Vintage Roamer

Thread: Vintage Roamer

Vintage Roamer

Hi guys,

I got this vintage Roamer off Ebay for £22.50 including postage. I like it a lot, and based on internet research I reckon it's 1950's maybe. The only thing is I'm not sure about the crown and think it may be a replacement as it's unsigned and also not gold like the rest of the watch. Other than that I'm well chuffed with it! Also, haven't been able to get the back off to see the movement, but pretty sure it must be a Roamer MST. Put it on a plain black leather strap I had going spare, think it looks pretty nice on it. Any info, comments, and opinions much appreciated (especially about the possibly non-original crown). I'd particularly like the thoughts of any Roamer collectors and/or experts please .

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by billybobman; October 27th, 2010 at 01:25.

Re: Vintage Roamer

Very nice.

Roamer used a couple of waterproof case systems. One is a 'pressed together' system that I can't find an illustration of but is described here:

bidfun-db 1260979237: 921: Gents Roamer Manual Wind, ca. 1960

They also used a split stem system. This:

One-Piece Cases and the Crystal-Lift Tool [2000] - TimeZone

shows a similar system on another watch. Roamer also cased watches conventionally

The crown is, of course, an important part of waterproofing containing a rubber gasket to ensure a snug fit. Replacing the crown at every service is good practice as the rubber can degrade over time. Possibly the watchmaker didn't have a suitable gold plated one in stock and the owner wasn't bothered at the time. Personally, if I have a watch serviced and the crown needs to be replaced I opt for a cheap generic replacement rather than pay a lot for a 'signed' crown. Many others prefer to pay the difference.

Roamer crowns are still available - Cousins UK - Case Parts by List - but you would need a watchmaker to order the right one.

The strap suits it.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

It will be an MST movement - either an MST372 or 414 (more likely). They are actually easy to take apart (usually), but you should not do this simply to satisfy your curiosity as you risk damage.

You should be able to push firmly with fingers under the lugs and thumbs on the edges of the crystal and gently lever the inner case out of the bezel. You can then remove the crown and stem by pulling it - this takes guts. Some people use a pair of sidecutters if it is tight - for leverage, not cutting! Then you can remove the crystal, dial retaining ring - turn it over and the movement will drop out. Use a lint free tissue not your hand to catch it. It is quite possible to take these apart with no tools at all!

Yours could be late 1950s, although that lug style (and logo) is more early 60s. Yes your crown should be yellow. They are a good stylish watch, enjoy it

I have 2 very similar ones although slightly earlier, they say hello...

Hmmm, perhaps I should wear one of these tomorrow it has been a while.
    Last edited by trim; October 27th, 2010 at 09:14.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When I look at the underside of the crown there appears to be a little gold. it could be that the crown is original with all the gold worn off with use

Cheers guys, appreciate the info, help and compliments posted :thanks. Oh and your two roamers in the photo are gorgeous trim, thanks for sharing.

Hi I do not know if you could help me I have a Bulova it says on the stainless back plate BULOVA M6 10K RGP BEZEL it has the numbers H687553...in the inside it has 11AL...and also seventeen jewels. Do you know anybody that could help me on what it is worth. I t also has a unique shape. Thank you..attached are 2 pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi

We don't attempt valuations in here. This is what we do to get a rough guide as to watch prices:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/ho...ch-436469.html

Otherwise, take it in to a vintage watch dealer for an appraisal. If its a lady's watch, they tend to be of very little value as there are few collectors and many available.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information