Vintage Rolex Watch
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Vintage Rolex Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Rolex Watch

Hello,

I am looking for a bit of information on this Rolex wristwatch. If anyone could tell me the age, model and I am assuming this is a mans watch? It currently runs for about a minute or so then stops, there is really no markings other than 17 rubies and Swiss Made on the movement.

Thanks!

Blaine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Vintage Rolex Watch

Rolex is always a hot theme for speciaist and as a pockt watch fan I just wonder about the movenent it has no typical Aegler characteristics but others will know.
    It's definetly a mans watch out of the 30 ties with a early shock protection. In this aera modern wristwatches get very smal. It's the same as with the handys. At first they get smaler and smaler until you hear your own echo and now the people carry tablets around...in their bag and on the wrist .
    If it runs just 1 minute in all layers it sounds at best, to bonded wheels (odd oel) and should get cleaned.

Kind regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Good news- this movement has been used by Rolex. It's an FHF 30, also known as the Rolex 59. According to the Ranfft archive, it has been used in Rolex watches made for the Canadian market only.
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Rolex 59 (FHF 30)
    The shape of bridges, like in the Rolex version of the FHF 30 (and in your watch) definitely is different from the basic FHF 30:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 30
    But there goes the "different bridge shapes" thing...
    Well, that's as much as I can be of help here- others will know more.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the information and quick replies!

I understand that there is no valuations of watches on this forum, but does anyone know a website or something along those lines that I could find out the value?

You can look up completed eBay listings. I would wait for some more opinions on authenticity though. I don't know if this shape of bridges was used only in the Rolex version of this FHF or in watches of other brands as well. By the way, could you perhaps post a picture of the inside of the caseback?
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  1.23 MB
    It is just marked Stainless as well 735 has been etched in, since this is a Rolex made in Canada did Rolex not mark the cases because of the import duties?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm very skeptical. The only part that would make anyone think it's a rolex is the one part that is the easiest and most obvious to change. The term "Rubies" on the bridge means that it wasn't sold into an english market like Canada or Australia, and lack of other markings exclude the US or England anyway.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I'm very skeptical. The only part that would make anyone think it's a rolex is the one part that is the easiest and most obvious to change. The term "Rubies" on the bridge means that it wasn't sold into an english market like Canada or Australia, and lack of other markings exclude the US or England anyway.
    If you look into the entry for the Rolex 59 in the Ranfft database, you'll notice that that both versions- 15 and 17 jewels- had the word "rubies" used, and both allegedly were made for the Canadian market, so... I wouldn't dismiss it straight away. Not that I imply that it's all good, but I think that with not enough evidence to support either claim for now it should be left without conclusion. I'll try to do some more reading on these watches, maybe I'll find some sort of a clue.

I'm skeptical about this watch too- but that's because anything with a generic movement signed by a well-known brand is a target for fakers. Girard-Perregaux, Ulysse Nardin, Breitling and others are examples of that. They're sold by the ton on eBay...and sometimes hard to identify.

By the way... Blaine, is there any "59" marking on the movement? Anywhere on it?
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

I'm not sure if it is real or not. But, it isn't the only one... a quick google of Rolex standard revealed images of the following watch. It is accompanied by an interesting write up about the Canadian market. Rolex Standard Canadian | WatchesToBuy.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information