Vintage Swiss Made 21 Jewels Mystery Watch...

Thread: Vintage Swiss Made 21 Jewels Mystery Watch...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Swiss Made 21 Jewels Mystery Watch...

So, I bought this at a pretty big antique store in Gloucester, England, for £20. I picked up a manual mechanical Avia from '78 from the same place a while ago, and it's excellent, for want of a better descriptor. The place sells vintage Rolexes, Tags, Omegas... you name it, there's a pocket watch or wristwatch around the corner on every floor in that place that'll set you back a few hundred pounds. There are obviously much cheaper items in the cabinets, and this was one of them; a bit of an obscurity - obviously considering the cheap-as-chips price, I wouldn't expect greatness in any form from this thing, but I like how it looks, and after a bit of a regulation from myself, it keeps time pretty well for its age. It claims to (have once been ) waterproof and antimagnetic, and sports the ubiquitous Incabloc shock protection. Sure enough, there's a "Swiss Made" mark stamped into the movement, but I have never heard of the brand this thing claims to be from!

'Retino' is the brand given, and it looks suitably 50s/60s inspired in its typography, but I can't find anything about the brand on the internet at all! I don't know if it's just some obscure homage / rip-off / chinese no-name (but from the apparent age of it, I wouldn't have thought China would be able to pump something like this out ) or a defunct small-time brand but... it doesn't look or feel crappy, y'know what I mean? I don't know if anyone can help me out here, but here are some pictures anyhow! Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Vintage Swiss Made 21 Jewels Mystery Watch...

Can't really help but neat watch. The arrangement of the cap jewels for the wheel train is not like anything that I have seen before.

I thought that myself! So unusual, but even if it all remains a mystery, that's pretty cool in itself.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

What does it say under the balance wheel? I can see something there but not well enough to read it.

I'd suggest early fifties by the hands, though this is a very unreliable way of dating. And don't underestimate incabloc, that suggests that this was a good quality watch.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I'd say it's just yet another bridge adaptation the the ETA 1080 series. Here is the 1081 with the standard arrangement plus the most common adaptation:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: ETA 1081

Hartmut Richter

Quick postscript: Another candidate is the PUW Cal. 60, also with bridge adaptation. The final choice probably depends on the keyless works. A maker's mark on the movement would certainly help the IDing process.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...0&2uswk&PUW_60
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; December 27th, 2011 at 20:15.

I see that little engraving under the balance now, but I'm having a hard time identifying exactly what it says; it looks like the top line reads the numeral '8', perhaps followed by the letter 'S', though i'm not sure... I don't have the expertise to take the movement apart to look closer. Maybe a loupe would help, but it's in a pretty tricky place to read. If i'm successful at all, i'll certainly post back here; maybe in a different light on a new day it'll suddenly become obvious.

Incidentally, there's what I think is an allusion to the gold plating on the case, between the lugs at 12 o'clock; "PLAQUE G20 PC". I'm no expert though. Also, the 'PC' part is actually arranged like a little logo; the 'P' sitting on the top left of the 'C', in a diagonal arrangement. I don't know if that helps?

Hmmm... Perhaps, AS (A. Schild)? I don't recognize this caliber.

"Retino" is definitely not a watch making company, but one of the dozens of casing companies (bought movements and assembled them in cases). It is definitely a good quality movement.

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for the input!

Looks a lot like my rodania. Just got it out of a freebie bin for kids to play with in a fancy clock shop... Thought I'd rescue from the abusive sticky hands of toddlers it along with a perfect bulova aerojet automatic. Here are some pictures of the Rodania 21 jewel, dont know much about it yet.Name:  IMAG0225.jpg
Views: 2761
Size:  960.8 KB

That was a good course of action! Looks nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information