Vintage Omega, 60's?

Thread: Vintage Omega, 60's?

Vintage Omega, 60's?

I've fallen for a vintage Omega to wear for work, formal dress and all. I'd like your opinion on the watch and maybe an approximate value. Seeing as it is a Seamaster De Ville, I'm guessing it's from the 60's?

Also I'm wondering about the specks on the glass? Watch Can be seen on link below:

https://www.chrono24.dk/omega/seamas...arch/index.htm

Re: Vintage Omega, 60's?

Rather than specks on the glass, I'd suspect the marks are in fact on the dial, looking at the photographs. I suggest that you write to the dealer and confirm this or not. You should also ask to know what the calibre of movement is, to date it more accurately. Better still, the movement's serial number would give you even more precise knowledge of the manufacturing date. To paraphrase Roland Ranfft, you really shouldn't consider buying a used watch without seeing a good photograph of the movement to ensure that it appears to be in good order; there are plenty of rusty movements out there (I see he says the movement has 'been restored,' and so no reason for him not to be proud enough to share a pic.
    But to return to the dial, these are fairly easy dials to have refinished, although you may not like to meddle with it, a view many would share. That said, the style and look of the watch itself is very pleasing and I share your enthusiasm for it.
    Valuation is a dirty word on this forum, BTW, but I suggest you snoop around other vintage dealers to compare price levels for similar. My own experience of Chrono24 is that the items there are usually priced toward the higher end of the spectrum, although that's a general observation, and not meant to be specific to this listing.

Thanks a lot! I realized about the eval thing too late, and couldnt edit on this damned iPad. I will go see it in person, but those are great ideas to ask beforehand.

If you wouldnt mind elaborating, I'm not sure I understand the bit about meddling with the dial. What are the drawbacks to restoring it to it's original state, ignoring cost?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are thousands of those watches around and they are in the price range of 1000 dk up to 20 000 dk (gold, connie, pie pan.) Make sure you get one that suits you. Decide if you want manual or auto movement. Auto tend to be some version of the 5xx series (for example the 565 or 501) and manual is uses the 30 T2 (modified versions are for example 289 or 286.) All great movements, it just depends on if you like to wind it yourself or not.

4200 sounds a bit expensive to me, but not crazy money. Be aware of the small size (32-37 mm.)

Thanks. I sort of like automatics, though I am not religious in case a beautiful manual turns up. I am aware of the size, thanks for the warning, though. One of the reasons I am going vintage is the smaller size. I thought I wanted a nice, big 40+ one, right until I tried one on with my suit (work clothes). Even the 39's (in particular a wonderful Le Locle) felt a bit too big.

Thread Information