Vintage Movado as first/practically only watch?

Thread: Vintage Movado as first/practically only watch?

Vintage Movado as first/practically only watch?

Oh dear, bear with me as it's my Very First Post. I like watches, but had stopped wearing them a few years ago when the one I really liked fell off my wrist (jumped?) and I ran over it when I found out my sister was in a car accident. Dang sister was fine, watch was totaled. (ooh, first emoticon too, promise I'll not over-use). Never found one I liked as much and went with pretty traditional cheap watches, but started looking again recently.

I love old things and live in a 100+ y.o. house. I also love gold and recently declined the diamonds on my replica-vintage wedding band in favor of the much prettier 18K yellow gold. Given they'd be on the same hand and I'm a girl and this is important to me, I would love a gold-colored watch. I found a vintage Movado on a certain auction website and really really really like it, but it's awfully expensive and wondered if I could bother someone to give me some advice. Should I blow all my watch money on this one beauty? I know what the forum largely thinks of contemporary Movados, but there don't seem to be issues with their basic quality, especially vintage ones.

Do you all rely on vintage watches for your day-to-day lives? Am I nuts to go with this one in particular as well? I'll try to post the link to the aforementioned watch. Please don't buy it out from under me! (Unless you're my husband Steve, in which case, YAY!) Thanks, have loved lurking on the fora!
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    Erin

Re: Vintage Movado as first/practically only watch?

First off, welcome to WUS.

Second, in my humble opinion, do not buy that watch.
    Don't want to burst your bubble, but it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced.
    If it was solid 14K gold, no problems, but for 14k gold PLATED? I'd let that one go unsold.
    Not only that, but for that kind of money the watch should be fully serviced & restored.
    For example, here's a solid gold Movado that sold for less than the asking price of the one you posted (Vintage Movado 1940s Solid 14k Gold ~17 Jewel Mechanical Watch C 260M ~ Ex Cond! | eBay)

Third, sure there is absolutely no problem with wearing a vintage watch every day as long as it has been well serviced by a watch repair person.
    Of course, many of us here in the vintage forum have many vintage watches, so it's usually a fight for the wrist of WHICH vintage watch to wear! :)
    Vintage watches, especially the good brands, were built to last generations.

Curious as to what watch you really liked that got destroyed. Is there a reason you aren't trying to find a replacement for that one?
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

Erin if the MN in yor user name is for Minnesota I can help you find what you want. I know a good vintage store that prices his watches resonably. His cost for service is high,, but I know another shop that does services inexpensively. As JP has already advised you the Movado is way overpriced.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Even if it's not gold plated but gold filled? And I have to say I liked the gold bracelet too. Aww, I'll follow your advice and not buy at the current price, but possibly I should offer a low-ball (since it's a make an offer as well) and see if the seller bites? I guess I figured finding that old watch I used to have was a needle in a haystack as it was nothing fancy. Pretty sure it was a Citizen, got it in the late 80s at a one-off shop that sold a bit of everything and now is closed. Cream face, arabic numbers, black hands, GP case, brown leather strap.

Indeed, NSMike, the MN in my inscrutable name is Minnesota--am in Mpls. Would love more info from the local watch-enablers (you know who you are...) on local options for shopping. Having a reputable dealer and repair option would be incredibly helpful!

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at the watch and respond. I appreciate your advice very very much, and am pleased to learn I can pretty reasonably rely on a vintage for my everyday!

Erin

Welcome to the forum. Its a shame you didn't take your damaged watch to a watchguy to fix it up, they can normally fix watches cosmetically as well as the mechanical side. I seem to be wearing a vintage watch more then my omega smp which is at this moment in my watch winder. Good luck in your search and don't hesitate to ask more questions the people in here are great for info.

Thank you to JoeUK as well for the warm welcome! I assure you, the poor watch was unfixable. It actually had been driven over in the parking lot and was in crumpled pieces. I will admit I kept the pieces and will take another look when I track down where I kept the bits, but afraid not to fix it. Boo. Next time!

Oops thought you meant ran over it with your feet not a car lol

Quote Originally Posted by ErinMN View Post
    Even if it's not gold plated but gold filled? And I have to say I liked the gold bracelet too. Aww, I'll follow your advice and not buy at the current price, but possibly I should offer a low-ball (since it's a make an offer as well) and see if the seller bites? I guess I figured finding that old watch I used to have was a needle in a haystack as it was nothing fancy. Pretty sure it was a Citizen, got it in the late 80s at a one-off shop that sold a bit of everything and now is closed. Cream face, arabic numbers, black hands, GP case, brown leather strap.
    Here is a good quick comparison between solid gold, gold plated and gold filled:
    eBay Guides - Solid Gold, Gold Fill, and Gold Plating

But go ahead and lowball him if you like, there's no harm in that.
    And a bracelet can always be replaced, so find the watch you like and then put it on the bracelet you like. :)
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

Thread Information