Vintage Rado World Travel Legit?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Henry Krinkle

Thread: Vintage Rado World Travel Legit?

Vintage Rado World Travel Legit?

I posted this in F71 but it was suggested I check with the knowledgeable folks on this forum. I just purchased a 1970's Rado World Travel from a seller on eBay from South Korea. Perhaps I should have checked before actually winning the auction and paying for it but I did end up having 1 small concern after the fact.

While the seller does seem reliable based on feedback and the watch itself is stated to be 100% authentic (aside from the strap) and looks right; the one thing that concerns me is that I read that Rado watches typically have a serial number and information on the case-back. This one looks like the right case-back for the period but there's nothing aside from the seahorses on it. It does seem very polished so maybe the information was polished off? I think it's from the 70's based on the description and the style but I can't really say for certain since I'm still fairly new to watch collecting and only just discovered that I like vintage Rado watches.

Can anyone shed some light on this and/or maybe know a little more about the watch itself? Either way I do like it (well I haven't received it yet but it looks nice online) so I don't think I'd regret my purchase unless it turns out to be a fake but I don't imagine many would want to fake a Rado from the 70's. Thanks!
    Last edited by SteamJ; July 12th, 2013 at 17:10.
    - Jason

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Vintage Rado World Travel Legit?

I can't really comment since I am no Rado expert. All I can say is that that watch has an Adolf Schild Cal. 1701 or derivative and that I know that Rado used this movement in some of their watches.....

Hartmut Richter

Nice World Travel! It looks pretty authentic to me. It seems like the case has been polished but a reasonable job was done. The caseback however has been polished to within an inch of it's life. A Rado caseback from that era should look like this:

Rado made a lot fo World Travel with different reference numbers. I do not know what specific number should be on your caseback but it might be 11668, 11688 or 11711. There are other Rado models with similar design with reference numbers that are close to this. I would date your World Travel as coming from the early sixties. Rado started using stick hands as early as 1962 with the introduction of the Diastar but did continue to use dauphine hands on a very few dress models until around 1964/65. rado used many AS1700/01s in the early 1960s but moved on to newer movements as the decade wore on. The dial of your watch bears design similarities to the 1961 DeLuxe, the Satellite and some of the early Overpoles. These all come from the very early 1960s.

Last but not least- you are correct that there are not many "fake" Rados from the early 60s to the 70s but there are thousands and thousands of Franken-Rados that have been cobbled together from parts dating to that era.

Enjoy your watch- it's pretty nice.

Cheers.
    SteamJ likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Nice World Travel! It looks pretty authentic to me. It seems like the case has been polished but a reasonable job was done. The caseback however has been polished to within an inch of it's life. A Rado caseback from that era should look like this:

Rado made a lot fo World Travel with different reference numbers. I do not know what specific number should be on your caseback but it might be 11668, 11688 or 11711. There are other Rado models with similar design with reference numbers that are close to this. I would date your World Travel as coming from the early sixties. Rado started using stick hands as early as 1962 with the introduction of the Diastar but did continue to use dauphine hands on a very few dress models until around 1964/65. rado used many AS1700/01s in the early 1960s but moved on to newer movements as the decade wore on. The dial of your watch bears design similarities to the 1961 DeLuxe, the Satellite and some of the early Overpoles. These all come from the very early 1960s.

Last but not least- you are correct that there are not many "fake" Rados from the early 60s to the 70s but there are thousands and thousands of Franken-Rados that have been cobbled together from parts dating to that era.

Enjoy your watch- it's pretty nice.

Cheers.

Thanks for the great info. I figured that was the case with the case back but at least it overall looks good to you. I'm glad I bought it and I'm even happier knowing it's likely from earlier than I thought.
    - Jason

Hi!

I almost agree with Henry. It´s the first version of the World Travel, made 1960 - 1965 in a quantity of 5.000. It´s the Rado version of the Exacto Superautomatic. Exacto was a sister brand of Rado but was given up in 1958, surely Schlup & Co, the owner of both brands at that time, went on with production of Exactos as long as they had parts on stock. The most succesful Exacto models became Rado models then.

Your World Travel looks hardly polished, especially the back, so all the marks are polished away. The Rado writing on the dial looks strange - it´s either reprinted or redone by hand.
    Best regards, Mike

Thanks for the info. That's a little disappointing that the writing may not be original and I do see where it looks a little different. At least the dial itself is original. Since Rado watches aren't really worth much in the first place I suppose it doesn't really affect the "value" too much. It's also nice to know that it was somewhat limited. Speaking of value; in your opinion what wold the value of this particular watch be that I bought? I still like it and don't intend to resell it in the foreseeable future (I want to wear it) but I'm just curious if I overpaid or got a good deal.
    - Jason

No valuations at WUS, that´s part of the forum rules.
    Generally, vintage watches are worth what you can get for them and you know how much you have paid.
    I would pay the same for an unpolished one with all original dial but not for this one.
    Best regards, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    No valuations at WUS, that´s part of the forum rules.
    Generally, vintage watches are worth what you can get for them and you know how much you have paid.
    I would pay the same for an unpolished one with all original dial but not for this one.

Sorry, forgot about that for a minute. Oh well, I still like it at least so, even if I overpaid, I think I'll still enjoy it when it arrives. Maybe I can take my own pictures when it arrives and it'll be better than we thought.
    - Jason

It´s one of the best Rado designs of that era, very clear and nice. I´m sure it will look great on the wrist and that detail with the writing won´t be an eye catcher - macros always see more.
    So enjoy it and wear it in health!
    Best regards, Mike

The watch arrived today. It does look very nice but things that are obviously not right are:

- The acrylic glass is not original since there's no anchor
    - The anchor doesn't rotate
    - The band is pretty crappy (but that's minor since I knew it wasn't original)
    - The case back is orginal but (as mentioned previously) polished to death so all marking, aside from the seahorses, are gone

The logo looks OK when I'm looking at it but I'll have to take a really close picture later to make sure.

Does anyone know if this is a screw down case back? I wanted to be careful removing it and I don't have a case knife if it's a pry open. I'll get close pictures of the movement when I do. I wonder if the anchor can be fixed to move.
    - Jason

Thread Information