Vintage Systeme Glashutte WW

Thread: Vintage Systeme Glashutte WW

Vintage Systeme Glashutte WW

I posted this item elsewhere and didnt get so much as a single response. This item was purchased about two / three weeks ago and has not yet arrived. Im rather curious though about what may be the manufacturer, its approximate date, movement etc. Since I dont yet have the watch I cant check under the dial for a manufacturer label and the photos of the movement so nothing.

The watch was listed as an actual wrist watch from the early 1900's. Im not assuming this might be a very rare museum piece but actually think its worth what I paid for it. It is my personal favorite style, similar to a IWC Portofino. Large roman numerals on a black dial with sub seconds. The watch is very large 49mm dial, 60mm lug to lug and 12mm high. The movement looks like an old hunting case pocket watch with the crown at the 3. What I can find when searching for 'system glashutte' is some very fascinating watches from the late 1800's early 1900's from A.Lange and movements similar to A.Lange. The difference between the movements that I can see is just the finishing and application of the company name.

Could this be an early re-case like a lot of these 'wrist watches' from around this time?

Again, I dont expect anyhing I need to take to Antiques Roadshow but would like out of curiosity to know what I may have. I really cant wait to see it in person.

I opted out of purchasing a GP for this...

A few of photos, the rest are on the flickr page.

Re: Vintage Systeme Glashutte WW

I really don't know that much about Glashutte although the watch movement certainly has that 3/4 plate style. The dial looks like it should be from around 1920 - metal rather than porcelain. The case and movement look like a pretty good match. No indications on the movement to identify the maker though.
    I rather think the movement and case were put together from the start and that it is not a recased older pocket watch. It's a 15 jewel movement which was pretty common in the 1920s.
    What is the pusher for just below the crown?

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Banned

The lugs have beed added to make a pocketwatch into a wrist watch. Can be an old conversion, or a recent one. I have seen lots of similar conversions from Ukranian sellers, but they of course have movements that are not as nice as this one.
    Puzzling subdial. XX = 20, LX=?, XL= ? ???
    Last edited by Janne; October 13th, 2008 at 23:57.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    The lugs have beed added to make a pocketwatch into a wrist watch. Can be an old conversion, or a recent one. I have seen lots of similar conversions from Ukranian sellers, but they of course have movements that are not as nice as this one.
    Puzzling subdial. XX = 20, LX=?, XL= ? ???
    LX = 60 (50 + 10)
    XL = 40 (50 - 10).

Really nice watch!!!
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Banned

Thanks, Marric! My Latin is very extinct!

BTW, odd that it has a number instead of a name on the dial!
    Last edited by Janne; October 14th, 2008 at 01:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    What is the pusher for just below the crown?
    This looks like a pin-set movement. The crown usually winds the mainspring. If you turn the crown with the pin pressed, it sets the hands.

Very smart looking watch

Hi -

Definitely looks like a Glashütte caliber: the 3/4 plate and the click are classic Glashütte style.

The movement needs work, even if it is currently keeping time adequately: the microadjustment on the balance bridge is at the very end of the "slow" position, i.e. the watch is probably running quite fast. This is an indication of a number of potential problems, primary being a weak balance spring that is not giving you enough nearly enough amplitude for proper time-keeping as the watch was designed.

It's most probably a re-dial. The hands look to be classic, but are painted white, and the dial's design looks to be heavily art-deco influenced, which would put it at the 1920s at the earliest. Comparing this dial to turn-of-the-century dials would show that the earlier dials are vastly more filigrane than this, with very thin markings on the dial, which would have been porcelain. This may even be the original dial where the porcelain has been removed or simply painted over.

The use of roman numerals on the subdial is indeed curious. These were invariably done using arabic, as roman numerals do not lend themselves easily to reading larger numbers. The division into 20-40-60 is also unusual: most are 15-30-45-60.

Am I correct in thinking this is a watch sourced in the Ukraine? The reason I ask is that some Soviet-era watches used a similar marking system on chronograph subdials, and one of their watchmakers may have automatically used such a dividing philosophy here as well.

If you like the look and it keeps time adequately, more the power to you. But I'd have gone with the GP.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Much appreciate all the responses.
    The watch is a Ukraine item, now its a Ukrainetz item.... I digress.
    I did notice the balance adjustment and assumed the same thing, hopefully nothing major outside of that.
    Its amazing how such small details can provide so much insight into the shape, era and work done to such a watch.
    Im also pretty sure the dial was redone.
    Ive been looking at very specific GP models from the 40's when they pop up but they always have very peculiar flaws or are sourced somewhere in argentina and need to send money through sketchy methods. I admit in terms of GP im in unfamiliar territory. Especially in terms of price to condition as there seems to be some huge disparity.

Thread Information