Vintage Newbie, Please Help: Is this a Re-Dial?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OhDark30
  • 1 Post By system11

Thread: Vintage Newbie, Please Help: Is this a Re-Dial?

Vintage Newbie, Please Help: Is this a Re-Dial?

Hi there Fellas, I have been so paranoid with purchasing vintage watches that I have steered clear of them.

Unfortunately and fortunately at the same time, there are some of the coolest designs in the vintage category.
    I have just recently purchased a vintage poljot chronograph.
    I have closely inspected the dial on mine to alot of the legit ones out there and it almost adds up until I start looking at the digit 20 in the left subdial.

Now, the original version has thicker numerals on left subdial, so, is there a possibility that the digits in my left subdial thinned out from aging?

A snip of the original vintage version can be found on the last or third photo.

Members help and input will be much appreciated.

Regards

Joey
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm in a place where I don't know where I am! --Homer Simpson

Re: Vintage Newbie, Please Help: Is this a Re-Dial?

Aside from the slight bulge in the 2, your dial doesn’t seem any different/worse than the one you say is legit. That one has a break in the j in jewels, off center lume plots on 4, 7, and 8, and the subdials ticks aren’t centered. Makes me think it might be a quality control issue. How good were Poljot watches of this era?

Mike
    In dog beers I've only had one.

I would have to agree with Demo on this , it could be a different company/ dial manufacture to your watch. Have you checked movement numbers with case ref to see if the 2 belong together ?

This may answer your question about the dial as if its a earlier or later manufactured watch the above could very well be possible

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,

This is Poljot 3133, a Soviet improved version of the Valjoux 7734 movement for which they bought the rights and tools from the Swiss. Very solid and reliable, and parts are easy to find as they produced this caliber from the mid-70s to the early 2000s (at first for the military/space, and then as civilian versions). The 3133 is probably the best value mechanical chronograph available.

As for the dial, it is certainly original, to my knowlegde only the "Sturmanskie" and "Okean" versions may have fake dials, since they are originally military issued watches. Civilian versions such as the one you have are usually fitted with either of the 2 versions (Sturmanskie or Okean) when the dial is replaced. As mentioned above, quality control was not always optimal, so many different versions of the dials and sub-dials may exist. The movement, however, is excellent in all versions!

Quote Originally Posted by demo View Post
    Aside from the slight bulge in the 2, your dial doesn’t seem any different/worse than the one you say is legit. That one has a break in the j in jewels, off center lume plots on 4, 7, and 8, and the subdials ticks aren’t centered. Makes me think it might be a quality control issue. How good were Poljot watches of this era?

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    I would have to agree with Demo on this , it could be a different company/ dial manufacture to your watch. Have you checked movement numbers with case ref to see if the 2 belong together ?

This may answer your question about the dial as if its a earlier or later manufactured watch the above could very well be possible
    Quote Originally Posted by mathieub View Post
    Hi,

This is Poljot 3133, a Soviet improved version of the Valjoux 7734 movement for which they bought the rights and tools from the Swiss. Very solid and reliable, and parts are easy to find as they produced this caliber from the mid-70s to the early 2000s (at first for the military/space, and then as civilian versions). The 3133 is probably the best value mechanical chronograph available.

As for the dial, it is certainly original, to my knowlegde only the "Sturmanskie" and "Okean" versions may have fake dials, since they are originally military issued watches. Civilian versions such as the one you have are usually fitted with either of the 2 versions (Sturmanskie or Okean) when the dial is replaced. As mentioned above, quality control was not always optimal, so many different versions of the dials and sub-dials may exist. The movement, however, is excellent in all versions!
    Hi there Fellas. Thanks for the effort.
    I have researched this dial thoroughly and it matches with past models perfectly.
    However, I have 2 issues because this watch was manufactured in 1992 just before the collapse of the Soviet Union:

1. The dial is perfectly white for its age. Should it be this way?
    2. The numerals should be thicker. Is it possible for numerals to thin out over time without staining or washing off on the dial?

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

The spacing of the 9, 10 and 11 marks on the running seconds subdial is something I'd have to learn to put up with

Hi again!

In fact, I just don't see why anyone would bother doing a re-dial on a 3133 (except if it was a rare 70's military version), it would not be worth the effort. A brand new New-Old-Stock dial for a watch like this is in the $10-$20 range on ebay, just do a quick search for "3133 dial" on ebay and you will find dozens of them, in many variations. If a dial on such a watch was damaged, I beleive anyone would just buy a new one and throw away the damaged one.

Hi Joey

As others have said, Russian watches that are re-dialled are in an effort to pass them off as sought after/ desirable ones

In the case of Poljot 3133s that would be the OKEAH, the black dialled ones, and those with Air Force Shturmanskie wings

The one you show is a less common dial, but not one that I think people would fake

Yours may be whiter than the reference one because it is in better nick: perhaps kept in a drawer out of the light

The 3133 is a great robust movement, and production continued many years after Soviet times. It has also been used by Western makers (eg Junkers) in their watches

Enjoy your new watch!
    SunnyOrange likes this.
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

Probably worth mentioning this is a watch I bought from ebay, not realising Joey wanted it, so I offered to him at cost a while ago. I took the photo with the very white dial, it's a combination of camera flash and the dial genuinely being in good condition. Here's a natural light photo too that I just took (overcast, evening, slight angle). For the year it's very clean, still has that shine to the paint if you catch the light and the lume is exceptional for this dial type (they're small 'domes' and crumble).

Name:  3133_joey.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  1.16 MB
    OhDark30 likes this.

Thread Information