he got a job back at Hamilton where he was once a chief of design, he was rehired as a mechanic (lowest on one the proverbial totem pole); fortunately, he rose to plant supervisor, so financially he was ok, especially since I was the "depression."

Like almost all true artists (and visionaries), they are never appreciated until long after their death and often ridiculed. The irony of being a master of what you have accomplished in your lifetime and never knowing that within 100 years, you will the most famous person in your craft.

Regards,

John
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

Now, when my Rolls-Royce Phantom II Boatail Speedster iscomplete (joint collaboration with Gary Wales), I plan to drive her everychance I get…LOL!

Regards,

John

can have some news of the coachbuilder?

you do not believe me, few years ago I have restored a rolls royce 20/25 hp sedan with an amazing black and bright yellow from south africa what a wonderful car

Quote Originally Posted by eri231 View Post
    can have some news of the coachbuilder?

you do not believe me, few years ago I have restored a rolls royce 20/25 hp sedan with an amazing black and bright yellow from south africa what a wonderful car
    Hello Eri231,

Sounds like you restored a wonderful car, nice color combination.

The coachbuilder is Gary Wales. www.ebentley.com

Regards,

John

Hello Adam,

Thank you and thank for you for the PM.

I would agree that Bro. Wm. W. Dudley died sad, dejected, unappreciated, misunderstood and a spirituality broken man. He lost everything when his company went bankrupt. To make matters worse, he got a job back at Hamilton where he was once a chief of design, he was rehired as a mechanic (lowest on one the proverbial totem pole); fortunately, he rose to plant supervisor, so financially he was ok, especially since I was the "depression."

Like almost all true artists (and visionaries), they are never appreciated until long after their death and often ridiculed. The irony of being a master of what you have accomplished in your lifetime and never knowing that within 100 years, you will the most famous person in your craft.

Regards,

John
    That is exactly what I was told about Dudley
    What you mean "you were the depression"
    i agree 100% your sentiments.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

If from le Locle, why has it got "Vallee de Joux" on the cuvette?
    - the number is very blurred but I think it is 15635.
    I don't have that particular number but I have a VERY long discontinuous run of 15+++ Audemars movement numbers mostly dating from the 1860s - 70s when they were still making most of their stuff "en blanc".
    Paul
    Audemars | Louis Audemars & Cie, Master Watchmakers, 1811 – 1885

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information