Vintage Swiss Watch Roda?

Thread: Vintage Swiss Watch Roda?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Swiss Watch Roda?

I recently came across a Vintage watch. Its a Roda Swiss Made watch. I was trying to do research and cannot find anything. The only thing the watch has on its face is: Lifetime Mainspring and Antimagnetic. Any help would be welcome.

Re: Vintage Swiss Watch Roda?

Quote Originally Posted by tswalsh1189 View Post
    I recently came across a Vintage watch. Its a Roda Swiss Made watch. I was trying to do research and cannot find anything. The only thing the watch has on its face is: Lifetime Mainspring and Antimagnetic. Any help would be welcome.
    Pics. Pics. Pics.

Movement Pics. Movement Pics. Movement Pics.

(repetition works!)

Watches stating unbreakable or lifetime mainsprings are usually from the 30's to 50's. Little else can be said without more data. "Roda" is probably a name used to brand for a limited market somewhere. Pics will help a lot.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

If it has "Lifetime mainspring" and "Antimagnetic" but no jewel count or "Incabloc", that is usually indicative of a cheap pin lever movement.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    If it has "Lifetime mainspring" and "Antimagnetic" but no jewel count or "Incabloc", that is usually indicative of a cheap pin lever movement.

Hartmut Richter
    It's also a name close enough to two small brands Rodana and Rodinia that my suspicions are raised.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    It's also a name close enough to two small brands Rodana and Rodinia that my suspicions are raised.
    ... and Rado.

A picture is worth 1,000 words,
    gatorcpa

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Just for reference purposes I got one of these today as a freebie. Cheap pin lever indeed made by Fingerhut Products. Not sure if it's really worthy of photos!

Always good to get a pic... Even if it's just to get an idea of the brand name/ font.... So I know to stay clear!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

I will. I've not stripped a pin lever before and I'll need to at some point as Medana used them. Who knows it might even run!

I was able to find an example of Roda so I have included a picture to look at the LOGO .
    Name:  asdad.JPG
Views: 3214
Size:  99.2 KB

Having spent too much time recently in buying watches and not enough in playing with them I thought it was time that I took apart this one.

I'm not quite finished with it yet, so the case and crystal still needs some work, but first I need to know how well it keeps time.

Inside is a pin lever calibre. No jewels, no adjustments. Stamped Swiss and Fingerhut Products Co on the bridge. Has an NWO stamp on the balance cock, but Ranffts list doesn't include it, so I'm not sure who that is. The dial side though reveals that it is an ebauche from Brac Ebauches SA, presumably a calibre 51. The case is a cheap chome plated brass clip together with little attempt at waterproofing. Dial is simply moulded plastic but doesn't look too bad strangely enough.

Before I took it apart the balance moved freely but it didn't run. Now it runs well and despite it being a cheap movement it didn't appear to have a lot of wear. Given I had no idea what a pin lever was before I took it apart I was more impressed than I thought I was going to be

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information