Vintage Omega Geneve

Thread: Vintage Omega Geneve

Vintage Omega Geneve

Hello Everyone

I wanted to buy a watch that was "born" the same year as I. I found this one in a local Jeweller and bought it. I paid £175 for it complete with a 6 month guarantee and a new Omega strap. I was wondering if I have paid the right price for it or not. It doesn't really matter because as I far as I can see it's the genuine article and it's running + 5 seconds per day which I think is quite good considering it's nearly 41 years old. Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Mark.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Vintage Omega Geneve

It's worth what you're willing to pay for it, and apparently you were willing to pay 175. I'm assuming it was serviced, so factoring that into the price, it's a good deal. Maybe too good. I'm a rank amateur as far as Omega's go, and it might just be the light, but the train bridge seems to have a different look to it which could mean that it was a replacment part. Which would still be "genuine" but not necessarily "original". The dial may also have been refinished, as the "g" in omega looks a bit off to me.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by mdaynes View Post
    Hello Everyone

I wanted to buy a watch that was "born" the same year as I. I found this one in a local Jeweller and bought it. I paid £175 for it complete with a 6 month guarantee and a new Omega strap. I was wondering if I have paid the right price for it or not. It doesn't really matter because as I far as I can see it's the genuine article and it's running + 5 seconds per day which I think is quite good considering it's nearly 41 years old. Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Mark.
    That's a pretty watch, Mark. The way I look at it: in 5 years if you're still wearing it with pride, it wouldn't matter if you'd paid plus or minus 20 pounds for it initially.

Hell, most of us blow that much in drink over a 1-2 month period.

I do, anyway, and I'm still a sucker for my old Seamaster.

Cheers from Canada,

Jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

The pictures are a little fuzzy, but it appears in good shape and original. That's a late 60's - very early 70's model. There was a gold plated one on our sales forum for $220 recently, but without strap and no date plus I've not sure of the service history so you're right in the ballpark on price. I checked these out in the Omega book a couple weeks ago and the picture of that exact watch is in there. I can't see the serial number but you must know already if it's from your birth year (1969?).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    The dial may also have been refinished, as the "g" in omega looks a bit off to me.
    Yep, the "O" and "G" sometimes look larger - but that's normal.

I've got one like that, from the same year if memory serves me right?!!

Had it about 5 years now and think I paid around £100 or so for it, but in 'as is' condition!! Luckily, 'as in' happened to be good condition.

With current prices, the service, guarantee and new Omega strap, I'd say you did ok there?!!

I havn't worn mine for ages, so it may be appearing in the sales forum soon?!!

Enjoy your watch

Thread Information