Vintage Omega
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Emre
  • 1 Post By Emre

Thread: Vintage Omega

Vintage Omega

I love the look of these vintage Omegas, however I'm a little suspicious about their relatively low price. Are these clever fakes or are they relatively common and therefore cheap(ish)?

Watch #1
    Watch #2

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am new to this (as is probably plainly obvious).

Re: Vintage Omega

Hi and welcome.

Well not fakes but what we call 'Franken' watches.

In these cases the person has taken an original pocket watch movement, made a new case and dial to his own design, and voila you have a 'Franken' timepiece.

Is it as bad as a 'fake'? Well its using a manufacturers original movement, but the rest is NOTHING like the original manufacturer produced

To me they are identical to a fake.
    To give this seller his due - he does say
    Case: New, nickel-plated, made for this mechanism Age: Vintage (1920-1970)
    Dial: New, metal, painted

Its hardly vintage he made it last week, and "rare" - absolutely, it is the ONLY one to exist (unless he makes a second) LOL
    Regards
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; May 28th, 2013 at 18:29.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

both watches are re-watches,famous Ukrainian franken wonders, meaning they are re-cased, dial re-painted and modified. Have nothing to do with the timepiece which left the Omega ateliers. The movements are probably original Omega pocket watch movements, but the rest is put together.I would say, stay away...

Edit: Upps Adam was quicker obviously
    Last edited by Emre; May 28th, 2013 at 18:31.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Keeping in mind that at the time these movements were made, they were commonly sold (to jewelers and jobbers) as just a movment (often with customized dials), and they were cased by the end-retailer. So to some degree, these "frankens" are somewhat true to the spirit of the original sales model. Only marginally though. This type of stuff is happening more and more with other brands too; there's a growing market in old American pocketwatch movements recased as wristwatches too, as it happens. And as long as you understand that, and aren't paying a premium for your own misunderstanding of what "vintage" actually means, then go to town.

In the case of these Omega's, they're probably legit Omega movements. There are others, however, that claim to be more famous (and desirable) brands (patek, vacheron, etc) that at least one member believes are nothing more then reworked chinese or russian movements. Understand what you're buying, and don't pay for hype and misinformation.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Keeping in mind that at the time these movements were made, they were commonly sold (to jewelers and jobbers) as just a movment (often with customized dials), and they were cased by the end-retailer. So to some degree, these "frankens" are somewhat true to the spirit of the original sales model. Only marginally though. This type of stuff is happening more and more with other brands too; there's a growing market in old American pocketwatch movements recased as wristwatches too, as it happens. And as long as you understand that, and aren't paying a premium for your own misunderstanding of what "vintage" actually means, then go to town.
    Correct me - the movements sold to jewelers/jobbers did they not come with a dial and hands to be 'cased' by the jobber?

Whatever - i think 'these' Frankens have nothing to do with the spirit of 'jobbers' in the 20s/30s?

Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Yep how to compare say ' Wadsworth ' casing job with these examples?

The only good thing about some of these sellers, at least they honestly state what it is, even though they use the term ' Marriage Watch ' and then defining it. The term ' Marriage Watch ' can be very misleading as it did for me 3 years ago. Without definition just ' Marriage Watch ' I thought its the wedding present timepieces given to the couple. I didn't make my homework with searching and asking as the OP did and got my lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Yep how to compare say ' Wadsworth ' casing job with these examples?

The only good thing about some of these sellers, at least they honestly state what it is, even though they use the term ' Marriage Watch ' and then defining it. The term ' Marriage Watch ' can be very misleading as it did for me 3 years ago. Without definition just ' Marriage Watch ' I thought its the wedding present timepieces given to the couple. I didn't make my homework with searching and asking as the OP did and got my lesson.
    LOL
    I personally have separate definition for 'marriage' watch to a 'franken'

A 'Franken' watch never existed by that OEM.
    To me its is like 'ordering a cat and getting a dog and a conversion kit'

A 'marriage' watch has parts from the same manufacturer put to-gether to look original. So the dial or case may have been replaced. It is not as bad (in my opinion) as a Franken - that said - As a purist, I do not concur to them either

and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Correct me - the movements sold to jewelers/jobbers did they not come with a dial and hands to be 'cased' by the jobber?

Whatever - i think 'these' Frankens have nothing to do with the spirit of 'jobbers' in the 20s/30s?
    A "typical" jobber watch would, yes, come with (potentially) a customized dial and whatever hands the jobber requested. However, it wasn't uncommon for the jewelers to also have after-market dials and hands available for customization. You saw this a lot when people brought in their old Hunter movements and cased them in new open face cases, but there were other after-market options; you could get a dial with your name spelled around the indicies, for example.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    A "typical" jobber watch would, yes, come with (potentially) a customized dial and whatever hands the jobber requested. However, it wasn't uncommon for the jewelers to also have after-market dials and hands available for customization. You saw this a lot when people brought in their old Hunter movements and cased them in new open face cases, but there were other after-market options; you could get a dial with your name spelled around the indicies, for example.
    Thanks , I actually never realized that.
    appreciate your information
    Regards

and
    Adam

Thread Information