Vintage Movado 1940's (Make/Model request?)
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Vintage Movado 1940's (Make/Model request?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Movado 1940's (Make/Model request?)

Hey everyone, was wondering if you could possibly help me out with the make and model of this vintage Movado.
    I know for a fact that it was purchased in 1942. It is a family heirloom and I am trying to have it restored to its former glory.
    Any recommendations as to a professional restorer as well? I am located in the Los Angeles area.

Thanks !
    Attached Images Attached Images

mmarc77 likes this.

Re: Vintage Movado 1940's (Make/Model request?)

Looking at the dial, I'd say that at some point someone has already (and most unfortunately) managed to have it "restored." Redial, and a rather bad one. Probably the someone has trusted the wrong craftsman to do the maintenance, or - even worse - had the manufacturer do that.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

That's a stunning Movado. It has an M90 movement inside, moreover that's a sweet Borgel stainess steel case (designed by Francois Borgel) and it still has its own original pushers and crown! It really is an awesome chronograph. As mkws said tho, it saldy looks to have a reprinted dial, which is bad thing of course. Being a family heirloom, get it serviced (won't be cheap tho) and enjoy it as it is. In the future you can have it professionaly reprinted or, if you're lucky enough, you might find an original used dial for it (VERY hard task).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ErreCi View Post
    That's a stunning Movado. It has an M90 movement inside, moreover that's a sweet Borgel stainess steel case (designed by Francois Borgel) and it still has its own original pushers and crown! It really is an awesome chronograph. As mkws said tho, it saldy looks to have a reprinted dial, which is bad thing of course. Being a family heirloom, get it serviced (won't be cheap tho) and enjoy it as it is. In the future you can have it professionaly reprinted or, if you're lucky enough, you might find an original used dial for it (VERY hard task).
    Taubert case, actually. After taking over Borgel's company, the Tauberts simply kept on using the FB logo.
    I agree, best leave the dial as it is. Just have the movement serviced, and the crystal replaced.
    Tony C. and Mirius like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Beautiful watch with a great case, pushers and chrono hand and it might be wise to make certain if you have a watchmaker do service to let them know not to polish the case or change the pushers.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Taubert case, actually. After taking over Borgel's company, the Tauberts simply kept on using the FB logo.
    I agree, best leave the dial as it is. Just have the movement serviced, and the crystal replaced.
    Ha! Thanks for the clarification, wasn't aware of that!

So I just took it to a very reputable watch repairer, and the watch has never been serviced since 1942! It needs significant work though to get it running and sourcing the parts is difficult. More over, the dial has NOT been touched up. Truly amazing. Oddly enough before I took it in I had worn it and it was still running. Not keeping great time at all, but running nonetheless.
    OhDark30 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaibox1 View Post
    So I just took it to a very reputable watch repairer, and the watch has never been serviced since 1942! It needs significant work though to get it running and sourcing the parts is difficult. More over, the dial has NOT been touched up. Truly amazing. Oddly enough before I took it in I had worn it and it was still running. Not keeping great time at all, but running nonetheless.
    Unfortunately, I'd say that the watchmaker hasn't looked closely enough at the dial if he thinks it is completely original, or perhaps he is concerned that you would not be willing to have the watch serviced if you thought the dial was repainted (frankly, I would think twice about investing a lot into this watch). The uneven printing of the word "MOVADO" is enough to know that the dial has been refinished, and as one looks more closely one notices more and more sloppiness. This should be apparent to you if you take the time to look carefully.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I'll side with your watchmaker that the dial is original, since he examined it and we are looking through a bad crystal. I don't think there is uneven printing of the word Movado, just a distortion from the crystal. I have seen similar ones online.

Here is a link to someone with a similar dial (He believes his dial is original):

https://www.watchprosite.com/horolog...14353.5489343/

The question now may be does your watch belong in a different case (with different pushers)! lol He says he case is 35.5mm. Is your case smaller? I don't like to jump to concusions... maybe your case is correct, maybe your hands are proper, maybe your pushers are right, maybe Movado made variations of the watch. Who knows?
    Last edited by RonD.; August 4th, 2018 at 18:54.

I don't think that the huge gap between the "A" and the "D" is caused by the crystal.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information