Vintage pocket watch: unknown specs!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marrick

Thread: Vintage pocket watch: unknown specs!

VLM

Vintage pocket watch: unknown specs!

Hi all,

I got this nice pocketwatch and its in such a good condition, however there is nothing on the watch found that helps me to identify the manufacturer or age. Perhaps you might recognize the small codes and help me identify this watch?
    Name:  IMG_1443.JPG
Views: 575
Size:  28.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_1445_2.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  29.3 KB

Some keys:
    • On the watch movement there is the following sign written both horizontal and crossing vertical with ?ein and arrows pointing outwards (see picture)
    • On the cage next to the watch movement there is the number 562
    • In the plate covering the watch movement there is the number 1562 (see picture)
    • On the outercage are again the numbers 1562, also 5594h and a very small inscription 17 10/25 v 5v
    • The watch is silverplated

Thanks a lot!!

Name:  IMG_1447_2.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  68.5 KBName:  IMG_1453_2.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  61.8 KBName:  IMG_1453_3.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  37.2 KB

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Vintage pocket watch: unknown specs!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's a nice watch but unless someone can recongise that mark I doubt we will be able to identify it.

Aside from that it appears to be a crown wind and pin set movement - data 1880 - 1915 with likely date closer to the latter. The movement is a generic 'Swiss' bar cylinder escapement. I say generic because this pattern was made by many people including both small workshops and larger companies, some of whom cased up the movements themselves, others sold the movements out to be finished and case up by others.

There may be more marks under the dial or under the movement plates which might help identify it further, but to be honest, it will not be easy.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The only movement with that sort of single geartrain bridge for all three gears in a cylindre escapement watch is that by Favre Freres. I have one in a family heirloom which I got long ago for my confirmation. Their logo is a pair of back to back "F"s with a small star at the top - but no arrow there anywhere. Can you post a clearer picture of the logo?

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Favre Freres 18'''

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

The only?

Name:  6882853945_8f4b0f3fed.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  186.0 KB

Name:  6919590126_3d856199b6_o.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  10.7 KB

There are two from Meyer & Studeli...

Not exactly the same I grant you, but clearly a common design. But yes a better picture would be great.

Mayhap:

Name:  DSCN0522.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  765.7 KB
    Last edited by Marrick; June 6th, 2012 at 10:34.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Yes, the only one - yours doesn't have a straight bottom edge. Which to my mind makes it more recent and more "wrist watchy".....

(Same goes for the ETA 355 or the AS 52, BTW).

Hartmut Richter

Crikey! - I call that a fantastic ID job!! According to Microlisk, they were associated with Phenix (who later associated with Revue Thommen, Vulcain, and Buser to form the M.S.R. group).

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Crikey! - I call that a fantastic ID job!! According to Microlisk, they were associated with Phenix (who later associated with Revue Thommen, Vulcain, and Buser to form the M.S.R. group).
    I thought so too Hartmut.

Anyway, not just associated with Phenix - it was Phenix before 2 name changes. This is from Dictionnaire du Jura ? Phénix Watch Co (although every time I look for it moves) auto-translated by google. First section only:

Phenix Watch Co is the first watch manufacturer in Switzerland to have a registered class for a watch movement and it is also that the engineering industry is the famous "Tower Dubail."

The genesis of the Phenix manufacturing begins in 1873, the day Julius Dubail, Jean-Baptiste Joseph Monnin and Frossard Porrentruy founded the company "Dubail, Monnin, Frossard & Cie".
    On 6 May 1899, she became known as "Company Watchmaking Porrentruy" and also acquired buildings in Bassecourt. Jules Dubail leaves the company that year and founded an industrial society to Delle. Six partners are then at the head of the company: Galle Roussel, Jean-Baptiste Monnin, Dubail Louis Adolphe Dubail Dubail Joseph and Joseph Frossard. In February 1902, the "Corporation d'Horlogerie" is liquidated. However, it is reborn under a new name "Phenix Watch Co Ltd" headed by new associates: Edward Boivin, Director, Gaston Daucourt, notary Charles Boivin, industrial, Victor Donzelot, merchant; Senn Constantine, director, residing in Delémont . Jean-Baptiste Monnin will in turn create his own company "Monnin, Rebetez & Co." and "Monnin & Co." in 1917, removed in 1941.
    The Phenix company receives several awards at World Fairs and: La Chaux-de-Fonds (1881), Amsterdam and Zurich (1883), London (1884), Antwerp (1885), Rome (1888), Paris (1889 and 1900 ), Geneva (1896), Thessaloniki (1931). The company exports to Romania (1899), France, Belgium, Austria and Hungary (1900), England, Mexico and Denmark (1901).
    john87300 likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information