Vintage Omega restoration question

I just picked up this Omega Seamaster ref. 166.042 on ebay:

(seller e-bay photo)

(seller e-bay photo)

It has an Omega 565 automatic movement:

(seller e-bay photo)

And a somewhat funky compressor case:

(seller e-bay photo)

I want to get this watch restored by having the case replated to a silver tone and the dial restored to match (as in the photo below):

My watchmaker said the case was a little to funky for his liking and didn't want to fool with it. Anyone know where I can send this to be restored?

thanks

Mark S.

Re: Vintage Omega restoration question

Hi Mark,

don't want to discourage you, but I believe, this is more a task for a hobbyist who enjoys the lots of work to be done. The easiest and cheapest way is to look for a sample with steel case, and kick yours back into the bay. Already preparing and plating the case, and a well done redial would cost you more than a mint steel watch, and then you still have the movement ruin inside.

I guess your watchmker could have helped you, but is afraid that you'll hate him forever when he has finished.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Agree with Roland. The case looks as though it was originally gold plated, so the correct thing to do would be to replate it gold. The silver model you show would be a model variation, the watch would likely have been available both ways. There are companies who can do this for you, in my experience you'd be looking at the region of USD $50 to do that. The dial is incorrect and is an example of a refinish. To get it refinished correctly would cost you around USD $50-100. The movement is in sad shape. An overhaul would probably set you back USD $100-150. Omega signed crown USD $20. Bracelet? Strap? Looks like the crystal has a crack in it; an Omega one would be some USD $30.

But if you're feeling stubborn… this case might be what you're looking for: eBay 141349055247

It might be easier to start over again, or as Lord Grade said about his movie Raise the Titanic "It would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic."
    Last edited by Habitant; August 14th, 2014 at 16:08.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Roland and Habitant for the advice.

Once again, it appears I've bit off more than I can chew. Not an unusual occurrence for me, especially when it comes to vintage watches.

I think I agree and will look for something a little closer to what I have in mind for the finished product.

Mark S.

Interesting! Had no idea they were available in gilt cases.

Best
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Thread Information