Vintage Omega Identification
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By mxw

Thread: Vintage Omega Identification

mxw

Vintage Omega Identification

Hi

I have dug out my Grandfathers watch, I'd like some more info on it, I have looked all over google images etc to find one similar but can't see any!

My Grandfather purchased it from Switzerland in around 1950 (I believe), I am unsure if it was new or preowned. It is a wind up watch, however I don't want to take the back off to look at the movement as I'm unsure how / don't want to do any damage to a working watch.

I have attached some photos.

Any information would be great! Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shum, ludfan and radger like this.

Re: Vintage Omega Identification

Hi, the ID information (model and movement serial no) will be inside the caseback and on the movement. If you can open up or get opened it would help a lot unless someone else in here has the same model...

Looks like a nice original piece at first glance
    specto magis

Welcome to WUS.

I'd say – without seeing the movement – that it's a calibre 30T2 SC (SC = centre seconds) from the 1940-1950. Take a hunt through the Omega vintage database, searching under the calibre number I've suggested. This style is one of my very favourite vintage Omega, highly collectible. Congratulations! You really ought to look into getting it serviced, though. No idea where in the world you are, so unable to suggest a watchmaker near you, but seek out a watchmaker who is sensitive to vintage watches (you don't want to 'restore' a beauty like this, the dial is aged, but that authenticity is what people want).

Here in the UK, you'd expect to pay between £50-100 for a basic service that would add years to its life.

Very nice watch. I'm jealous.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

mxw
    Thanks for all the compliments, it was a given to me for my 21st birthday and my Grandfather wore it everyday of his life since he had it.

I rang around a few places asking about services (mainly Omega dealers) and they didn't seem to interested.

I'm in the Midlands in England, however I'd love to find a nice genuine watchmaker who I can trust to service it, as I've taken other watches to be services at shops in the past and they have just been thrown around!

I'll take a look through the Omega files as you mentioned.

Thanks
    Max

I will PM you.

Omega will service this watch, but their standard service charge for this model would be £440, as shown on their website price list. Gulp.

Quote Originally Posted by mxw View Post
    Thanks for all the compliments, it was a given to me for my 21st birthday and my Grandfather wore it everyday of his life since he had it.

I rang around a few places asking about services (mainly Omega dealers) and they didn't seem to interested.

I'm in the Midlands in England, however I'd love to find a nice genuine watchmaker who I can trust to service it, as I've taken other watches to be services at shops in the past and they have just been thrown around!

I'll take a look through the Omega files as you mentioned.

Thanks
    Max

Wonderful watch! Be sure to change the spring bars as one is poking through it's lug hole because it could be to thin and we don't want the strrap falling off. It could also mean that the lugs might be damage from the inside so be sure to check this out before you wear it and could add to the cost if the case needs repairing.
    Last edited by Shum; February 11th, 2015 at 12:38.

mxw
    Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    Wonderful watch! Be sure to change the spring bars as one is poking through it's lug hole because it to thin and we don't want the strrap falling off.
    Ah yes, it seems flush at the other end, I'm wanting to change the strap anyway as it's got a gold buckle rather than a silver one. However I want to change it for a genuine Omega one, will I be able to find a period correct one do you think?

I've seen some 'genuine' ones on eBay for around £25 but this seems a bit cheap, or am I just being over cautious?!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mxw View Post
    Ah yes, it seems flush at the other end, I'm wanting to change the strap anyway as it's got a gold buckle rather than a silver one. However I want to change it for a genuine Omega one, will I be able to find a period correct one do you think?

I've seen some 'genuine' ones on eBay for around £25 but this seems a bit cheap, or am I just being over cautious?!

Thanks
    They are all fakes made of cheap leather and the real thing will cost a lot more. You might be able to find a vintage buckle and have it mounted on a new quality strap. I'm not a strap guy though so maybe in the Straps and Bracelets forum.

Straps & Bracelets
    Last edited by Shum; February 11th, 2015 at 12:50.

Suspect that the pin sticking out is simply the wrong kind of strap pin, too thin, or with the shoulder worn off. It's a stainless case, so pretty tough. And so hopefully, a simple matter to sort out. A genuine, genuine Omega strap like this 18mm calf strap will cost you around £50, a genuine buckle around £20. As Shum says, most of the stuff on the 'Bay is fake and of very questionable origin. A real Omega strap will last a lot longer. Spring bars are very cheap and easily changed by someone with the tools to do so.
    For this period, the winding crown button and glass were both (typically) unsigned, so these details shouldn't concern you at this point.

Thread Information