Vintage Omega: old redial, overzealous cleaning, or weird original?

Thread: Vintage Omega: old redial, overzealous cleaning, or weird original?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Omega: old redial, overzealous cleaning, or weird original?

I've gone past my depth on this one, and thought maybe y'all could lend a hand in deciphering the history and validity of it.

What is known from simple observation:

-the case is marked, both between the lugs and inside the caseback: "W 14K GOLD FILLED".
    -the movement is a cal 351, serial number 12198432
    -under the "Omega Watch Co" logo inside the caseback, there are 2 sets of numbers, "G6213" and "W159674"
    -there are also at least 4 inscriptions inside the caseback from various watchmakers over the years.
    -edited to add: Omega signed crown
    In my various internet pokings around since I bought the watch, I've found the same case/dial/movement combination a couple of times, so I don't believe this to be a total frankenization. However, the one thing I've found to be worrisome and atypical on my personal example is the lack of "swiss made" below the 6 marker.

Here's a picture of the questionable dial. my question is this: does this look like an original dial that's had some of the script scrubbed off, or a redial that was done long enough ago to get a good patina?
    Thanks all for looking.
    Name:  P_20160222_072711_1.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  754.0 KB
    Last edited by LeatherMan64; February 22nd, 2016 at 13:51. Reason: add info
    Seiko: skx007, skx173, snk805, snk809, goofy '76 hexagon case auto
    Hamilton: Khaki field auto
    Vostok: '80s Amphibia 470, 80s komandirskie, modern 090 Amphibia, 110 Amphibia
    Vintage: Wittnauer revue, R. Gsell,'65 Timex, 1937 Bulova Minuteman, 1950 Bulova Bowen, C. 1955 Jules Jergensen
    Pocket: molnija, Westclox Scotty, Sears RR motif
    Randoms: HMT frankenpilot, Father's Timex expedition, grandfather's Timex digi, great-grandfather's Cromwell handwinder, random no-name stopwatch

Re: Vintage Omega: old redial, overzealous cleaning, or weird original?

I won't pretend to have enough expertise to offer anything of value on this, but you might want to consider posting here as well:
    Omega Fake Busters

If you can get the dial out of the case, one thing I just learned (thanks to some helpful people on this forum) is that the redialers will put a tiny notch on the outside of the dial for alignment purposes. I was able to use this to determine that a 1956 Bulova I just purchased was indeed a redial, albeit an old one.

Thanks! I'll cross post over to there, hopefully that's allowed. Good thought on the dial, I'm going to take a look.
    Vintage: Wittnauer revue, R. Gsell,'65 Timex, 1937 Bulova Minuteman, 1950 Bulova Bowen, C. 1955 Jules Jergensen
    Randoms: HMT frankenpilot, Father's Timex expedition, grandfather's Timex digi, great-grandfather's Cromwell handwinder, random no-name stopwatch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have a look at the words "Omega" and "Automatic". They're pretty wonky, looking like hand applied to me. Same for the seconds indices and, they don't like they are correctly placed at all. The crown looks replaced (you probably already saw that).

The second hand looks to be a replacement, as well. This is how one should look, although it may not be the same model:

Last edited by WindUpToy; February 22nd, 2016 at 14:32.

Quote Originally Posted by WindUpToy View Post
    Have a look at the words "Omega" and "Automatic". They're pretty wonky, looking like hand applied to me. Same for the seconds indices and, they don't like they are correctly placed at all. The crown looks replaced (you probably already saw that).

The second hand looks to be a replacement, as well. This is how one should look, although it may not be the same model:

Sorry but I do not think it should look like this with relumed unmatching color and replaced crown..
    Chaos is my focus

thanks for the response and picture windup. I hear what you're saying about the script and indices. What I forgot to mention is that the crown is in fact Omega signed and appears correct.

My money is on it's an older redial.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

Wonky text & a minute chapter that doesn't align with the applied markers. Signs of a redial.

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post

Sorry but I do not think it should look like this with relumed unmatching color and replaced crown..
    I'm sure you're correct and I should have chosen a reference image more carefully. It's more of the precision of the dial and text that I was referencing.

IMO an old redial.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information