Vintage rolex

Thread: Vintage rolex

Vintage rolex

My grandfather was a farmer and in the process of moving come over some of his stuff, we found a bunch of watches all of which were non working Timex except one (i think you know what it is based upon the title). I found an old Rolex speedking. I was surprised since my grandfather was a farmer he didnt make a lot of money. I did some research and found out that a rolex was selling their crono models to ww2 soldiers for around .50 cents to a dollar, my grand father worked for around 1-2 a day so it was within his means. Its a 4220 model speedking from around the early to mid 1940's i think.

Name:  DSC_0641.jpg
Views: 3717
Size:  98.9 KB

It didnt work when i wound it so i went to see if it was in fact genuine

Name:  DSC_0573.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0578.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  220.6 KB

I think it is pretty clear why it didnt work, i thought it was rust at first so i took it down to the local rolex AD and wanted about $900 to fix it (they were going to replace everything because they say it was rusted) so i took it home without out repairing it. I opened up the case and wiped my finger along the metal and found out that its not rusted.

Name:  DSC_0640.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  176.4 KB

At least where the jeweler said it was. I was thinking that i am going to see if i can get someone to clean up the movement and identify if any parts need replacing and then go from there.

It works but for no more than 30 sec, if i tap on the case i can see the hair spring go for a bit and then it stops so im hoping that the main issue is its dirty but i have feeling that it could be worse than that.

Thought i would share with you guys and maybe you would know more about this watch than i do so any help would be appreciated.

At first glance, I would say just get it serviced once from your local but reliable watchmaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Vintage rolex

Oooh a super-balance. Nice. I have about 1/2 of one of these It seems to be adjusted to TWO positions, but seems to have many features of the chronometers. I'd be interested to see what it says a bit more clearly.

I agree, a GOOD watchmaker is the place to start. These 10.5 hunter movements are simple, robust and should be able to be repaired easily enough.
    Last edited by trim; January 3rd, 2012 at 20:08.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Very nice find, yes get it serviced by a good watchmaker and it should serve you well. As I grew up in the country, it's my experience that while some farmers can to appear poor there can very often be quite a bit of cash about especially at certain times of the year, so a farmer with a Rolex is no surprise to me at all!

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Oooh a super-balance. Nice. I have about 1/2 of one of these It seems to be adjusted to TWO positions, but seems to have many features of the chronometers. I'd be interested to see what it says a bit more clearly.

I agree, a GOOD watchmaker is the place to start. These 10.5 hunter movements are simple, robust and should be able to be repaired easily enough.
    What specifically would you like to see? It says at the top "17 jewels rolex geneva" in the middle it says "two 2 positions adjusted" then on the lower left it says "ROW" i cant see any other writing besides swiss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Very nice find, yes get it serviced by a good watchmaker and it should serve you well. As I grew up in the country, it's my experience that while some farmers can to appear poor there can very often be quite a bit of cash about especially at certain times of the year, so a farmer with a Rolex is no surprise to me at all!
    It was a work watch as the crystal shows and the band is pretty beat up (not rolex). I dont know how much a Timex cost at the time nor this Rolex in Colorado it may have started out as a dress watch since it is less beat up than the others. I am currently living in Prague in the Czech republic and my knowledge of the area a limited and the only store that i could see doing it would be this one Hodiná?ství Bechyn? / servis The only work i have had them do though is replace a battery (which they did for a lot cheaper than back in the states). In a tag heuer a jeweler in the states wanted $75 to replace the battery and pressure test it, the shop in the link did it for about $15.

If i can at least get it working i will throw a nice leather strap on it depending on if i can afford a strap after i get serviced...

Nice find...Be interested in hearing how it works out.

Very cool find.
    50 cents to a dollar sounds so cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    Nice find...Be interested in hearing how it works out.
    Well that was the only prices i could find and it was in the 40's but that was to allied troops in Europe so it may have actually cost more than that in the states.

I visited my local Watch repair shop yesterday and they took about 30 seconds to say that the watch was too old the only place that could service it would be Rolex in Geneva, so im going to imagine he would not be a "good" watchmaker. It may have to wait until i go back to the states unless i find someone good here in the Czech Republic that i can trust.

It looks like a Rolex 1200, a movement made by Aegler, post 1935, by the crown on the dial. Aegler was owned until mid thirties? by Rolex, Aegler and Gruen. I forget the actual dates. The company was bought out by Rolex after Gruen dropped out, if memory serves. A nice piece, I prefer the older Rolexes.

Check if Rolex is servicing vintage watches again. My understanding was that they stopped servicing vintage pieces (I'm glad Omega still offers this service) but that they were going to start servicing again.

Parts for vintage Rolex are VERY hard to come by and you should make sure you go to a reliable watchmaker even if it's going to cost a bit more. I've had a mid '40s Rolex at the spa for over 3 months and it's mostly due to parts availability. If possible try to find a watchmaker that has a Rolex parts account...it might make things easier.

However...with a family heirloom I would go with Rolex servicing if it's a possibility.

Thread Information