WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Vintage Minute Repeater Pocket Watch Help Needed?

6K views 63 replies 10 participants last post by  John Vargas 
#1 · (Edited)
Vintage Minute Repeater Pocket Watch Help Needed…

Hello All,

I would greatly all appreciate help in the identification ofthis minute repeater any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know about the maker, whom is George Reymonde?

I acquired this watch from Doyle Auction in NYC, it was pickedup yesterday, and it is more gorgeous in person than in the photos.

Here is the link to the auction:

http://www.doylenewyork.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=13JL03++++95+&refno=++937122

I have embedded clickable thumbnails of separate large file photos of the PW that were taken at the auction house for me, as well as two photos that were taken this AM.

Thank you in advice for all your assistance.

Regards to all,

John

Point mouse cursor over photothumbnails and left click to enlarge photos to full size

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Vintage Minute Repeater Pocket Watch Help Needed…

Two OUTSTANDING Repeaters in two days - Wow!!!

I think this is Georges Reymonde - La chaux de Fonds
Between 1860 and 1879 this firm specialized in fine horology and jewels.
In 1865 the firm deposited two chronometers at the Neuchatel Observatory - both achieved certificates.

Thats all I have
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS - Kathleen Pritchard - Swiss timekeepers

Reactions: John Vargas
#8 · (Edited)

Two OUTSTANDING Repeaters in two days - Wow!!!

I think this is Georges Reymonde - La chaux de Fonds
Between 1860 and 1879 this firm specialized in fine horology and jewels.
In 1865 the firm deposited two chronometers at the Neuchatel Observatory - both achieved certificates.

Thats all I have
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS - Kathleen Pritchard - Swiss timekeepers
Hello HOROLOGIST007,

Thank you for the information, it is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

John

#3 ·

This watch is based on a fairly common repeater ebauch from the le locle region; you'll see similar examples associated with lecoultre, patek, longines, etc. But few have the level of quality that this one exhibits. Nearly every pivot I can see is jeweled, the escape wheel is capped, it has wolf-teeth winding gears, every metal pieces is polished to a smooth mirror finish, and that dial is simply stunning. I don't even what to know what you paid for it; that'll just depress me.

#9 ·

This watch is based on a fairly common repeater ebauch from the le locle region; you'll see similar examples associated with lecoultre, patek, longines, etc. But few have the level of quality that this one exhibits. Nearly every pivot I can see is jeweled, the escape wheel is capped, it has wolf-teeth winding gears, every metal pieces is polished to a smooth mirror finish, and that dial is simply stunning. I don't even what to know what you paid for it; that'll just depress me.
Hello AbslomRob,

Great information, thank you! That is what attracted me to the watch the momentthat is saw it was the finish. It is stunningin person, it the dial literally juts shines without the light hitting it. When the light hits it, the whole watch sparkleslike a diamond.

I total was a little over $8,000.00 with taxes, which is agreat price in my opinion for a watch of this caliber.

Regards,

John

#4 ·

Agreed its fantastic
$7500
Just to depress you - you deserve it LOL

#6 ·

Actually, that's nowhere near as depressing as I thought; a Patek of the same vintage would have cost more and probably not have been finished as nicely.
Thats true. But that is because Patek are buying EVERY piece for their own museum.

Next time I will lie and say $54,000 just to depress you LOL

#13 · (Edited)
#15 · (Edited)

I'm curious how you came to that conclusion, given the differences in the bridge designs and balance pinning?
Are you asking me? If so, it was my gut instinct… I always trust it…

#12 ·

Pleasure. It's a lovely piece.
You know to NEVER change hands while it's repeating.
I also recommend turn hands clockwise only.
Regards

#16 ·

Pleasure. It's a lovely piece.
You know to NEVER change hands while it's repeating.
I also recommend turn hands clockwise only.
Regards
Thank you kindly Sir! I appreciate the advice!

Regards,

John

#14 · (Edited)

To me one of the greatest this about this Minute Repeater is that it is has never been serviced! It still runs and keeps excellent time, it loses about a minute per day, however after 150 years that is phenomenal…no one can complain about that.

There are no scratches, dents, and the screws have no markings (the last person who tightened them was the original watchmaker himself), and there is no damage anywhere on the watch.

I thought about having the watch serviced, but then again, why fix something that is still working?

I have decided to have a custom made display case made for this watch and then set it inside and cover it and display it and wind it every couple of months.

