Vintage Minute Repeater Pocket Watch Help Needed? - Page 7
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Vintage Minute Repeater Pocket Watch Help Needed?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: Vintage Minute Repeater Pocket Watch Help Needed…

Hello Paul,

Again thank you for the valuable information, it is greatly appreciated.

I think it is wonderful that you are putting all of this information together.

I wish I had your knowledge on the Audemars information. I wish the watch could talk, as I know we would all love to know its history, who made it, whose the name on the watch and who it was made for.

Regards,

John
    Last edited by John Vargas; August 16th, 2013 at 18:31.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse1 View Post
    [QUOTEAt the great risk of seeming silly, I might be able to add a bit more to this thread
    ]
    I don't think your being silly at all good research takes time . The google " instant experts" jump to conclusions with often erroneous results . Is the "Hartmut Zantke’s book available in England ? I've been looking to replace my missing copy ?[/QUOTE]

Hey Jesse,

I know you probably checked but here are is the book you are looking for; I hope you can buy one.

BookFinder.com: Search Results (Matching Books)

viaLibri ~ Book Search Results

I agree with you all research take time, lots of it.

Regards,

John
    / Tudor: “The Usuals"...Sub, S-D, Daytona's, GMT-II, GMT-IIC, Tudor Sub, Mini-Sub, Ω: NASA Issue Speedy Pro, Cosmic ‘51 R.I., IWC: 3717, Dudley: Masonic Pocket Watch, ℘℘:5107G, 3448, : 31 Day, 47040, BP: Leman Moon Phase Calendar, Milus: TIRM600

"Americans are stupid to believe what they see and read in an IWC Brochure, the photos in the brochure are done to be the best-looking example of the product to make it more desirable, not what is actually available.” Benoit de Clerck, Ex-President, IWC N.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Audemars View Post
    Jesse,
    Zantke's book is available in various places - Amazon, EBay &c &c. The price varies enormously. A while ago it was very cheap as there were a lot of remaindered copies around. (It is already 10 years old, and a lot of stuff has surfaced since then).
    It seems to me that it is getting a bit more expensive now.
    Of course you can always go directly to Zantke's own web site.....

( - What I want to know is, how do you lose a book weighing 3.5Kg which probably required the postman to use a fork-lift to deliver it????)

(Mind you, at the risk of sounding too commercial and I sincerely hope I am not breaking the WUS rules, you could always buy mine as well...........!)

No, Emre, I am not, and never was, a watchmaker. The last watchmaker in the direct line from Louis-Benjamin (as far as I know) is my late father's last survivng first cousin, now an old man, living in Le Brassus. He worked his entire life for AP and was one of their star operatives.

My interest stems from the relatively recent discovery of an impressive amount of previously unknown archive material.
    I had a straight choice, to hand it to a museum somewhere, where it would only have been of use to people who already knew enough to ask for it, or to try to make it available to as wide an audience as possible.

Yes we have to charge for access to some elements but it isn't a living and we aren't expensive - well I don't think so (but I would say that wouldn't I?)

The book is something I had planned for some time for family consumption, as most of the (very small) English family don't know the story and for most of them Zantke's book is (a) too technical and (b) too heavy to actually sit down and read. I wanted something a non-horologist could read in bed without their eyes glazing over.

Best regards and thank you for the compliments
    Paul
    Audemars | Louis Audemars & Cie, Master Watchmakers, 1811 – 1885
    Paul,

What an amazing family history and connection! I hope I can see your finished endeavor, I know I would appreciate it. I am no watchmaker, but that has never stopped me from reading a good book about watchmaking!

Regards,

John
    / Tudor: “The Usuals"...Sub, S-D, Daytona's, GMT-II, GMT-IIC, Tudor Sub, Mini-Sub, Ω: NASA Issue Speedy Pro, Cosmic ‘51 R.I., IWC: 3717, Dudley: Masonic Pocket Watch, ℘℘:5107G, 3448, : 31 Day, 47040, BP: Leman Moon Phase Calendar, Milus: TIRM600

"Americans are stupid to believe what they see and read in an IWC Brochure, the photos in the brochure are done to be the best-looking example of the product to make it more desirable, not what is actually available.” Benoit de Clerck, Ex-President, IWC N.A.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Louis Benjamin Audemars was the Louis Audemars who was the apprentice and son in law of Phillipe Samuel Meylan, right? I am collecting Meylan dynasty watches, couldn't go yet that back to Piguet & Meylan timepieces though, still stacked at 20th century Meylans:) and those PMs are pretty expensive... can't afford them.

Woow, if that's the case the history associated with a member here, that's great. My average knowledge says, Meylan was working together with him but left his workshop and tools to Louis Audemars and moved to Geneve, established with Isaac Piguet the 'Maison de Piguet et Meylan' in 1811. The timepieces and automotons produced by them were signed ' PM '. After a fair an Australian entrepreneur bought most of their production but very unfortunately on the way to Australia the ship sank in Indian Ocean. Chinese Court was one of their customers from where these timepieces surface now mostly.
    What a loss of history, Emre!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread Information