Vintage Rolex 6234 authenticity
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By o.v.e

Thread: Vintage Rolex 6234 authenticity

Vintage Rolex 6234 authenticity

My siblings and i have been looking for a vintage rolex to buy our father for his 60th. I've found a 6234 and i've got the seller to agree to $14500 which seems to be considerably lower then most similar models. His ad stated that the dial has been refinished but that all other parts are original. This is quite a bit of money for us and we need help. We are not experts and would really appreciate any assistance we can get so if anyone sees anything suspicious in the pics below please let us know.

Thanks in advance

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Vintage Rolex 6234 authenticity

Uugh. I wouldn't do it. What You got there is:

- a Valjoux 72
    - a redone dial (any Valjoux 72 dial can be turned into a Rolex dial, when it is reprinted)
    - in a case, that bears the name Rolex in the back

I am not saying it is a fake, but we are talking about a lot of money. Why does it have to be vintage? The redone dial does tremendously influence the value. Plus, a Valjoux 72 requires a service every 3-4 years. These girls are the real divas. I would rather suggest buying him a newer Rolex, and avoid all the pitfalls of high priced vintage Rolexes. Which are overpriced anyways, compared to other brands.

Just to show You one example:

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_trksi...at=0&_from=R40

It is even white gold.
    Last edited by o.v.e; November 17th, 2012 at 18:30.
    Eeeb and radger like this.

Does this watch come with box and papers?
    Does it have a service history by Rolex ?
    Was the dial re-finished by Rolex?

The steel bracelet is too small at the lugs and is obviously incorrect for this watch.

These watches are rare and valuable if good and authentic, nobody would dare to tell you that this watch is
    all good and correct based on a few pictures, it would need to be taken to an authorised dealer for expert appraisal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sasso View Post
    My siblings and i have been looking for a vintage rolex to buy our father for his 60th. I've found a 6234 and i've got the seller to agree to $14500 which seems to be considerably lower then most similar models.
    Okay, maybe I'm a bit cynical, but there's something...off...about someone asking an online vintage forum to authenticate a $15k watch. At that price point, even if it IS a fake, I'd expect it to be a good enough fake to not only fool us (who are just looking at pictures) but also "professional" appraisers whose job it is to identify such things. And frankly, I'm inclined to suspect that you're actually a prospective con-artist looking for pointers on what how to better "sell" this watch to dupes.

If you're actually serious and are really willing to drop that kind of money on a this, simply buy it with a credit card, and immediately give it to a authorized Rolex dealer experienced with vintage, and have them verify it for you. If its a fake, notify the credit card company, and you'll get your money back.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Okay, maybe I'm a bit cynical, but there's something...off...about someone asking an online vintage forum to authenticate a $15k watch. At that price point, even if it IS a fake, I'd expect it to be a good enough fake to not only fool us (who are just looking at pictures) but also "professional" appraisers whose job it is to identify such things. And frankly, I'm inclined to suspect that you're actually a prospective con-artist looking for pointers on what how to better "sell" this watch to dupes.

It doesn't smell like that to me. Or maybe, as a moderator you have to become a professional optimist. Otherwise you burn out. I used those moderator powers alluded to in another thread and saw nothing that made me suspicious. I suspect we have a naive watch buyer who is actually asking for help.

To Sasso, the OP (Original Poster), if it were my money, I would confine my Rolex buying to new watches from legitimate sources. Vintage Rolexes have an inflated value driven by factors I am not going to go into here. Slight variances can have an appreciable impact on value. You have to know an awful lot and navigate carefully to avoid tragedy. Asking in your first WUS post for buying advice shows you are not at that knowledge level. I know I'm not and this isn't my first post.

Welcome to WUS. We may have saved you a major headache. If so, we served one of our purposes.
    Last edited by Eeeb; November 18th, 2012 at 00:03. Reason: comma splice corrected
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    It doesn't smell like that to me. Or maybe, as a moderator you have to become a professional optimist. Otherwise you burn out. I used those moderator powers alluded to in another thread and saw nothing that made me suspicious. I suspect we have a naive watch buyer who is actually asking for help.

To Sasso, the OP (Original Poster), if it were my money, I would confine my Rolex buying to new watches from legitimate sources. Vintage Rolexes have an inflated value driven by factors I am not going to go into here. Slight variances can have an appreciable impact on value. You have to know an awful lot and navigate carefully to avoid tragedy. Asking in your first WUS post for buying advice shows you are not at that knowledge level. I know I'm not and this isn't my first post.

Welcome to WUS. We may have saved you a major headache. If so, we served one of our purposes.

First of all I assure you I am not a con-man. I'm just an overeager son who wants to do something special for a father who has given so much to his children. I realize though that I am simply way out of my league even thinking about purchasing a vintage watch like this.

Thank you to all for your help. Forums like this really are tremendously helpful for people like me who love beautiful watches but just have very little knowledge about them. I agree that a newer watch would make much more sense. I'm already looking for a Daytona 116520 from a reputable dealer. It may not be as obscure but Im certain my father will love it.

Thanks again for the help

Sasso, i commend you for wanting to do something special. A gift watch would probably be worn quite a bit, so i submit that a new Rolex can handle that task better than a watch that is already decades old.
    An odd thing for me to say, since i collect vintage watches almost exclusively, and have two variants of the wonderful Valjoux 72.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Thread Information