Vintage Pop-Up Wrist Watches... anyone have one??

Thread: Vintage Pop-Up Wrist Watches... anyone have one??

Vintage Pop-Up Wrist Watches... anyone have one??

Hi everyone, Happy New Year! Well,I just came across and was outbid at the last micro-second on this very interesting wrist watch. Ive seen only one other one on the 'bay in the last year but I thought it was really interesting and unique. This one was called a "le Jour" 17 Jewel "pop-up" wrist watch. Here are a couple of pics.

Name:  $(KGrHqJ,!igE7EWZUwfNBO-3Kpce7!~~60_3.JPG
Views: 616
Size:  49.5 KBName:  $(KGrHqV,!gsE7BPgO074BO-3KmCJdQ~~60_3.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  42.1 KBName:  $(KGrHqV,!okE63(r2NcwBO-3Ksp,cQ~~60_3.JPG
Views: 464
Size:  44.0 KB
    (pictures are borrowed from the original seller, I hope you dont mind)

Just wondering what these types of watches are actually called? are they "pop-up"? Does anyone actually own one of these? Please post your pictures, I really want one now that Ive seen them! Ill keep my eye out for another out there. Thanks everyone,any additional info will be appreciated!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Vintage Pop-Up Wrist Watches... anyone have one??

That looks like one of the travelling alarm clocks from the fifties made by the myriads by Junghans and the likes - only without the alarm and in wrist watch size. The main ones I have seen using wrist watch movements have been Jaeger LeCoultre alarms (using the Memovox calibre) - obviously a downsized version of the larger plate-and-pillar movements alarm clocks. Not sure about the rationale of making one in that size without an alarm.....

Thanks for sharing.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    That looks like one of the travelling alarm clocks from the fifties made by the myriads by Junghans and the likes - only without the alarm and in wrist watch size. The main ones I have seen using wrist watch movements have been Jaeger LeCoultre alarms (using the Memovox calibre) - obviously a downsized version of the larger plate-and-pillar movements alarm clocks. Not sure about the rationale of making one in that size without an alarm.....

Thanks for sharing.

Hartmut Richter
    Hey there, thanks for the response. I see what you mean about the lack of alarm, it does make more sense to have one as you can use it in the hotel or whatnot. Maybe this was a "cheaper" version. I still really like the style and I hope I can one day find one.Anywho, thanks for the response and info.Have a great day!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  watch3.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  22.8 KBName:  watch4.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  21.8 KBJust found this one today. Circle, don't know that much about it. Very similar, first I've seen has spring on the bottom compared to the other with spring on the top.Name:  watch.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  34.9 KBName:  watch1.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  30.5 KBName:  watch2.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  28.2 KBName:  watch3.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  29.5 KB
    Last edited by mattkoby; January 25th, 2012 at 20:31. Reason: more pics

It's an odd piece. Glad you finally found one for your collection. I'd be curious to know why this style was produced?

Enjoy it!

Thread Information