Vintage Roamer pocket watch

Thread: Vintage Roamer pocket watch

Vintage Roamer pocket watch

i found this nice running Roamer the other day at a local auction. It runs smooth and quiet, you have to hold it to your ear to hear it tick. i bought to flip but wanted to share it here first. The watch is very thin, only 7 or 8 mm. The plating is coming off the bezel, but I love the look. This is the first roamer I have ever bought, and I like the look. Are the Roamer wristwatches thin also?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Vintage Roamer pocket watch

Quote Originally Posted by lowme55 View Post
    i found this nice running Roamer the other day at a local auction. It runs smooth and quiet, you have to hold it to your ear to hear it tick. i bought to flip but wanted to share it here first. The watch is very thin, only 7 or 8 mm. The plating is coming off the bezel, but I love the look. This is the first roamer I have ever bought, and I like the look. Are the Roamer wristwatches thin also?
    Roamer was a well respected company that made a variety of watches. You can find some swimming in the 'Bay most of the time.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I have a few Roamer wristwatches - average thickness. I don't collect pocket watches, but I like that look very much. I'd guess 1940's.

Mid 20th century Swiss PW's from mid range makers like Roamer, Cyma and Lanco seem to go very cheaply at the moment - but good luck with the selling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement looks like a Meyer & Stüdeli Cal. MST 293:

bidfun-db MST_293: MST 293

Hartmut Richter

Looks very good (except the condition of the chromium plating). What is the size ?

Since the movement is signed Roamer Watch Co. and since the company only took this name in 1952 (after its leading brand name) and since the dial style is late '40's..., your watch probably dates to the early 1950's, around 1952-53 I'd say. Very nice historical watch. At that time Roamer was a true manufacture from what I hear, making excellent movements, producing everything themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by lowme55 View Post
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Quote Originally Posted by sempervivens View Post
    Since the movement is signed Roamer Watch Co. and since the company only took this name in 1952
    Not quite:

- The ROAMER brand was used from 1908 (according to official documentation) and from 1917/18 according to evidence - this appeared on the dials.

- The Roamer brand was used on the movements in the 1920s - this was in addition to the MST logo from about 1927.

What happened in 1952 was that the name of the company (MST) was changed to Roamer. This was independent of the use of the Roamer branding.

That style of logo however was from 1938 onwards, I would put the pocket watch in the 1940s.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

My gut feel for date was late 30's/ 40's but of course Kris is correct with his dating based on logo style!

Thread Information