Vintage Timex find
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Vintage Timex find

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Timex find

I picked this up in a grab bag of watches at a thrift store. I figured it was quartz and opened it up to replace the battery and found this. Anybody know what this movement is? Case says made in Great Britain if that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice find. What are the 8 numbers at the bottom of the dial? Might have yourself a 71 Marlin.
    Old_Tractor likes this.

The numbers appear to say 26060 2471. It’s really hard to see and the stem doesn’t seem to come out. How do i work the watch?
    Old_Tractor likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ok, so it’s definitely a wind up watch. But i have been winding it for 15 minutes now and it’s not starting. Anything i can do myself to get the watch running? I love the look but I’m obviously not going to wear it if it doesn’t work.

Re: Vintage Timex find

Quote Originally Posted by Casualwatchguy View Post
    Anybody know what this movement is? .
    M105 Taiwanese version.

https://17jewels.info/movements/t/timex/timex-m105/

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Casualwatchguy View Post
    Ok, so it’s definitely a wind up watch. But i have been winding it for 15 minutes now and it’s not starting. Anything i can do myself to get the watch running? I love the look but I’m obviously not going to wear it if it doesn’t work.
    There are various points you can oil. The manual can be found through a google search but if you are not confident then take it to a watch maker to have it serviced.

The M24 is very simple yet durable. Sometimes a frisbee throwing motion can get them going. This one most likely has sat for many years.

The first set of numbers is the catalog number. The second set 2471 is movement 24 and year 1971.

Thanks guys! This is all really helpful! Now i just have to figure out if i want to get it serviced or not.

Re: Vintage Timex find

It's a Timex M24 movement. Certainly not worth having serviced; you can pick these watches up for a buck or two, a watchmaker is going to charge you 50 times more than the watch is worth to service.

Luckily, this is one of the few types of movements a non-experienced person can service themselves!

Do NOT take it apart! These were never meant to be disassembled. Its held together by 2 or 3 screws and if you take them out the entire thing will fall apart in your hands and will be just about impossible to put back together.

Remove the movement from the case, remove the hands and dial, and put the entire thing in the cleaning solution jar for an ultrasonic cleaning. After cleaning, remove the movement from the solution and let it dry overnight. All the pivots for oiling can be accessed without taking the movement apart. Put it back in the case and you're done!
    Last edited by mozo; May 22nd, 2019 at 17:37.
    Eeeb, Benjamin Barrera and dfx1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo View Post
    It's a Timex M24 movement. Certainly not worth having serviced; you can pick these watches up for a buck or two, a watchmaker is going to charge you 50 times more than the watch is worth to service.

Luckily, this is one of the few types of movements a non-experienced person can service themselves!

Do NOT take it apart! These were never meant to be disassembled. Its held together by 2 or 3 screws and if you take them out the entire thing will fall apart in your hands and will be just about impossible to put back together.

Remove the movement from the case, remove the hands and dial, and put the entire thing in the cleaning solution jar for an ultrasonic cleaning. After cleaning, remove the movement from the solution and let it dry overnight. All the pivots for oiling can be accessed without taking the movement apart. Put it back in the case and you're done!
    What type of solution do you recommend? And i don’t have an ultrasonic machine. Is it going to work without one?

Mozo is spot on with the ugly truth. It's a good watch to learn on. Very hard to screw up but if you're not 100% confident then I do not advise to resell it as a good running watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information