Vintage Tudor Submariner
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Vintage Tudor Submariner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Vintage Tudor Submariner

I'm posting this thread in the hope someone reading this might be interested in this watch. I've managed to find out a few things about the Tudor, reference 7021/0. Purchased new in 1972, Geneve, International Hotel, Rolex AD. Serial # 7393xx. Original dial, hands, bezel and crown. Crown is worn, literally beveled. Original plastic crystal is replaced, have original. It has a roulette date wheel, alternating red or black numbers. Watch serviced and oiled. Head only, pictured bracelet is aftermarket. This watch has been in the Family since its purchase date.

I'm aware many of these watches are affected by the dreaded "dial rot". My cousin is positive the dial, hands, crystal, bezel and crown are as purchased. To preserve this timepiece it's in the process of a service by a professional watchmaker whom I have entrusted for years. At this time have replaced the crystal with a NOS crystal while keeping the original crystal. It's my hope i haven't affected the originality of the watch by replacing the crystal, it was so damaged and worn I was concerned about it breaking and affecting the dial or hands.

I believe it was manufactured in 1968 or 69 caseback stamped 1V / 68, is a 25 jewel movement as opposed to the 17 jewel movement Submariners sold in Canada during this time period. The owner is here in Canada for a few more days, if anyone can think of any information I should gleam from him prior to his departure please drop me a line. It's not often we have the opportunity to get information first hand on watches nearing the 50 year anniversary.

Thanking in advance anyone who can shed a little more light on this Tudor and conversely, wish any of the above listed information is a help to other collectors.

Best regards,

fraser
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by fastfras; August 5th, 2015 at 00:03. Reason: added info
    laikrodukas likes this.

Re: Vintage Tudor Submariner

Hi,

Are you trying to sell this piece or buy this piece?
    Couldn't really figure it out from the thread :P
    Vintage Chronographs and Divers are my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GhentWatch View Post
    Hi,

Are you trying to sell this piece or buy this piece?
    Couldn't really figure it out from the thread :P
    I currently own the watch, having it serviced and am in the process of finding information. Honestly have no clue what to do with it, should i wear it or perhaps forward it on to someone who cares about it. To me, it's kinda old and beat up, to a collector, who knows?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think you should wear it- it's a really good vintage diver. Beat up? No. Light scratches on a tool-watch prove that the watch wasn't only something to show off, and that someone made good use of its potential as a tool-watch.
    Remember, you're in the Vintage forum, and here we happen to like watches with nicely aged lume and visible but subtle signs of everyday wear. This Tudor has all of that.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Nothing wrong with replacing the crystal, especially with a NOS replacement. If I were lucky enough to have one of those, I'd wear it every day. If the faded bezel and the dimmed luminous hands and indices bother you, it would probably be worth getting a whole new Tudor Submariner or Pelagos. There's a lot of history in your watch, and it would be a shame to get rid of it with new hands, dial, and/or bezel.

Enjoy and thanks for sharing!
    busmatt and Wibbs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    I think you should wear it- it's a really good vintage diver. Beat up? No. Light scratches on a tool-watch prove that the watch wasn't only something to show off, and that someone made good use of its potential as a tool-watch.
    Remember, you're in the Vintage forum, and here we happen to like watches with nicely aged lume and visible but subtle signs of everyday wear. This Tudor has all of that.
    I agree, to this end I have replaced all seals and had it pressure tested. I pick up the slightly reconditioned watch tomorrow, looking forward to seeing the dial finally. The reason it's posted here is for you guys, I know what you are all about, thought someone here may be interested. The original owner (my cousin) is a retired master carpenter, he wore this watch working for 20 years, sailed with it, explains all. There is no intention on my part to refurbish as new, none whatsoever.
    busmatt and Wibbs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by odd_and_vintage_fan View Post
    Nothing wrong with replacing the crystal, especially with a NOS replacement. If I were lucky enough to have one of those, I'd wear it every day. If the faded bezel and the dimmed luminous hands and indices bother you, it would probably be worth getting a whole new Tudor Submariner or Pelagos. There's a lot of history in your watch, and it would be a shame to get rid of it with new hands, dial, and/or bezel.

Enjoy and thanks for sharing!
    The worn look to the watch doesn't bother me, i take it for what it is, a nicely patina'd Tudor. Not going to change anymore on the watch, will try it out and if I want to buy something else, it will be sold. I'm an old guy, if I want to see a patina - all that's required is to look in the mirror!

Perfectly beat-up I would say :)
    busmatt likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

It is a very, very nice watch.
    No doubt to that!
    busmatt likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

If by "interested", you mean interested in seeing the watch and learning its history, you are in the right place. If by "interested" you mean buying it, please be aware that this is the wrong forum. We have a "Sales Corner" for that. Any "For Sale" posts here will be deleted so, if that wasn't your intention, please tread carefully to avoid misunderstandings. Thanks.

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information