Vintage Vulcain of the 70s.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Luskar
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Vintage Vulcain of the 70s.

Vintage Vulcain of the 70s.

I've just won this one of the bay. Probably over-paid a bit, 'cause of the shipping, but I love the size and style. It's something like 40x41mm with a 20mm strap. I'm a big guy (6'5'', 320) and love the vintage vibe, but they alway seem to small!!!

Anyway, I don't really worry about today's value, but I was wondering about it's original value at the time? How does Vulcain fit in the 60s-70s market? How do they fit within the MSR Holding?

Thanks!

Here's a pic from the listing, just for fun.

Last edited by Luskar; December 10th, 2012 at 16:17.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Vintage Vulcain of the 70s.

That is quite nice looking and in decent condition. A typical late sixties or early seventies watch. As for how they fit within M.S.R., the answer is that they don't! The M.S.R. were disbanded somewhere along the line. When Vulcain were still in it, they were probably better off than Phenix and Buser - they did, after all, have the rights to the famous "Cricket" movement and resonance patent. However, the fact that they were fairly well wiped out by Revue showed that they can't have been at the very top. Nowadays, they are an independent company again.

Hartmut Richter
    Croton_Equator likes this.

Vulcain rocks. That's a beauty.
    Legend has it that JFK owned a Cricket.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Every US president starting with Truman was given a Vulcain Cricket as a gift from Vulcain. So I imagine that it is anything but a legend that JFK had a Cricket. Whether he wore it regularly or not is another matter.....

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    That is quite nice looking and in decent condition. A typical late sixties or early seventies watch. As for how they fit within M.S.R., the answer is that they don't! The M.S.R. were disbanded somewhere along the line. When Vulcain were still in it, they were probably better off than Phenix and Buser - they did, after all, have the rights to the famous "Cricket" movement and resonance patent. However, the fact that they were fairly well wiped out by Revue showed that they can't have been at the very top. Nowadays, they are an independent company again.

Hartmut Richter
    I knew that today they are independant, and nicer then the new revue.

But at the time of this particular one, they were in the group, right? 'Cause this one has the crown and movement mark with the 3 circles!

It's later that they become 'Revue Vulcain'? Or it's a different line?

Thanks again!

I´ve heard that every US president since Truman has been given a Vulcain "Cricket", however JFK wore an Omega.... it was sold in auction a couple of years ago.

Congrats on the watch!
    Vulcain rules! : )
    Ω Omega Speedmaster Professional Cal. 861 - Ω Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark II Cal. 861 - Ω Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark IV.5 Cal.1045
    Ω Omega Speedmaster Automatic Ref. 176.0016 - Ω Omega Seamaster 120 Cal. 601 - Ω Omega Pie Pan Constellation Cal. 561- Ω Omega Geneve - Ω Omega Cal. 266 - Ω Omega Seamaster 200m (Pre-Bond)- Ω Omega Seamaster Automatic - Ω Omega Seamaster f300hz Chronometer

Rolex Oyster Precision Cal. 1210 - Tudor Precision - Le Coultre "Memovox" Ref. 3020 - Universal Geneve Polerouter Date- Vulcain Cricket SS Cal. 120 - Wittnauer Professional Chronograph - Bulova Super Compressor 666 - Bulova Accutron Astronaut Cal. 214 - Seiko Chronograph 6139-002 "Pogue" - Mido Powerwind - Longines Mystery Dial - Longines Ultra-Thin - Steelco Triple Calendar - Hamilton Military

http://www.facebook.com/relojes.en.mx

Yes, at that time Vulcain was definitely in the M.S.R. - they fused in 1961. According to the German Wikipedia, Revue Thommen actually outsourced the watch production at that time to Vulcain & Studio. Nowadays, the watches are made by Grovana in Tenniken.

It is also stated that three US presidents actually wore Crickets: Truman, Eisenhower & Johnson

Hartmut Richter

Whoa! Received it on Friday, really nice piece! Look almost NOS, but it was probably re-polish and put on a new crystal. The sides are brushed and the front polish, the is dark-grey (or light black...), look like a chalkboard. Really cool vintage-modern dress look.

Strap is nice to, for a replacement on a vintage, but I 'll probably change it for a dressier.

Crown is a pain! Semi-hided crown on a manual, not good idea! For now, winding is a little stiff, but she's going the the watchmaker tonight for a clean up!

Thread Information