Vintage Vacheron Constantin?

Thread: Vintage Vacheron Constantin?

Question Vintage Vacheron Constantin?

Hi all - I'm hoping you are able to help me fill in details about a vintage Vacheron Constantin watch. It appears to be a ladies model, 18k yellow gold case, manual wind, approx 21mm in diameter. The serial number (506xxx) dates it from 1950-1955, but there are several other numbers inside the caseback as well as on the movement that don't make sense. The paperwork indicates the following:

• Watch number 506xxx
    • Movement number 660866
    • Model 15012
    • Stamped by the dealer "July 1978".

The caseback includes the watch number on the outside and inside, as well as 7149 below the watch number.

Thank you!

Name:  2017-12-28 15.19.58.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  1.47 MBName:  2017-12-28 16.20.06.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  1.34 MB

Re: Vintage Vacheron Constantin?

What do you mean by "watch number" and why are you using the case number to date the watch? It's more typical that the movement serial number can be used to date the watch. Do you have an extract from VC?

My guess, based on the actual movement serial number is that the watch is much later. Also, earlier models had "VACHERON & CONSTANTIN" instead of "VACHERON CONSTANTIN"; I think the change was made around 1970.

The dial was probably refinished at some point, but they probably copied the logo on the original dial to some extent, so I would definitely place this watch in the 1970s, which is totally consistent with the dealer's stamp. All makes sense to me.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    What do you mean by "watch number" and why are you using the case number to date the watch? It's more typical that the movement serial number can be used to date the watch.

"Watch number" is the term used on the certificate of guarantee from VC. I thought this was the serial number, but maybe not? I was under the impression that the case number could not be used to date as some cases didn't have one. In this instance I'm referring to the 7149 number on the inside of case back.

Do you have an extract from VC?

I'd like to request one but need to know the name of the watch.

My guess, based on the actual movement serial number is that the watch is much later. Also, earlier models had "VACHERON & CONSTANTIN" instead of "VACHERON CONSTANTIN"; I think the change was made around 1970.

That is part of my confusion. What I thought was the serial number put the watch in the 1950s range.

The dial was probably refinished at some point, but they probably copied the logo on the original dial to some extent, so I would definitely place this watch in the 1970s, which is totally consistent with the dealer's stamp. All makes sense to me.
    Thank you for your help.

Thread Information