Vintage Timex Watch Question

Thread: Vintage Timex Watch Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Timex Watch Question

Hey Cats,
    Picking up this watch tomorrow but need a little help. It's a Timex Electric. It has the crown on the back but I can't seem to get it to work. It turns but it doesn't move the hands and it only gets tight. Does this crown work the same as your normal screw down crown? Do I loosen it and pull it out and then set the hands and tighten it up to lock it or is there something wrong with it. Other than that issue the watch is in like new condition with very little wear. Also does anybody know the battery number it takes? I couldn't see that info either.

Thanks in advance to all who can help.

This is a pic of the exact watch I'm buying tomorrow but it's a Google pic I looked up, my find is in vastly nicer condition.

Peace,
    Preston
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

Re: Vintage Timex Watch Question

The search function is your friend. Complete details are available.
    Last edited by Eeeb; September 2nd, 2010 at 04:53. Reason: made it simpler to find the review...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

The crown pulls to only one position to set the time and rotates either way, if nothing is happening then the plastic sleeve for stem set on the movement as seen here is likely missing but there may be other more serious issues as well. FYI these come out the front after removing the crystal. If you discover you need parts I may have them. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think the battery size is 357/303. I bought a similar one a few months ago and remember reading somewhere that all Timex Electrics took the same battery. I grabbed a cheap one from the bay...

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvictim View Post
    The crown pulls to only one position to set the time and rotates either way, if nothing is happening then the plastic sleeve for stem set on the movement as seen here is likely missing but there may be other more serious issues as well. FYI these come out the front after removing the crystal. If you discover you need parts I may have them. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the great pic, I'll drop you a note if I need any help.
    Peace,
    Preston

Hey Cats,
    Finally got it back for the watchmaker, he removed the crystal for me so I can try to fix it. The only thing I see wrong with it is the rust at the setting crown, everything else looks good. I'm trying to free the rusted part in hopes to make it go, wish me luck.
    It's a Timex 67 electric movement, 11 jewels, made in West Germany, see thread for more details.
    Timex Electric Movement # 67 - The Watch Forum

Here's my movement

Peace,
    Preston

Well this is annoying, it seems I've freed the rusty setting crown shaft but will not pull out nor will it turn, the crown just keeps spinning on the shaft. Something tells me that the crown is not supposed to pull out, you would simply turn it and it will set the hands for you, I get that feeling as it is recessed pretty well on the case back so it wouldn't move the hands by accident, I fear I may break it if I try too hard.

HELP!!!!!!!! I need someone who has the setting instructions for this movement PLEASE!!!!!!!

Peace,
    Preston

Never thought this might be the screw on crown. I have not had one of these apart yet so I don't know how the setting works, but with timex I imagine it could be different that the other backset. I did pick one up in a lot but won't get to it til I get back from vacation in a week or so.
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

Thanks dirtvictim, here's an update, I got the shaft to turn now but it does nothing, I'm thinking that it has now broken at the point where it moves the hands but is it integral to the electronics? Will it still run without it working? I could simply move the hands into position and let it run. However if it is integral then it would seem the movement is done for unless another part can be found. Also the rest of the movement is clean save for a tiny bit of rust on the regulator lever at the hair spring but there is no damage to the spring as it expends/contracts with the movement of the balance pendulum as it is not a wheel, looks more like a pendulum. It is made in West Germany and has 11 jewels, a very nicely made movement actually.

If you sort out yours can you walk me through mine or can I send it to you to have a look?

Peace,
    Preston

Victory!!! It runs! Conformation that it doesn't require connection of the crown to work. How it started then? I think it needed time for the battery to juice everything up as I'm sure the electronics (although very little of) have sat dormant for a lot of years, secondly while typing the first post minutes ago I kept shaking it in the motion that the pendulum would work which I feel energized it up enough to kick start it.

Stay tuned for finish lube work and accuracy testing.

Peace,
    Preston

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information