Vintage Opel De Luxe watch - any info out there?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vintage Opel De Luxe watch - any info out there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member DHopper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, Mo
    Posts
    373

    Question Vintage Opel De Luxe watch - any info out there?

    Hi all. Here's a cool little find I picked up this morning for a few bucks. I've been searching all over trying to figure out where in the world this baby came from, but I have found nada. It's obviously not a high-end luxury piece. It has a Swiss made 1 jewel unadjusted movement. It's set in a chromed base metal case with stainless back and plastic crystal. I really love the cool 24 hr double dial. Very neat retro feeling design.

    Have you all seen these before? Know who may have manufactured it or when? Anything you could pass along would be greatly appreciated!! Thx much.


    Name:  a9723a98.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  116.9 KB
    Name:  7b7a1570.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  121.4 KB
    Dave
    Hi, my name is Dave, and I'm a Chronoholic. It's been almost a XXXX day since my last chrono buy. I'm still going through DTs, and I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.

  2. #2
    Member Marrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    7,743

    Re: Vintage Opel De Luxe watch - any info out there?

    Hi. I don't know the brand, although the logo is similar to that used by Opel cars, but the movement is a Baumgartner 866(CLD) bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Baumgartner 866(CLD)

    These were made in vast quantities and turn up in many brands. It looks in nice condition.
    DHopper71 likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)


    Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

  3. #3
    Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Hague-Amman-London-Berlin
    Posts
    49,271

    Re: Vintage Opel De Luxe watch - any info out there?

    Most likely a PLB watch out of the 60ties for the Adam Opel AG, in Germany shortened to Opel, a German automobile company founded by Adam Opel in 1862. The company is headquartered in Rüsselsheim, Germany. The watch might have been made for the German market.
    DHopper71 likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike


    Instagram @mikestuffler

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member DHopper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, Mo
    Posts
    373

    Re: Vintage Opel De Luxe watch - any info out there?

    Wow. Amazing. The depth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me. Thank you both for your super fast input.

    I was familiar with the cars, having lived in Germany for a few years, but was rather purposely separating the two thinking that they couldn't be related. Cool that there could be that connection.

    Thanks for the info on the movement Marrick! I never would have found that on my own!!

    It really is in overall great condition. Really clean. I do need to adjust it though. It is running very fast at the moment. It has gained 20 minutes in the last 4 hours. Anything else wrong that causes that?
    Dave
    Hi, my name is Dave, and I'm a Chronoholic. It's been almost a XXXX day since my last chrono buy. I'm still going through DTs, and I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.

  6. #5
    Member Marrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    7,743

    Re: Vintage Opel De Luxe watch - any info out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by DHopper71 View Post
    Thanks for the info on the movement Marrick! I never would have found that on my own!!

    It really is in overall great condition. Really clean. I do need to adjust it though. It is running very fast at the moment. It has gained 20 minutes in the last 4 hours. Anything else wrong that causes that?
    You are most welcome.

    I'm not a watchmaker, but that rate of gain is beyond adjusting. It probably needs a service (COA) - but it could be some magnetism of the hairspring. These were cheap movements, and although they have proved to be great workhorses, the lack of jewels could mean that there is wear in the mechanism that is beyond sensible repair. Others may know more.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)


    Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3

    Re: Vintage Opel De Luxe watch - any info out there?

    hi im gboy. Have you all seen these before? yes i have seen it i have one like this. same as this pic. why u are looking for this kind of watch?


  8. #7
    Member mike184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    846

    Re: Vintage Opel De Luxe watch - any info out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Most likely a PLB watch out of the 60ties for the Adam Opel AG, in Germany shortened to Opel, a German automobile company founded by Adam Opel in 1862. The company is headquartered in Rüsselsheim, Germany. The watch might have been made for the German market.
    Hi!

    Indeed it´s an old logo of the Adam Opel AG, Germany, dates the watch to 1963 or older.

    1954 - 1963(with a Zeppelin)

    1963, only for a short period

    1964, the first one with the thunderbolt
    Last edited by mike184; May 20th, 2012 at 21:23.
    Best regards, Mike

  9. #8
    Member john87300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Limousin France
    Posts
    653

    Re: Vintage Opel De Luxe watch - any info out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    Hi!

    Indeed it´s an old logo of the Adam Opel AG, Germany, dates the watch to 1963 or older.

    1954 - 1963(with a Zeppelin)

    1963, only for a short period

    1964, the first one with the thunderbolt
    Mike, for some reason I can't see your photos, but my first thought on seeing the watch is that it was perhaps a promotional item produced for Opel, rather like the watches produced by Mauthe and others for VW in the 1950's. The original ones of these bore the makers name on the front and were for the VW 100000km award, later ones appear to have been marked as Wolfsberg.
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

  10. #9
    Member mike184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    846

    Re: Vintage Opel De Luxe watch - any info out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by john87300 View Post
    Mike, for some reason I can't see your photos, but my first thought on seeing the watch is that it was perhaps a promotional item produced for Opel, rather like the watches produced by Mauthe and others for VW in the 1950's. The original ones of these bore the makers name on the front and were for the VW 100000km award, later ones appear to have been marked as Wolfsburg.
    Hi John!

    Exactly what I think, watches produced for promotional use.
    Here are the different logos on the original site.
    Best regards, Mike

  11. #10
    Member john87300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Limousin France
    Posts
    653

    Re: Vintage Opel De Luxe watch - any info out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    Hi John!

    Exactly what I think, watches produced for promotional use.
    Here are the different logos on the original site.
    Thanks Mike, an interesting read, even though my German is only a just above non-existant, I got there in the end.

    I'd forgotten all about the ancient Kadett I once was the "lucky" owner of!
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •