Vintage Omega Deville authenticity

Thread: Vintage Omega Deville authenticity

Question Vintage Omega Deville authenticity

Good morning,

I've been looking at vintage Omegas recently and although I've been reading a lot in the last few days, I am still a neophyte when it come to vintage watches.
    I'm aware that "Franken" watches are now everywhere and that one must be extra careful when looking to buy vintage.
    I humbly ask for this forum's knowledge and experience in helping me purchase a beautiful Omega Deville '64.

The watch I'm currently looking at is being sold by ConnoisseurofTime in GA. Attached are the pictures.
    Although I've done some research, I would like you guys' opinion on the authenticity of this watch.
    Here are my notes/questions:
    - I've cross-referenced the movement serial number 20963345 with the database here: Omega Serial Numbers By Year.... The seller claims this watch dates back to 1964 and the serial # suggests so indeed.
    - I've looked up the ref # on the case back 166.020 in the Omega Vintage database. It appears that the model (Deville) is correct as well as the caliber (562) and that these watches were produced in 1962. (Doesn't match with movement date. However, I wonder if 1962 is only the production start date?)
    - My concerns are the crown and the hour markers: I have limited knowledge about the crowns and the hour markers so any insight here would be appreciated.
    - Idem for the date display. Does this look legit to you guys?
    - Overall, authentic vintage watch (seller claims 100% original and offers 1 year warranty) or Franken?
    - Finally, has anyone here dealt with ConnoisseurofTime before? If so, how was the experience and what is their reputation?

Thank you very much for your time.

Name:  Deville_2.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  39.7 KBName:  Deville_3.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  68.3 KBName:  Deville_back.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  64.0 KBName:  Deville_caseback.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  73.2 KBName:  Deville_crown.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  40.9 KBName:  Deville_562.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  91.0 KBName:  Deville_562(2).jpg
Views: 680
Size:  89.2 KB

Re: Vintage Omega Deville authenticity

Dial looks to be redone, the word automatic is not properly centered under Omega. The rest looks okay to me.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Colour difference between rotor and the rest of the movement is suspect - signs of a mariage?!

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Colour difference between rotor and the rest of the movement is suspect - signs of a mariage?!

Hartmut Richter
    Highly likely. Even though this is one of the best automatic movements ever made, it has its issues. Rotor pivot is one. Likely a replacement. Which doesn't make it a franken. ;)

By the way, I am not so sure the dial was redone. If it was, hats off for quality.

Thank you very much for your responses.
    Very good point about the rotor, I hadn't noticed!

go for it
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Thread Information