#19 ·

I thought about having the watch serviced, but then again, why fix something that is still working?
Would you drive your car for 100,000 miles without changing the oil? The answer is no, because if you tried it, your car would stop working long before it got that far. Watches like this are accurate in part because of the incredible precision with which the master watchmakers finished things like the pivots of the balance wheel. That pivot is the width of a hair and was polished to be as smooth as humanly possible so that the balance would be subject to as little friction as could be obtained. A tiny drop of oil is placed in the jewel to help further reduce friction.

And here's where the problem comes from. Oils (especially 19th century oils) have a limited lifespan. Running your watch without replacing those oils is like running your car without replacing its oil. On one hand, watches aren't quite as "dirty" as a car engine. But on the other hand, you're dealing with a level of precision that exceeds anything you'll find in a car. And once the pivot gets a scratch or gouge on it, you can't really "fix" it easily.

It's your watch of course, so your call, but if you don't plan on having it serviced, then I'd recommend not winding it.

#18 ·

That is a watch of the very highest quality, incredible workmanship and highest level of finish.

I agree with Abslomrob, this movement looks like it was made in LeLocle, it will most likely be signed
by the movement maker somewhere, often on the underside of the barrel bridge.

Very nice indeed.

#20 ·

That is a watch of the very highest quality, incredible workmanship and highest level of finish.

I agree with Abslomrob, this movement looks like it was made in LeLocle, it will most likely be signed
by the movement maker somewhere, often on the underside of the barrel bridge.

Very nice indeed.
Thank you!

#21 ·

Would you drive your car for 100,000 miles without changing theoil?

- No, unless it was designed not to have an oil change for a100,000 miles.

I don't mind having it oiled. However, I don't know anyone that will justoil it without taking it apart. It hasnever been apart and that is part of the uniqueness of this particular watch. Most watches as you know that are this old havebeen disassembled…and most of the time, you see the watchmaker's slightestmistake. I don't want to risk a slightestmistake.

Since the back is open, I can see having it oiled. However, I don't want it disassembled as I don'twant a mistake on the dial or hands, the hands have diamonds on them and I don'tknow what it took the watchmaker to balance them out…however, until this daythey are still perfect.

Thus, the dilemma I am facing is everyone contacted so far wantsto do an overhaul… I don't know ofanyone who is very reputable and very capable of oiling it as is, and leavingthe rest alone…

#25 ·

Would you drive your car for 100,000 miles without changing theoil?

- No, unless it was designed not to have an oil change for a100,000 miles.
This wasn't. A classic (and probably apocryphal) conversation attributed to Breguet is that a king asked him to build him the perfect watch, and he agreed on the condition that he be supplied with the perfect oil, because otherwise it wouldn't matter how perfect the mechanism was.

I don't mind having it oiled. However, I don't know anyone that will justoil it without taking it apart.
That's becuase a) you have to remove the dried remnants of the previous oiling efforts, which you can't do without taking the watch apart and b) you'd can only see (and thus access) less the half of the parts the need to be oiled. In particular, the cap jewel on the balance can only be removed by removing the balance, and that's the most important piece that needs to be oiled. No one in their right mind is going to agree to do half the job badly.

It hasnever been apart and that is part of the uniqueness of this particular watch.
What leads you to believe that it's never been disasembled? The pictures aren't high-res, but some of the screws look like they've been turned...

I don't want it disassembled as I don'twant a mistake on the dial or hands, the hands have diamonds on them and I don'tknow what it took the watchmaker to balance them out…however, until this daythey are still perfect.
Your concern is certainly valid; even an expert can make mistakes, and finding someone with the requisite skills is going to be relatively expensive. But so is replacing the balance staff if you run it without service and the balance pivot gets ground off. Thus, my advices is that if you don't want to risk servicing it, then don't risk winding it.

#22 ·

John
I see you have a Dudley Masonic Pocket watch - that I believe ois pretty rare too.
Would you care to share it with us?

#23 · (Edited)

John
I see you have a Dudley Masonic Pocket watch - that I believe ois pretty rare too.
Would you care to share it with us?
Hello HOROLOGIST007,

My pleasure, I just happen to have it handy right next me on my desk…LOL!

Regards,

John

#24 ·

Thanks John
That is something else. Probably rarer than your repeater. It is a museum piece too.

NAWCC, has one on permanent display.

Thanks for sharing - you really have OUTSTANDING taste

Regards
adam

#26 · (Edited)

Thanks John
That is something else. Probably rarer than your repeater. It is a museum piece too.

NAWCC, has one on permanent display.

Thanks for sharing - you really have OUTSTANDING taste

Regards
adam
Hello Adam,

Thank you for the compliment, it is greatly appreciated and means a lot.

