Vintage Omega Seamaster DV Need Help with 1st Vintage Purchase! Frankenwatch?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mkws

Thread: Vintage Omega Seamaster DV Need Help with 1st Vintage Purchase! Frankenwatch?

Vintage Omega Seamaster DV Need Help with 1st Vintage Purchase! Frankenwatch?

Hi, long time lurker here. I have found a local seller with this Omega Seamaster De Ville but am wondering if it is a watch which has been refinished. I've looked up countless pictures and Im led to believe the dial might have been refinished. Also wondering what would be a fair price you guys would pay for a watch like this. Any help would be appreciated! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

This is the information the seller has provided me:

It has a manually wound 17 jewel cal. 611 mechanism. The watch was recently serviced and a service receipt will be provided with the sale.

Reference no. 136.010.

Unishell stainless steel case with hippocampus mark on the back

Omega signed crown

Name:  00D0D_5GaOIanUIkU_1200x900.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  40.8 KBName:  00e0e_cuAaKTXcrnB_1200x900.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  34.8 KBName:  00d0d_hoMxu3DBP3K_1200x900.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  38.5 KBName:  00F0F_3zfTaGwKdLw_1200x900.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  85.6 KBName:  00F0F_af0xfgFoXx5_1200x900.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  41.2 KBName:  00G0G_3GqeSQyPsyt_1200x900.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  102.0 KBName:  00J0J_k46exL1rRbf_1200x900.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  41.8 KBName:  00707_dtcyQ39lVPa_1200x900.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  35.1 KBName:  01515_4vTd3qkazML_1200x900.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  108.1 KBName:  00P0P_kozz1TBVORH_1200x900.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  39.7 KB

Re: Vintage Omega Seamaster DV Need Help with 1st Vintage Purchase! Frankenwatch?

Dreadful redial in a badly overpolished case.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: Vintage Omega Seamaster DV Need Help with 1st Vintage Purchase! Frankenwatch?

So mkws, do you think the provided reference number 136.0010 is correct? OVD claims this is a press-in caseback, which I take to mean snap type. Clearly, the OP's is a front loader.

Hmm..... maybe an error in the OVD? The "6" in the reference number should indicate water-resistant calendar type, which matches the watch in this thread.

Once again, please educate me!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by typ73; November 9th, 2017 at 03:51.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by typ73 View Post
    So mkws, do you think the provided reference number 136.0010 is correct? OVD claims this is a press-in caseback, which I take to mean snap type. Clearly, the OP's is a front loader.

Hmm..... maybe an error in the OVD? The "6" in the reference number should indicate water-resistant calendar type, which matches the watch in this thread.

I would like a better look at the reference number; 136.0018 and 136.0019 are both unishell.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I don't think it's 136.0010 as posted by the OP - more likely, as Dan suggested, it's a 0019 or 0018. The last two digits in the picture are blotchy and illegible.
    If it turns out to indeed be a 0010, that would mean a fake - but I think it's more likely that the OP has simply made a typo.
    While I've seen fake SM300 and Constellation cases before, I don't think I've seen a fake SMDV case (or that of any other Omega front loader, for that matter).
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    I don't think it's 136.0010 as posted by the OP - more likely, as Dan suggested, it's a 0019 or 0018. The last two digits in the picture are blotchy and illegible.
    If it turns out to indeed be a 0010, that would mean a fake - but I think it's more likely that the OP has simply made a typo.
    While I've seen fake SM300 and Constellation cases before, I don't think I've seen a fake SMDV case (or that of any other Omega front loader, for that matter).
    Another question: did Omega have models that were considered water resistant but had snap on casebacks? These would seem to be two mutually exclusive entities, at least based on the snap on casebacks I've seen.

Last edited by typ73; November 9th, 2017 at 16:46.

Another question: did Omega have models that were considered water resistant but had snap on casebacks? These would seem to be two mutually exclusive entities, at least based on the snap on casebacks I've seen.

Yes - quite a lot of 1950s Seamasters. The Omega Ranchero also had a press-in back. But as far as I know, these cases had case back gaskets.
    typ73 likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Yes - quite a lot of 1950s Seamasters. The Omega Ranchero also had a press-in back. But as far as I know, these cases had case back gaskets.
    Thank you, sir. That explains it. I haven't personally seen (or more likely I wasn't paying attention) snap back casebacks with gaskets

Thread Information