Vintage Minute Repeater Pocket Watch Help Needed? - Page 5
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Vintage Minute Repeater Pocket Watch Help Needed?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Vintage Minute Repeater Pocket Watch Help Needed…

Quote Originally Posted by Audemars View Post
    If from le Locle, why has it got "Vallee de Joux" on the cuvette?
    - the number is very blurred but I think it is 15635.
    I don't have that particular number but I have a VERY long discontinuous run of 15+++ Audemars movement numbers mostly dating from the 1860s - 70s when they were still making most of their stuff "en blanc".
    Paul
    Audemars | Louis Audemars & Cie, Master Watchmakers, 1811 – 1885
    Hello Paul,

I sincerely appreciate the information, thank you! The serial number on the watch is 15635.

Regards,

John

/ Tudor: “The Usuals"...Sub, S-D, Daytona's, GMT-II, GMT-IIC, Tudor Sub, Mini-Sub, Ω: NASA Issue Speedy Pro, Cosmic ‘51 R.I., IWC: 3717, Dudley: Masonic Pocket Watch, ℘℘:5107G, 3448, : 31 Day, 47040, BP: Leman Moon Phase Calendar, Milus: TIRM600

"Americans are stupid to believe what they see and read in an IWC Brochure, the photos in the brochure are done to be the best-looking example of the product to make it more desirable, not what is actually available.” Benoit de Clerck, Ex-President, IWC N.A.

I don't have that particular number but I have a VERY long discontinuous run of 15+++ Audemars movement numbers mostly dating from the 1860s - 70s when they were still making most of their stuff "en blanc".
    Paul
    I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point that out !! Nice catch Paul .

Quote Originally Posted by jesse1 View Post
    I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point that out !! Nice catch Paul .
    Well they did not have GPS in those days - (joke)
    That said, I am very sure that the watch is 100% correct
    Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Paul
    The watch also has the name George Reymonde on the inner cuvette and it's safe to assume
    that he is based in Vallee de Joux but it's very doubtful that he made this movement or case or dial.
    He could have bought them in from LeLocle down the road and finished them in his shop in the Valle de Joux.

The case, movement, bow design popularised by Jurgenesen, all look like Locle work s'all.

If the watch was made by Audemars then I'd think it would be later than 1860-70 which your
    serial numbers suggests.

It may well be by Audemars, I can find none like it but that means nothing.

It would be fantastic if whoever services this watch (assuming you get it serviced) does a photo or video log of the process. I just picked up DeCarle's 'Complicated Watches', and although I've worked my way through an automatic or two on the bench, even with DeCarle's descriptions the workings of the repeater are a mystery to me.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Well they did not have GPS in those days - (joke)
    That said, I am very sure that the watch is 100% correct
    Regards
    adam
    Hello Adam,

According to the watchmaker who checked it out prior to the auction, it is 100% original.

Regards,

John
    / Tudor: “The Usuals"...Sub, S-D, Daytona's, GMT-II, GMT-IIC, Tudor Sub, Mini-Sub, Ω: NASA Issue Speedy Pro, Cosmic ‘51 R.I., IWC: 3717, Dudley: Masonic Pocket Watch, ℘℘:5107G, 3448, : 31 Day, 47040, BP: Leman Moon Phase Calendar, Milus: TIRM600

"Americans are stupid to believe what they see and read in an IWC Brochure, the photos in the brochure are done to be the best-looking example of the product to make it more desirable, not what is actually available.” Benoit de Clerck, Ex-President, IWC N.A.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    The watch also has the name George Reymonde on the inner cuvette and it's safe to assume
    that he is based in Vallee de Joux but it's very doubtful that he made this movement or case or dial.
    He could have bought them in from LeLocle down the road and finished them in his shop in the Valle de Joux.

The case, movement, bow design popularised by Jurgenesen, all look like Locle work s'all.

If the watch was made by Audemars then I'd think it would be later than 1860-70 which your
    serial numbers suggests.

It may well be by Audemars, I can find none like it but that means nothing.
    Hello Radger,

Thanks for the insight!

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    It would be fantastic if whoever services this watch (assuming you get it serviced) does a photo or video log of the process. I just picked up DeCarle's 'Complicated Watches', and although I've worked my way through an automatic or two on the bench, even with DeCarle's descriptions the workings of the repeater are a mystery to me.
    Hello Gene,

That is a fantastic idea. I have been toying with the idea of having it serviced. If it is serviced, I will make sure that a photo log and if he can do a video log of the service, will be done.

Like you, I am interested in seeing it apart then out back together piece by piece to understand the workings. Thank you for wonderful feedback.

Is this a good book "DeCarle's 'Complicated Watches'", worthy of adding to the library?

Regards,

John

Yes, 'Complicated Watches' is a good one for the library. You may never attempt to work on anything more complicated than an automatic, but if you love the intricacies and ingenuity of complicated watches, and want to know how they work, it's fantastic! Plus I got it for $10 from a clock shop 2 miles down the road!
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    Yes, 'Complicated Watches' is a good one for the library. You may never attempt to work on anything more complicated than an automatic, but if you love the intricacies and ingenuity of complicated watches, and want to know how they work, it's fantastic! Plus I got it for $10 from a clock shop 2 miles down the road!
    Hello Gene,

Thanks for the advice, I ordered if from Amazon "Complicated Watches and Their Repair (Hardcover)" for $16.78, and I look forward to reading it. You got an excellent deal for $10.00!

I don't ever plan to actually work on a real complicated watch…especially since even a vintage manual wind is a super complicated movement for me…LOL!

Regards,

John
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information