I took these photos of the Dudley just for you. I am the second owner of the watch, the first being a Bro. Mason, who purchased it from Wm. Dudley himself. Instead of coming with a Keystone Case, he special ordered the Masonic Cornerstone Case. I have everything that came with the watch as it was shipped to him. All of which I have stored in archival protection.

It too, has never had an overhaul; it is as it came from the Dudley Factory. I do not wind it.

Like you, I agree that it is rarer than the Minute Repeaters as amongst all those that have a Dudley Masonic PW, no one has the original bill of sale, correspondence and shipping box (that we know of). Therefore, it is a "complete" Dudley PW with everything as it was shipped from the factory. If it weren't as complete as it is, it wouldn't be as rare as the Minute Repeater.

I hope you enjoy the photos!

Regards,

John

Point mouse cursor over photothumbnails and left click to enlarge photos to full size

#27 · (Edited)

I wish Breguet were still around…I would hire him to overhaul it…LOL! I know this watch was intended to be serviced and oiled.

I can understand a watchmakers desire to do their best, but as you said we all know of experts who have made mistakes, I just don't want that mistake to be on this watch, especially since it has never been serviced prior.

I have yet to see the watch in person, it was inspected by a watchmaker who has verified that it has never been apart and was part of a longtime collector who passed away and all his watches ended up at auction, it is currently in the possession of a very dear friend who is enjoying it and he isn't a watch collector.

I have no problem paying the price for the best watchmaker to service it. Unfortunately, I really don't know who is the best anymore, the one person that I could trust 100% has retired. I know he would be willing to do the overhaul, but when he retired, he sold everything and now just fishes all day.

I will take your advice and not wind it, I am having a special handmade display case to showcase it and it will be like my 1967 YENKO Camaro. The '67 sYc was unrestored when I purchased it many years ago, nothing except the oil was changed on it (and that was only done a handful of times), I stopped driving it back in 2003. Now she will forever sit as a piece of automotive art. I keep her as best maintained as I possibly can, but I won't restore her as she has the original tires that she came with in 1967. The only thing not original from the factory when she was sold is the current oil that is in her and the original oil filter.

#29 · (Edited)

I wish Breguet were still around…I would hire him to overhaul it…
John
If you want, I can give you a master watchmaker that can do as you want
Jim Michaels was the director of the NAWCC School of Horology
He is a MASTER watchmaker
He was empowered by the Smithsonian to open George Washington watch.
This is on CD, as he opened up, stripped the watch/and rebuilt it
He works privately now.

A

#32 ·

Having been a car collector my experience is cars can not be stored unused without deteriorating. You need to get them out every several months and stretch their legs... Every spring my mechanics would take a tour of collectors who didn't do that. And they would return shaking their heads with regret over how the cars were getting worse and worse...

Your mileage may vary... but not by much.

#34 ·

Having been a car collector my experience is cars can not be stored unused without deteriorating. You need to get them out every several months and stretch their legs... Every spring my mechanics would take a tour of collectors who didn't do that. And they would return shaking their heads with regret over how the cars were getting worse and worse...

Your mileage may vary... but not by much.
Just took my L6 in for service and spoke to one of the owners of the shop. The recommendation on storage for cars was put 500 miles a year on a car spaced over every 3-4 months. Saves significantly on subsequent restorative service according to him. (They maintain several $1,000,000 plus collections.)

#40 ·

If from le Locle, why has it got "Vallee de Joux" on the cuvette?
- the number is very blurred but I think it is 15635.
I don't have that particular number but I have a VERY long discontinuous run of 15+++ Audemars movement numbers mostly dating from the 1860s - 70s when they were still making most of their stuff "en blanc".
Paul
Audemars | Louis Audemars & Cie, Master Watchmakers, 1811 - 1885

#41 ·

If from le Locle, why has it got "Vallee de Joux" on the cuvette?
- the number is very blurred but I think it is 15635.
I don't have that particular number but I have a VERY long discontinuous run of 15+++ Audemars movement numbers mostly dating from the 1860s - 70s when they were still making most of their stuff "en blanc".
Paul
Hello Paul,

I sincerely appreciate the information, thank you! The serial number on the watch is 15635.

Regards,

John

#45 ·

It would be fantastic if whoever services this watch (assuming you get it serviced) does a photo or video log of the process. I just picked up DeCarle's 'Complicated Watches', and although I've worked my way through an automatic or two on the bench, even with DeCarle's descriptions the workings of the repeater are a mystery to me.

