Vintage Omega Constelation

Thread: Vintage Omega Constelation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Omega Constelation

Hello, I posted this over in the Omega subforum and was directed here so here goes. I have an Omega that belonged to my grandfather and I don't really know any details about it. I don't know if it is real or fake to begin with so I thought coming here would be the best bet. Here are two poor quality cell photos I just took of it. The back of the case is so worn that it is just smooth and shiny. I can barely make out the number 518 on the bracelet right near the back of the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A kind gentleman over in the other section informed me that it is a 168.029 with a 751 movement. It looks like it is the gold plated version and not the solid gold. If anyone has any more information for me that would be awesome!

Re: Vintage Omega Constelation

Dr. Ranfft identifies the 751 as a day/date chronometer movement made in the late 60's/early 70's. Based on the style, that looks correct.

The 518 on the bracelet is the bracelet identification number... used for ordering additional links which are no longer available since few stock 40 year old casing/bracelet parts. You can find parts to keep movements running but casing/bracelet parts usually require donor watches.

This watch is from the golden era of Swiss watches... Omega used Constellation casing similar to this for some of their early quartz watches - which then cost as much as or more than this watch did new. And they encased a number of tuning fork models which were quite similar.

The gold was often 40 microns thick... it is not common for it to brass (wear through). So a soft polish may restore a great deal of the watches original luster!

Your grandfather had good taste in watches!! I hope you preserve this heirloom...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

From the Omega database:

Constellation"C"
    Reference: CD 168.0029
    International collection: 1967
    MovementType: Automatic chronometer certified
    Caliber number: 751
    Created in 1967
    24 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    First day/date Omega caliber
    Functions: Day-date, Chronometer
    Case: Gold-cap on stainless steel
    Case back: Screw-in
    Dial: With hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold hands.
    Crystal: Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet: Leather
    Water resistance: 30 meters

Desmond has some articles on his blog regarding both the Constellation C and 751:
    Omega Constellation Collectors: The Constellation C-Shape Watch: Omega's Child of the Sixties
    Omega Constellation Collectors: The Omega Constellation Calibre 751 Collection
    Last edited by grey17; December 5th, 2011 at 15:00.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Dr. Ranfft identifies the 751 as a day/date chronometer movement made in the late 60's/early 70's. Based on the style, that looks correct.

The 518 on the bracelet is the bracelet identification number... used for ordering additional links which are no longer available since few stock 40 year old casing/bracelet parts. You can find parts to keep movements running but casing/bracelet parts usually require donor watches.

This watch is from the golden era of Swiss watches... Omega used Constellation casing similar to this for some of their early quartz watches - which then cost as much as or more than this watch did new. And they encased a number of tuning fork models which were quite similar.

The gold was often 40 microns thick... it is not common for it to brass (wear through). So a soft polish may restore a great deal of the watches original luster!

Your grandfather had good taste in watches!! I hope you preserve this heirloom...
    Awesome, thank you very much! I fully intend on having it cleaned & serviced so I can hang on to it for many years, and give it to my son eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by grey17 View Post
    From the Omega database:

Constellation"C"
    Reference: CD 168.0029
    International collection: 1967
    MovementType: Automatic chronometer certified
    Caliber number: 751
    Created in 1967
    24 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    First day/date Omega caliber
    Functions: Day-date, Chronometer
    Case: Gold-cap on stainless steel
    Case back: Screw-in
    Dial: With hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold hands.
    Crystal: Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet: Leather
    Water resistance: 30 meters

Desmond has some articles on his blog regarding both the Constellation C and 751:
    Omega Constellation Collectors: The Constellation C-Shape Watch: Omega's Child of the Sixties
    Omega Constellation Collectors: The Omega Constellation Calibre 751 Collection
    Thank you for all of that great information! I really appreciate it!

One more interesting thing I have found, I see a lot of people referring to the constilation watches as the "Connie," which just so happens to be my grandmothers name! I wonder if that is why he purchased it.

I noticed your in Northern Virginia. May I suggest giving GCA-LA PRECISION - VIENNA WATCH CLOCK SHOP (GCA-LA PRECISION - VIENNA WATCH CLOCK SHOP :: Clock repairs Vienna, VA) a call. Guido is the owner and is very knowledgable on vintage watches especially Omega.
    Last edited by grey17; December 5th, 2011 at 18:48.

Quote Originally Posted by grey17 View Post
    I noticed your in Northern Virginia. May I suggest giving GCA-LA PRECISION - VIENNA WATCH CLOCK SHOP (GCA-LA PRECISION - VIENNA WATCH CLOCK SHOP :: Clock repairs Vienna, VA) a call. Guido is the owner and is very knowledgable on vintage watches especially Omega.
    Perfect! I am not far from that area, I will definitely take it there! Thank you so much!

That's an Omega that I have yet to add to my collection. Really nice watch...do post pictures after you get it cleaned up and serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by baronrojo View Post
    That's an Omega that I have yet to add to my collection. Really nice watch...do post pictures after you get it cleaned up and serviced.
    Thank you! I may actually go to the recommended watch shop tomorrow and see what they have to say. It still works perfectly fine it just looks forty years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootjoec View Post
    Thank you! I may actually go to the recommended watch shop tomorrow and see what they have to say. It still works perfectly fine it just looks forty years old.
    To be honest though...it doesn't look to be in that bad of a shape. I'm sure it will clean up nicely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information