Vintage Seiko quartz watches
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dogen

Thread: Vintage Seiko quartz watches

Vintage Seiko quartz watches

Hello ...

Does anyone have experience of, and opinions about, vintage Seiko quartz watches - say those manufactured in the 1970s and 1980s?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mercurio.

Re: Vintage Seiko quartz watches

That is a huge time span during which consumer purchases of quartz watches exploded and overwhelmed the mechanical watch market. There are so many quartz watches. Can you narrow your interests? Most quartz watches although nice are usually not very collectible. There are exceptions. Seiko made several watches with high accuracy quartz movements under the King Quartz, Twin Quartz and Grand Quartz model names among other names. Early Seiko digital quartz watches such as the World Timer are also interesting and collectible. And some Seiko Lassale watches have a following. Seiko was arguably first to market a quartz watch and the original Astron is highly collectible. Below are pictures of the twin quartz movement found in several highly accurate Seiko watches from the 1970's as well as the King Quartz. I like the logo on that watch as much as the watch itself.
    Name:  142879d1227107342-vintage-wednesday-here-11-19-2008-twin.jpg
Views: 7051
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  142878d1227107251-vintage-wednesday-here-11-19-2008-seikokq.jpg
Views: 8773
Size:  35.6 KB
    Last edited by John MS; September 18th, 2012 at 15:26.

John is informative in his post. Sekio has always had a small but interesting line of high end quartz. The HAQ forum has a number of posts on their temperature compensated (hence high accuracy) watches.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

1983 Seiko made a special line designed by Giugiaro with the Calibre 7A28, a Quartz Chronograph.

"Alien":

Speed Master:

peacemaker885 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurio View Post
    Hello ...

Does anyone have experience of, and opinions about, vintage Seiko quartz watches - say those manufactured in the 1970s and 1980s?
    I use one as a "beater" when I spend time outside. It was the first decent watch I ever purchased, back when I had jsut graduated college in 1983. I have no pictures as I've never really thought of it as a "vintage" watch. I think they are still making the same models today.

At one point, some kiosk monkey put in an incorrect battery. The voltage must have been too low, as the watch ticked two seconds at a time (that's its way of telling you to change the battery). Did this for eight years, until the wrong battery finally wore out.

I love my Seikos, best value on the planet for watches,
    gatorcpa

Thank you, one and all, for your informative responses.

I have three Seiko (vintage?) watches, of the following calibres: 3421-5100 and 7813-5019R from the 1970s, and SQ100 -5Y22-6070 from the 1980s.

Of the three, the SQ100 is the most accurate; the other two tend to lag a little.

They’re all very simple watches – all they do is show the current time (more or less) and date. And it may be that what I like about them most is their very simplicity.

So, one last question: If I should ever want (need) to replace the present quartz movements, (a) would that be possible and (b) would the local Seiko centre be able to do the work?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Mercurio.

The easy part will be replacing the movements. The hard part will be finding them in new condition. You will have to find other used watches with functional movements.

Thank you, John MS.

Regards,

Mercurio.

Thread Information