#48 ·

It would be fantastic if whoever services this watch (assuming you get it serviced) does a photo or video log of the process. I just picked up DeCarle's 'Complicated Watches', and although I've worked my way through an automatic or two on the bench, even with DeCarle's descriptions the workings of the repeater are a mystery to me.
Hello Gene,

That is a fantastic idea. I have been toying with the idea of having it serviced. If it is serviced, I will make sure that a photo log and if he can do a video log of the service, will be done.

Like you, I am interested in seeing it apart then out back together piece by piece to understand the workings. Thank you for wonderful feedback.

Is this a good book "DeCarle's 'Complicated Watches'", worthy of adding to the library?

Regards,

John

#49 ·

Yes, 'Complicated Watches' is a good one for the library. You may never attempt to work on anything more complicated than an automatic, but if you love the intricacies and ingenuity of complicated watches, and want to know how they work, it's fantastic! Plus I got it for $10 from a clock shop 2 miles down the road!

#50 ·

Yes, 'Complicated Watches' is a good one for the library. You may never attempt to work on anything more complicated than an automatic, but if you love the intricacies and ingenuity of complicated watches, and want to know how they work, it's fantastic! Plus I got it for $10 from a clock shop 2 miles down the road!
Hello Gene,

Thanks for the advice, I ordered if from Amazon "Complicated Watches and Their Repair (Hardcover)" for $16.78, and I look forward to reading it. You got an excellent deal for $10.00!

I don't ever plan to actually work on a real complicated watch…especially since even a vintage manual wind is a super complicated movement for me…LOL!

Regards,

John

Reactions: HOROLOGIST007
#51 ·

At the great risk of seeming silly, I might be able to add a bit more to this thread

The engraving of the serial number on the case echoes that of several illustrations in Hartmut Zantke's book, see pp 233/290/364/379

No reliance can be placed on the apparent chronology of Ls Audemars serial numbers. Why and when they assigned certain numbers remains an abiding mystery to a lot of folks more qualified than me. (Personally I believe they used an early form of lottery machine).

As I say I am no kind of horologist, but the basic lay-out of the movement seems to me to echo the illustration on Zantke P227, which he dates to 1852. But here I am probably being really silly.

I have one Georges Reymond working for Ls. Audemars in the Vallée de Joux. The only reference to him is dated 1848 but that doesn't mean much as our records are not complete (see Workers & Operatives | Audemars ) and some of the names appear and disappear from year to year.

It is clear from more recently discovered books that they made anything for anybody, fusée, cylinder, anchor, key or stem - whatever. Often without even assigning serial numbers at all.
(Sometimes I wonder why they didn't go broke much earlier!)

I'm wondering if the "George Reymond" on this watch is an inscription rather than a maker's mark……?
Was he doing a bit of homework?

Paul

#53 · (Edited)

At the great risk of seeming silly, I might be able to add a bit more to this thread

The engraving of the serial number on the case echoes that of several illustrations in Hartmut Zantke's book, see pp 233/290/364/379

No reliance can be placed on the apparent chronology of Ls Audemars serial numbers. Why and when they assigned certain numbers remains an abiding mystery to a lot of folks more qualified than me. (Personally I believe they used an early form of lottery machine).

As I say I am no kind of horologist, but the basic lay-out of the movement seems to me to echo the illustration on Zantke P227, which he dates to 1852. But here I am probably being really silly.

I have one Georges Reymond working for Ls. Audemars in the Vallée de Joux. The only reference to him is dated 1848 but that doesn't mean much as our records are not complete (see Workers & Operatives | Audemars ) and some of the names appear and disappear from year to year.

It is clear from more recently discovered books that they made anything for anybody, fusée, cylinder, anchor, key or stem - whatever. Often without even assigning serial numbers at all.
(Sometimes I wonder why they didn't go broke much earlier!)

I'm wondering if the "George Reymond" on this watch is an inscription rather than a maker's mark……?
Was he doing a bit of homework?

Paul
Great website great post Paul Audemars!

Having such a surname and being related with a watchmaking dynasty sounds superb. After reading through your website I understand that you don't continue the watchmaking heritage, is there anybody interested after you? I recall a non very active member from LeCoultre . So Golay, Meylan and Reymond are expected. WUS is getting interesting

#52 ·

[QUOTEAt the great risk of seeming silly, I might be able to add a bit more to this thread
][/QUOTE]

I don't think your being silly at all good research takes time . The google " instant experts" jump to conclusions with often erroneous results . Is the "Hartmut Zantke's book available in England ? I've been looking to replace my missing copy ?

