Is this vintage Timex legit? And a couple other questions
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ManOnTime
  • 1 Post By Wandering Ben

Thread: Is this vintage Timex legit? And a couple other questions

Is this vintage Timex legit? And a couple other questions

Hi WUS friends,

I recently encountered this vintage Timex on eBay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tim...wAAOSwquBaj0tP

Very attracted to the style. Wondering if the description is accurate that it's a 1980s Timex and if it's legit.

In addition, what movement is it using? Timex was using Asian movements in Philippines at the time right? It says it's a manual wind watch, so I am guessing it's a clone of Unitas? Or the actual Unitas?

Lastly, is this watch radioactive? If it's actually 1980s I assume radium is out of the question, but I'm wondering if it used tritium paint on it (curious also if it would still glow)
    Climbing and falling, with tip of tongue
    running laps around the hollow drain,
    three men remembers their bitter ex-dates
    passing by, their names flipped into a bottom

Re: Is this vintage Timex legit? And a couple other questions

The bracelet seems a little off, otherwise I don't see why the watch wouldn't be legit. Counterfeiters usually target higher range watch brands, $150 Timex should be safe

About the movement at the time they should be in-house. Timex factories were scattered all over the world late 70's, I'm not sure in the 80's...

Nicolas

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mougino View Post
    About the movement at the time they should be in-house. Timex factories were scattered all over the world late 70's, I'm not sure in the 80's...

Nicolas
    Thank you Nicolas!! Information very much appreciated :)

Do you know if the lume on this watch is radioactive (tritium)?

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Ben View Post
    Hi WUS friends,

I recently encountered this vintage Timex on eBay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tim...wAAOSwquBaj0tP

Very attracted to the style. Wondering if the description is accurate that it's a 1980s Timex and if it's legit.
    The style looks like it could be 1980s to my untrained eyes, and the stamping on the back looks authentic to Timex. These sorts of watches generally don't get faked, although given the age there is occasionally the risk that they have been assembled from parts that were never intended to go together.

In addition, what movement is it using? Timex was using Asian movements in Philippines at the time right? It says it's a manual wind watch, so I am guessing it's a clone of Unitas? Or the actual Unitas?
    What would a Swiss company like Unitas have to do with it? Many manufacturers all over the world made manual-winding wristwatch movements back in the day. Timex's movements were an entirely in-house design. Initially manufactured in the USA and then later in Scotland, Taiwan and Philippines. Here are some examples:
    Das Metatechnische Kabinett - Uhrwerkehersteller: Timex

Lastly, is this watch radioactive? If it's actually 1980s I assume radium is out of the question, but I'm wondering if it used tritium paint on it (curious also if it would still glow)
    On a Timex? I doubt it. I have a 1978 Taiwanese Timex with lume that bears none of the characteristics of radioluminescent material.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Thank you Nicolas!! Information very much appreciated :)

Do you know if the lume on this watch is radioactive (tritium)?
    Welcome. I doubt an 1980's Timex present any radioactivity. Or other brands for that matter. Only watches from the 50's or before had that problem AFAIK.

Nicolas

Hi WUS friends,

That watch will be from the late 1970s at the earliest. If you buy it there will possibly be an ink stamp on the inside of the case back with the year of manufacture. Legit? 99.9% sure. Some newer Timex watches are getting homages (Torbolo makes their version of the Weekender), but I haven't seen outright fakes.

I am curious as why you would think there is a Swiss or Swiss clone movement in it. Timex has a 164 year history of producing their own movements, and even today their quartz movements are made in their own factory.

The movement in it is most likely Timex's M25, one of the workhorses of their line up.

Zero chance of it being radioactive. Timex has never been known for their lume, and while it probably still "works" (I have some from the 50's that still light up), the longetivity is probably next to nil.

Finally, vintage Timex are currently going through a period of very large price inflation, due in part to the whole vintage watch craze, and partly because of Timex reissuing the '65 Marlin. Is that example, which seems to be in very good condition worth the asking price? That's for you to decide.
    Wandering Ben likes this.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
    I love deals on watches!

Quote Originally Posted by ManOnTime View Post
    That watch will be from the late 1970s at the earliest. If you buy it there will possibly be an ink stamp on the inside of the case back with the year of manufacture. Legit? 99.9% sure. Some newer Timex watches are getting homages (Torbolo makes their version of the Weekender), but I haven't seen outright fakes.

I am curious as why you would think there is a Swiss or Swiss clone movement in it. Timex has a 164 year history of producing their own movements, and even today their quartz movements are made in their own factory.

The movement in it is most likely Timex's M25, one of the workhorses of their line up.

Zero chance of it being radioactive. Timex has never been known for their lume, and while it probably still "works" (I have some from the 50's that still light up), the longetivity is probably next to nil.

Finally, vintage Timex are currently going through a period of very large price inflation, due in part to the whole vintage watch craze, and partly because of Timex reissuing the '65 Marlin. Is that example, which seems to be in very good condition worth the asking price? That's for you to decide.
    Thanks a lot!!

After some thoughts I decided to pass in it due to the high asking price and replaced strap (I asked them earlier). But definitely learned new information for future purchases
    ManOnTime likes this.

Thread Information