#62 ·

[QUOTEAt the great risk of seeming silly, I might be able to add a bit more to this thread
]
I don't think your being silly at all good research takes time . The google " instant experts" jump to conclusions with often erroneous results . Is the "Hartmut Zantke's book available in England ? I've been looking to replace my missing copy ?[/QUOTE]

Hey Jesse,

I know you probably checked but here are is the book you are looking for; I hope you can buy one.

BookFinder.com: Search Results (Matching Books)

viaLibri ~ Book Search Results

I agree with you all research take time, lots of it.

Regards,

John

#54 · (Edited)

Jesse,
Zantke's book is available in various places - Amazon, EBay &c &c. The price varies enormously. A while ago it was very cheap as there were a lot of remaindered copies around. (It is already 10 years old, and a lot of stuff has surfaced since then).
It seems to me that it is getting a bit more expensive now.
Of course you can always go directly to Zantke's own web site.....

( - What I want to know is, how do you lose a book weighing 3.5Kg which probably required the postman to use a fork-lift to deliver it????)

(Mind you, at the risk of sounding too commercial and I sincerely hope I am not breaking the WUS rules, you could always buy mine as well...........!)

No, Emre, I am not, and never was, a watchmaker. The last watchmaker in the direct line from Louis-Benjamin (as far as I know) is my late father's last survivng first cousin, now an old man, living in Le Brassus. He worked his entire life for AP and was one of their star operatives.

My interest stems from the relatively recent discovery of an impressive amount of previously unknown archive material.
I had a straight choice, to hand it to a museum somewhere, where it would only have been of use to people who already knew enough to ask for it, or to try to make it available to as wide an audience as possible.

Yes we have to charge for access to some elements but it isn't a living and we aren't expensive - well I don't think so (but I would say that wouldn't I?)

The book is something I had planned for some time for family consumption, as most of the (very small) English family don't know the story and for most of them Zantke's book is (a) too technical and (b) too heavy to actually sit down and read. I wanted something a non-horologist could read in bed without their eyes glazing over.

Best regards and thank you for the compliments
Paul

#59 · (Edited)

No, Emre, I am not, and never was, a watchmaker. The last watchmaker in the direct line from Louis-Benjamin (as far as I know) is my late father's last survivng first cousin, now an old man, living in Le Brassus. He worked his entire life for AP and was one of their star operatives.

Best regards and thank you for the compliments
Paul
Louis Benjamin Audemars was the Louis Audemars who was the apprentice and son in law of Phillipe Samuel Meylan, right? I am collecting Meylan dynasty watches, couldn't go yet that back to Piguet & Meylan timepieces though, still stacked at 20th century Meylans:) and those PMs are pretty expensive... can't afford them.

Woow, if that's the case the history associated with a member here, that's great. My average knowledge says, Meylan was working together with him but left his workshop and tools to Louis Audemars and moved to Geneve, established with Isaac Piguet the 'Maison de Piguet et Meylan' in 1811. The timepieces and automotons produced by them were signed ' PM '. After a fair an Australian entrepreneur bought most of their production but very unfortunately on the way to Australia the ship sank in Indian Ocean. Chinese Court was one of their customers from where these timepieces surface now mostly.

#55 ·

What I want to know is, how do you lose a book weighing 3.5Kg which probably required the postman to use a fork-lift to deliver it????)
Some friends are better at returning things than others .
I haven't checked ebay ,but Amazon has not had a new copy listed in a while.

#56 ·

Some friends are better at returning things than others .
I haven't checked ebay ,but Amazon has not had a new copy listed in a while.
Strange. Ebay UK has 10 copie
5 new 5 second hand but perfect
Price as low as £50
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/3000121919/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
First one is actually IN USA
£55.35[COLOR=#888888 !important]+ £2.80 UK delivery
[/COLOR]
Used - Very Good
Ships from Germany. Delivered in 10-12 business days. Money back guarantee!

rbmbooks
96% positive over the past 12 months. (55,506 total ratings)

In stock. Dispatched from United States. Learn more about international shipping.
Domestic delivery rates and return policy.

Regards

#58 ·

I may have to settle for used . I forget to check AmazonUK.
No problem
A

#60 ·

Yes that is pretty well accurate as far as is known.

The Chinese market was important for the Ls Audemars company as it was - it seems - the fashion there to wear two identical watches at the same time. They sold their wares through Keiser in Hong Kong and we have some records of those sales in the recently discovered archive material.

Paul

#61 · (Edited)

Hello Paul,

Again thank you for the valuable information, it is greatly appreciated.

I think it is wonderful that you are putting all of this information together.

I wish I had your knowledge on the Audemars information. I wish the watch could talk, as I know we would all love to know its history, who made it, whose the name on the watch and who it was made for.

Regards,

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.